Do it yourself

March 28th, 2015 at 11:59:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Face
bigger fish.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 29th, 2015 at 2:17:45 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
So is this going to be a true aquarium, ie a closed system or is this just a large fish hatchery with an outflow that returns to the nearby natural creek?
March 29th, 2015 at 3:09:42 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: rxwine

That wouldn't address this...

If I can use bigger fish, I can use bigger food, and bigger food would drop my hunting times from a necessary hour to about 15min. And since I have a life outside of this and the weather can often ruin a crick for a week or more, that versatility is desirable.

=)

Quote: petroglyph
Face, if you want bigger fish and more variety, what about just taking up scuba diving?

I live in NY. Once you get passed the first 8", Erie is about 65* in the middle of summer. That's way too cold, and I hate swimming =p

Quote: Fleastiff
So is this going to be a true aquarium, ie a closed system or is this just a large fish hatchery with an outflow that returns to the nearby natural creek?

True aquarium, although seasonal. I've not yet figured out a way to keep so many large fish fed through the winter, as my small town living puts the nearest pet or bait store a good 40 minutes away. And while I could always harvest and freeze bait for winter use, the amount these things eat would mean I'd have to buy an entire freezer just for fish food.

I'm daft, surely. But not that daft =p

What you described is something I hope to have one day. I feel I have the knowledge and the willingness to run a hatchery, and having visited local ones, I feel I have a good grasp on it. I also think the market is there for different options. While I'm not familiar with what if any permits and licenses would be required for State run stocking programs, there is still a viable private market. Plenty of local restaurants are supplied by local fisherman for their perch, walleye, and catfish dishes. Garden ponds are popular, and most all contain koi or other carp types. And then there's the huge fishing scene we have on Erie, and all those bait shops that pepper the shore. They are always needing chubs, shiners, and craws.

Of course the DEC would be a not-insignificant hurdle, and much depends on what the hatchery contained as well as what crick was located nearby. But using flow from a natural creek to feed a hatchery would cut operating costs immeasurably, and in that dreamy part of my brain, that idea has taken a deep hold.

But that's a huge undertaking, one which is impossible where I live now. Perhaps someday. For now, that idea is filed under "retirement plans" =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 29th, 2015 at 3:59:36 PM permalink
Face
Well, my changing of plans ended up resulting in very good news.

The new orientation means it can't be quite as big as originally planned. Bad feng shui. I am fine with that, because it's still pretty big. A bonus is that it'll drop the estimated weight from 4,500lbs to 2,745lbs. That's huge.

Another bonus is that the original spot had it running parallel with and situated on just two joists, and would've been sitting on them almost center span. For those without experience, that means that had I just build it without thinking, I'd have certainly brought down the floor and likely a wall with it =p. The new spot is against a load bearing wall. Underneath, the support is not the 4 - 2"x 8" of my old home but wide flanged steel (I-beam). AND, the joists are not 2" x 8" but 2" x 10". And I'm not running parallel on two, but perpendicular on 4. AND they do not run the span of the house, rather just from outer wall to the support beam.

So, while I've got a bit more research to do, it appears there will be no extensive modifications needed to do this right. I need only inspect the ends of the joists for any knots or "manufacturing adjustments" that will have weakened them (holes for cables, notches for ducts), and possibly shore up and reinforce the ends to prevent shearing. Piece of cake =)

Oh, and then I've got to build and plumb the entire aquarium...

March 29th, 2015 at 4:24:04 PM permalink
Fleastiff
True aquarium, although seasonal. I've not yet figured out a way to keep so many large fish fed through the winter, as my small town living puts the nearest pet or bait store a good 40 minutes away.
The thing to concentrate on is the tiny stuff that gets eaten by so many other species. The Chinese use "layered" fish ponds, selecting large fish that prefer separate depths.

Some Washington State RV parks are very popular because they stock their fish ponds for a guaranteed catch. You might want to see what down stream businesses exist or could be started based on the "Wild Crick Fish Hatchery Reserve".

In which case you will make measurement adjustments based on sunlight and microbial surface area. Adding "depth" to your pond by adding a clear plastic skirt at the top adds more sunlight than adding "depth" at the bottom. Adding surface area by adding lots of clear plastic soda bottles lets the sun get further down that it otherwise would and this adds to your microbial growth and plankton upon which everything else feeds. Adding waterfalls or a modest air pump to keep water aerated via a solar panel can boost output too.

And don't forget them crawfish or whatever it is they sell by the zillions in Cajun Country, some local Zydeco Restaurant and Dance Lounge might work.
March 29th, 2015 at 7:05:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Speaking of fish, what are the laws on operating your own deep diving submarine.

This guy made a 3 seater and takes people down several thousand feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmeZEYaWImM

(Face's vacay videos are better, but maybe it's better in person)

(by several, I think about 2)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 29th, 2015 at 7:21:52 PM permalink
Face
Quote: rxwine
Speaking of fish, what are the laws on operating your own deep diving submarine.

I don't know, but I bet Fleastiff has an idea.

There's no way that's 2,000' though. I didn't watch the descent, but it's way too bright. I'd say a few hundred feet, max. Further, think of this...

I don't recall the exact weight of the atmosphere, but it's around 15lbs per square inch (I think, it's been awhile since high school). Water is much more dense. Roughly, you add one atmosphere of pressure for every ten feet you descend. At 10', you're at 30psi, 20' you're up to 45.

At that depth, you're at 3,000psi. Now, I'm not saying that's impossible, even for a private civilian using his own garage. But not this guy. No #$%^ing way =)

There's actually a sub here in town, similar in size but much more rudimentary than the one you offered. I actually saw it get repo'd once lol. Anyway, as far as I know, there's no licensing needed should you want to take it into Erie or whatever.
March 29th, 2015 at 7:23:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Well, my changing of plans ended up resulting in very good news.

You know though, if you had built that 4000lb+ beast, you'd have a real good story to tell here one day. (maybe not happy, but good as in good story)
March 29th, 2015 at 9:22:37 PM permalink
Fleastiff
I don't know, but I bet Fleastiff has an idea..
Well, watch one episode about Alaskan King Crab and I dare say everyone thinks of using a submarine to herd the buggers into a cage.

Its more the laws of economics and common sense that apply than fish and game laws or international laws.

Oil rigs in the North Sea often make use of immersion divers that stay down and breathe weird atmospheres. Some marine salvage work pays for stuff like that but mostly you want deep... you need ROVs: Remote Operated Vehicles. Things with lights and claws and cameras but tethered to a control cable. Think of recovering those black boxes in canyon's off Brazil's coast. French Navy submarines did some mapping and listening but it was a Remote Operated Vehicle that did the grid search and recovery.

As to drug smugglers, they don't really need submarines, they use submersibles that are visible from directly over head only. Such submersibles are akin to Liberty Ships, built for one voyage but if you get more out of them so much the better. Four or six outboard motors, snorkels for air and a boat that is visible by satellite and airplanes. Travels fast enough to outrun anyone who just happens upon it.

US waters have hydrophones and the noise of a real submarine would be a tip off. The Swedish and Finland waters are cold and Russian submarines "practice" there.

The Anti Submarine Warfare games are getting dangerous again. We all know Aircraft Carriers are "sitting ducks" but now every naval Captain starts to think of his vessel as a sitting duck. Ultra high speed torpedoes don't even have to carry an explosive payload any more. Giant rubber torpedoes simultaneously fart out propellant and collapse into an ever smaller form until its transformed from a bloated whale to a three foot fish traveling faster than a Destroyer can. Submarines get tracked by their wake not their noise.

Any rich yachtsman in his own private rig is probably going to drown even if he doesn't alert the interests of naval vessels.
April 3rd, 2015 at 10:40:53 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Upon further review, now that it is warmer, the smoke coming out of the tailpipe of my car is white and sweet smelling.

A brief search of the internet indicates that the problem is most likely coolant getting somewhere it isn't supposed to be, could be because of a bad head gasket or a cracked block.

Any estimates on how much it would cost for a mechanic to diagnose the cause, and how much it might cost to repair?

Only if it is not a cracked block, that is.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan