Do it yourself

January 2nd, 2019 at 7:45:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
That swordsmithing had to take some real patience.

Here's a guy making an axe out
of railroad rail, some of the
hardest steel you can find.
Better them than me..

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 14th, 2019 at 9:23:46 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 15th, 2019 at 7:09:06 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
re gold in sand video

wow, I can't think of any way that could be faked. And if I knew it could be done, the first thing I'd do is show everybody else too. I'm buying this hook, line, and sinker and heading to home depot before all the sand runs out. Notice I'm not using any exclamation points.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 15th, 2019 at 7:13:13 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
re gold in sand video

wow, I can't think of any way that could be faked. And if I knew it could be done, the first thing I'd do is show everybody else too. I'm buying this hook, line, and sinker and heading to home depot before all the sand runs out. Notice I'm not using any exclamation points.

I don't think it's fake, but there is not enough gold to make it worth doing as some of the commentators point out.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 15th, 2019 at 7:47:05 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
I don't think it's fake, but there is not enough gold to make it worth doing as some of the commentators point out.

Gold is about $40 per gram right now. Sand at THD is about $6 per bag. Here is what a gram of gold looks like:

So it looks like that guy is getting maybe 1/10 a gram per bag at most.

Bottom line: fun project to show the kids. Nothing more.
The President is a fink.
January 15th, 2019 at 8:28:32 AM permalink
odiousgambit
If you could get any quantity of gold at all, someone would quit selling that sand I think, trying to hit the jackpot. Call me skeptical.

I could be wrong. I didn't watch the video except for the beginning, my BS alarm went off immediately, the guy is a goofball.*

*that on the list of banned words?
January 15th, 2019 at 8:32:52 AM permalink
AZDuffman
If you could get any quantity of gold at all, someone would quit selling that sand I think, trying to hit the jackpot. Call me skeptical.

I could be wrong. I didn't watch the video except for the beginning, my BS alarm went off immediately, the guy is a goofball.*

*that on the list of banned words?

He is a goofball for sure, but the premise IMHO is correct. Ever see how they refine gold? Might be 1oz of gold in a ton of whatever is around it. The sand is in this case worth more than the gold.
The President is a fink.
January 15th, 2019 at 8:37:00 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: AZDuffman
He is a goofball for sure, but the premise IMHO is correct. Ever see how they refine gold? Might be 1oz of gold in a ton of whatever is around it. The sand is in this case worth more than the gold.

wouldn't the sand people get the gold out? couldn't cost too much at that stage of things, the process is easy, and they don't have to buy it at retail

still pretty skeptical
January 15th, 2019 at 8:45:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
wouldn't the sand people get the gold out? couldn't cost too much at that stage of things, the process is easy, and they don't have to buy it at retail

still pretty skeptical

Question is could or would? Just because you can doesn't mean you should (one of my favorite sayings.) If the ROI isn't there they are not doing it. There is gold in your laptop, but does anyone bother harvesting it? Think about it, you could advertise you take laptops for free and pull the gold and other PM out. But not enough PM to make it worth the effort.

I wonder if future generations will mine our landfills.
The President is a fink.
January 15th, 2019 at 9:09:33 AM permalink
rxwine
Also, you have to keep dumping the sand somewhere after using it.