Do it yourself

April 14th, 2019 at 1:22:37 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Thanks, Aye!

It's been several years and a number of iterations, but I still don't know lol. I've yet to have an obvious breach. I noticed when I pulled the liner this year what looked to be erosion in the wall of the deep end. I was suspecting that my folds were done improperly and were creating a sort of pipe whereby the pond drained when really full since it never seemed to rise over a certain point, and seeing that makes me think that's the case even more so. But then again, nowhere showed an obvious sign of leaking. There was no settling, no cave ins, the liner didn't rise, the surface wasn't wet... I suppose it could've just been regular ol rain that did the wall and the rest was lost to evap. That black liner does get rid of water quickly.

In any case, the sidewalk is my emergency purge / overflow area. Upon the first build years ago I just pounded a trench into the soil, making a tiny spillway from pond edge to sidewalk. It's never been used all these years and was just a depression, so I'm sure it's heaved and healed itself back up. But if I have any worries or need any adjustments, that's how it's done. Move the rocks and liner so I don't break nothing and just beat until satisfied. Crude, but I can fix a flood in 30sec =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 16th, 2019 at 3:39:12 PM permalink
Face
Maybe someone can help me get this finished...

I'm all done, structurally. Edge is rocked, rivers are rocked, totes are plumbed, trees are oriented, air rocks are installed, cattails planted. But in a rare turn, I decided to double check something.

Turns out my funky water bills weren't from irresponsible use, but because we switched to town water when we drained the reservoir. My road's water bills are now double what they were a few months ago. Whoops.

Aren't there options? Do those who have pools filled pay a premium for the speed of a tanker, or do they do it that way because it's cheaper than potable town water? Would a small town VFD do it for a donation? I only need ~2,000 gal and need it cheaper than the ~$400-$500 it'll cost via mine own pipes.
April 16th, 2019 at 4:49:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
~2,000 gal and need it cheaper than the ~$400-$500 it'll cost via mine own pipes.

You pay 25 cents a gallon for water? Every time
you flush it costs you a buck??
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 16th, 2019 at 7:30:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Not sure I understand, but maybe you should start collecting rain water out of your house gutters.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 16th, 2019 at 8:12:40 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Evenbob
You pay 25 cents a gallon for water? Every time
you flush it costs you a buck??

A total from-the-hip comment.

I don't know exactly, this problem is only just now coming to my attention. But if you remember all my flood comments, our water situation is always in a state of flux. I heard murmurings of action, and I saw the res being drained, but this is a common thing. The effects are usually reasonable and so I never paid attention to the conversations. I just know that my bill typically hovered $50-$70, depending on time of year. $95 is my recent lowest, and there's plenty of $120's and $130's to join it.

Pah.

Quote: rxwine
Not sure I understand, but maybe you should start collecting rain water out of your house gutters.

Might come to that. I do wonder / worry what all could come with it, what with shingles being mostly a petroleum product. I suppose though that that shouldn't be too much a concern for the short time it's in contact. And the gutter IS right there.

Course, now it ain't supposed to rain for a week+ -_-
April 16th, 2019 at 8:37:53 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
A total from-the-hip comment.

I don't know exactly, this problem is only just now coming to my attention. But if you remember all my flood comments, our water situation is always in a state of flux. I heard murmurings of action, and I saw the res being drained, but this is a common thing. The effects are usually reasonable and so I never paid attention to the conversations. I just know that my bill typically hovered $50-$70, depending on time of year. $95 is my recent lowest, and there's plenty of $120's and $130's to join it.

Pah.
Wasn't it last week you had some disagreement with your electric meter, and now this week with the water meter? What next, the gas man? You may have just been mopin round the house to long, it affects people different ways?

Quote:
Might come to that. I do wonder / worry what all could come with it, what with shingles being mostly a petroleum product. I suppose though that that shouldn't be too much a concern for the short time it's in contact. And the gutter IS right there.

Course, now it ain't supposed to rain for a week+ -_-
I've read people are getting arrested for collecting rain water, wouldn't that be a hoot on your lengthy rap sheet? lol

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS839US839&lei=dZ62XI-JGMeUtQXFhJSAAw&q=collecting%20rainwater%20illegal%20states&ved=2ahUKEwi2mMnbmNbhAhUL26wKHcfbAWkQsKwBKAB6BAgAEAE&biw=1093&bih=500
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 17th, 2019 at 9:28:25 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Maybe someone can help me get this finished...

I'm all done, structurally. Edge is rocked, rivers are rocked, totes are plumbed, trees are oriented, air rocks are installed, cattails planted. But in a rare turn, I decided to double check something.

Turns out my funky water bills weren't from irresponsible use, but because we switched to town water when we drained the reservoir. My road's water bills are now double what they were a few months ago. Whoops.

Aren't there options? Do those who have pools filled pay a premium for the speed of a tanker, or do they do it that way because it's cheaper than potable town water? Would a small town VFD do it for a donation? I only need ~2,000 gal and need it cheaper than the ~$400-$500 it'll cost via mine own pipes.

When I lived in Ohio the local fire department would come out and fill pools for people for free.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 17th, 2019 at 10:22:46 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
depending on time of year. $95 is my recent lowest, and there's plenty of $120's and $130's to join it.
_-

You spend $1200 a year on water? $120K
over 10 years? Spend the money and get
a well drilled, you'll save a fortune in the
long run.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 17th, 2019 at 5:43:34 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Evenbob
You spend $1200 a year on water? $120K
over 10 years? Spend the money and get
a well drilled, you'll save a fortune in the
long run.

….if you remember all my flood comments, our water situation is always in a state of flux.

There's a Superfund site in my backyard. Dunno if that'd be wise. For now I'll have faith that there's no way it'll stay like this, and just be smart until it's sorted. Which I'm not, cuz I just filled me pond =)

Losing water somewhere. I chalked the water line and it dropped about a cm over the course of ~2hrs. I'm also not happy with the rate of flow coming out of the clean tote, so that'll be the first adjustment. My pump (~1,700gal p/min) has previously had my entire pond swirling, to the point the fish not under cover had to actively swim to stay in position. This is little more than a wetland ooze, sufficient for aeration and circulation, but not fast enough to carry silt to be sorted by the rocks and foam. And since it's at such a drastically decreased level of performance, I'm hoping the same pinch that's blocking the flow is also causing an overpressure situation that's sprung a leak and causing the drop. And as the water just sitting in the rivers overnight didn't seem to drop, and I only noticed droppage when the pump was on, here's hoping that one act fixes two problems.

I've a huge connector hose stretching now. As the totes cause a 30* bend and the line is only 6"-8" long, I've made this one long enough to loop and come back, allowing for the angle without pinching the hose. I'll be able to clear it by hand tomorrow and swap it out between trailer work. 75* and sunny, there'll be fish in it tomorrow.
April 17th, 2019 at 8:31:38 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Maybe the drop was just the liner settling into the all the nooks and crannies? Usually filters take a few days to hit their stride. Maybe you should give it some time to build up some probiotics before putting live animals in there? Is Kermit still MIA?