Do it yourself

November 1st, 2019 at 2:01:13 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph
Everything is binary and open or closed isn't it? Youtube is your friend.

You're gonna have to talk to me like I'm 5 with this stuff, I'm afraid. Real green with lingo and terminology when it comes to magic electricity.

Binary to me means either / or. Black or white, on or off, yes or no. And I don't see why this stuff wouldn't be. As said, there's no fancy brain. No o2 sensors or knock sensors or variable valves or emissions or anything that would require anything but "do or do not". It's very rudimentary. Besides the 5 or so lights and the 5 or so safety switches, it's got an electric starter and a spark plug. That's freaking it. And though I can repin not only an entire freaking car but take it from carb to EFI and nonVTEC to VTEC and ODBI to ODBII with no problem, I can't manage a harness with, like, 5 freaking wires. It's making me mental that I can't read and comprehend this thing.

Quote: AZDuffman
What, exactly, is the issue? What are you trying to fix?

No spark.

It ran when I tore it down, sat in my basement 5 months, got put together in Spring. I had no power after reassembly so shopped it due to lack of time. It came back with a jumped starter relay (mine is beat up so the wrench just bypassed it) and no spark. That no spark I've been chasing 9 days now.

I've already trolled all the forums. Eliminated ALL safety switches, from Throttle OverRide to neutral switch to clutch switch to starter relay. Undid his relay bypass. Redid his relay bypass. Bypassed the starter entirely. Swapped the coil. Confirmed ~13v out of the battery. New plug. Sanded (almost all) connections. Replaced frayed / split / damaged wires properly and with care. Every thread had my exact problem, and every poster new the exact fix. And every OP says "that fixed it!" or comes back with some dumb s#$% (hur hur, forgot to turn the key on lol) but I've run the gamut and am still just turning over with no fire.

It's not rocket surgery. 80% of my accomplishments began with not having a clue of how to even begin, but I still get it done. This, OTOH, is just a daily kick in the nuts with no reprieve.

Looking at the 'gram,
let's start with #11, the CDI (ECU / the computer). This I'm assuming is good based on customer feedback; they just don't go bad. To the right, #12 and #13 is the coil and the spark plug respectively. Both are confirmed good and/or brand new, but it's where my failure is. I got no spark. Also to the right the circuit continues to #14, #15 and #16. These are safety features/switches. These are all either confirmed good or have been jumped/bypassed. I assume then that everything to the right, at least the terminal ends, are all 5-by and A-OK.

To the left, #20 - #24 is either non essential or more safety. The essential (namely the neutral switch) is confirmed good. And that out of the way, the only other wires remaining either go to the magneto (not applicable when machine not running) or the actual handlebar on/off/start switches, all of which I've confirmed are good.

I refuse to believe a harness with no external damage somehow broke a wire internally, so I haven't gutted the thing yet. But I've run the gamut. Or nearly so. I'm just missing a few crumbs, and I can't figure out how to start looking for them.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 1st, 2019 at 3:10:35 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face

I refuse to believe a harness with no external damage somehow broke a wire internally, so I haven't gutted the thing yet. But I've run the gamut. Or nearly so. I'm just missing a few crumbs, and I can't figure out how to start looking for them.

Sorry, getting out of my area of expertise. Other than wondering can you test for power at each and every point? Anything with electrical on a car is over my pay grade. You want to wire a circuit in a house post, though. That one I can do.
The President is a fink.
November 1st, 2019 at 5:59:13 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
No spark.......

This I'm assuming
I'm thinking, it's in there .

Quote:
If you can see that power has reached the coil, and checked across the coil for continuity, the only thing left is the timing, right? Which is in the brain, me thinks. Whether the crowd has ever had a bad one or not.

Try hitting the start switch and tapping the brain while doing so?

Wire doesn't generally go bad all on it's own. Contacts do, switch's , relays, etc. If you want to repair the computer, you will need another diagram for that?

I said before, I hate low voltage, and dc worse than that. It's the most backfeedingist, no grounding, corrosion and impedance sensitive, voltage droppingist force on the planet. In my trouble's it was more often than not,,,, the ground.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 1st, 2019 at 6:25:56 PM permalink
Face
I'm thinking, it's in there .

Well quit it. It's far and away the most expensive part =p

Quote: petro
If you can see that power has reached the coil, and checked across the coil for continuity, the only thing left is the timing, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't timing do... nothing? I mean, it synchronizes actions, but it doesn't PERFORM an action, correct? If it jumped a tooth or three, then I'd spark on the down stroke instead of top of compression and have a retarded ignition, but I'd STILL SPARK, yes? Derby cars are retarded as f#$%, but they still run all day long...

In any case, I can't see how a motor sitting on the floor is gonna jump a tooth. But you shook something else in my mind loose regardless. I'll go poke around once the wind stops blowing 70 ><

In my trouble's it was more often than not,,,, the ground.

There might be some learnin' here, if you don't mind going remedial with me. I strongly suspect this is what f#$%ed me out of a race car, too...

So the way I (mis)understand electricity is to make a water analogy. Electricity is your water. Wires are your pipes. I just gotta "pretend" that they're "self sealing pipes" ie if one gets broken, the pipe gets sealed and nothing can move (as opposed to pouring everywhere). So far so good?

So the battery is the pump. A simple circuit goes from + on the battery to the + on, say, a motor. Then from the - on the motor back to the - on the battery. That's a circuit. It's complete. The "water" can "flow" so when the "pump" turns on, the "mill" can turn. Round and round we go, right? Put a switch on it and it's just "capping" and "uncapping". Open the switch, line is broken, pipe is capped, motor stops. Close the switch, line is fixed, pipe uncapped, motor spins. Good so far?

I can't fit a ground into this analogy. Is a ground just a way to "uncap the pipe"? To allow it to flow, and move, and "turn the mill", so to speak, without it having to return to the "pump"?

I know things need be grounded, but WHY? That might be the crumb I need...
November 1st, 2019 at 6:35:59 PM permalink
petroglyph
Well quit it. It's far and away the most expensive part =p

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't timing do... nothing? I mean, it synchronizes actions, but it doesn't PERFORM an action, correct? If it jumped a tooth or three, then I'd spark on the down stroke instead of top of compression and have a retarded ignition, but I'd STILL SPARK, yes? Derby cars are retarded as f#$%, but they still run all day long...

In any case, I can't see how a motor sitting on the floor is gonna jump a tooth. But you shook something else in my mind loose regardless. I'll go poke around once the wind stops blowing 70 ><

There might be some learnin' here, if you don't mind going remedial with me. I strongly suspect this is what f#$%ed me out of a race car, too...

So the way I (mis)understand electricity is to make a water analogy. Electricity is your water. Wires are your pipes. I just gotta "pretend" that they're "self sealing pipes" ie if one gets broken, the pipe gets sealed and nothing can move (as opposed to pouring everywhere). So far so good?

So the battery is the pump. A simple circuit goes from + on the battery to the + on, say, a motor. Then from the - on the motor back to the - on the battery. That's a circuit. It's complete. The "water" can "flow" so when the "pump" turns on, the "mill" can turn. Round and round we go, right? Put a switch on it and it's just "capping" and "uncapping". Open the switch, line is broken, pipe is capped, motor stops. Close the switch, line is fixed, pipe uncapped, motor spins. Good so far?
Works for me.

Quote:
I can't fit a ground into this analogy. Is a ground just a way to "uncap the pipe"? To allow it to flow, and move, and "turn the mill", so to speak, without it having to return to the "pump"?

I know things need be grounded, but WHY? That might be the crumb I need...
Out at the fish pond, the water is in a closed loop [circuit]. Poor ground= pinching the return line to the pump.
November 1st, 2019 at 6:46:22 PM permalink
Face
Works for me.

O damn. Good.

Out at the fish pond, the water is in a closed loop [circuit]. Poor ground= pinching the return line to the pump.

OK, wait.

The way I saw my analogy is the ground sort of "uncapped" and allowed to flow, I assume "spilling" the "water"... I dunno, "out". Hence the stator / magneto, which would be a nearby "pump truck" "refilling" the pump.

You're saying the ground...gets the "water" back to the "pump"? The juice goes back to the battery? Like, through the frame?

What in the world. Please confirm or deny...
November 1st, 2019 at 8:06:10 PM permalink
Face
Quote: AZDuffman
Sorry, getting out of my area of expertise. Other than wondering can you test for power at each and every point? Anything with electrical on a car is over my pay grade. You want to wire a circuit in a house post, though. That one I can do.

Well, if reading along at any point inspires you to show off knowledge, drop it. I don't think this is an automotive problem. I think it's more a conceptual problem. Like, I remember "knowing" how an ICE works. I knew about valves and pistons and crank. But it wasn't until understanding, the real comprehension of the physics of it all, that I start to know how to fix it. I don't have to Google "backfires"; through understanding I just know it's a case of spark when there shouldn't be, whether by timing retardation or wire seep. Or, if not that, then you've an exhaust leak further back, allowing in air that mixes with the unburnt fuel and the 1,200* exhaust and kapow. I don't need to look it up, it's not witchcraft. It just makes sense.

I don't know electric like that. As just shown, I'm not even at 101 level yet. I can do stuff, but it's mostly rote; I don't "get it" yet. And I think that's the jam here.
November 1st, 2019 at 8:40:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
O damn. Good.

OK, wait.

The way I saw my analogy is the ground sort of "uncapped" and allowed to flow, I assume "spilling" the "water"... I dunno, "out". Hence the stator / magneto, which would be a nearby "pump truck" "refilling" the pump.

You're saying the ground...gets the "water" back to the "pump"? The juice goes back to the battery? Like, through the frame?

I never really got the water analogy. We just used electrical terms.

To much going on to try to fit the water example into every electric situation. There are similarity's, but do water guys go around saying water is just like electricity?
November 2nd, 2019 at 5:11:28 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: rxwine
Was about to buy a air purifier, but I may just do this instead.

Hepa filters are better than Hazardous ozone generators, that do nothing to purify the air, and only create a toxic gas that can permanently damage the lungs.

No government agency has the authority to regulate them.

"In addition to aldehydes, ozone may also increase indoor concentrations of formic acid, both of which can irritate the lungs if produced in sufficient amounts. "

"Recovery from the harmful effects can occur following short-term exposure to low levels of ozone, but health effects may become more damaging and recovery less certain at higher levels or from longer exposures." EPA
November 2nd, 2019 at 8:00:10 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
O damn. Good.

OK, wait.

Yes Face the electricity has to get back to the battery and for many of the parts that use it that path is through the frame. I assume when vehicles were first invented the inventor said 'hey I can save time and money I will just use the metal frame as a wire to return the electricity to the battery'. We have suffered with poor grounding connections ever since. The grounding you do with 120 volt in your home is for a completely different reason and has nothing to do with this conversation.

To get back to your water analogy think of the battery as your pump with a very small reservoir and the water must return to the pump for it to keep pumping. The equipment that is using the electricity is like a little turbine being spun by the electricity as it goes through on the way back to the pump (battery). The water analogy breaks down the more you try to use it so don't take it to far, it will just confuse you more.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin