NBC sitcom''s last hope

Page 2 of 8<12345>Last »
March 11th, 2015 at 7:42:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
There's a new show this season called Forever.

March-April 2008 Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as John Amsterdam, an immortal (born 1607) policeman in New York City. The show "New Amsterdam" lasted 8 episodes.

Ioan Gruffudd plays Doctor Henry Morgan who was born in 1779, and works as a forensic analyst for the NYPD. The show "Forever" will probably last 20 episodes.

I've watched both show knowing they would get cancelled and they weren't very good. But for some reason, I am a sucker for a time travel story. I've seen a lot of bad time travel movies as well.

One of the first books I ever read as a child.
March 11th, 2015 at 8:38:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Forever isn't bad, it's just very average in
creativity. Being immortal isn't much of
a gimmick. Like Sleepy Hollow, another
crime show with a dumb gimmick. For
20 years crime shows are to TV what
westerns were in the 50's and 60's.
Burnout has to be coming. Look at
a TV guide in 1963 and westerns
ruled.

I'm watching more docu's lately, at
least I learn something. An Idiot
Abroad is funny and it shows why
I would never want to visit those
countries.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 12th, 2015 at 8:15:22 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
I've watched both show knowing they would get cancelled and they weren't very good.

In the 80s or 90s, a friend liked to watch a show about an immortal vampire who worked with the police. I forget what it was called.

Quote:
But for some reason, I am a sucker for a time travel story. I've seen a lot of bad time travel movies as well.

There are few really good time travel movies. IMO they all get bogged down in causality paradoxes, and either ignore them or brush them hastily aside. One that doesn't, but rather has fun with them, was the Back to the Future trilogy; IMO the best time travel movie ever (and too bad we don't have many of the things shown in the movie version of 2015).

The Grand Original, H.G. Wells' "The Time Machine," did not even consider paradoxes. I wonder if this was because the author chose not to, or because he merely wanted to tell a story about the future and have the protagonist come back to share it. In any way, the time span is waaaaaay too long. Oh, and in the book he doesn't stop to see WWIII about to happen.

Futurama also makes fun of paradoxes. Brilliantly so in "Bender's Big Score." But also in an amazing number of episodes.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 12th, 2015 at 10:17:07 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forever_Knight That one?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 12th, 2015 at 11:04:02 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
The Grand Original, H.G. Wells' "The Time Machine," did not even consider paradoxes.

While it is possible to have a paradox with forward time travel (since the narrator should return to the present), it is much more obvious with backwards time travel. HG Wells was writing about forward travel to the distant future. "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" had no paradox that I can remember.

Time travel has existed in legends and myth since ancient times. HG Wells major contribution to the concept was a machine that was constructed to be the catalyst of the event.

There was a story in 1881, called "The Clock that went Backward" that briefly touched on a paradox. However, the paradoxes started to appear in a number of different writings in the late 1930's and 1940's.

Richard Phillips Feynman (1918 – 1988) was an theoretical physicist who, AFAIK, was the first physicist to not just consider time travel possible, but to incorporate it into his work (starting in 1948) and published in Physical Review 76 in 1949. He interpreted anti-matter as normal matter travelling backwards in time.
March 12th, 2015 at 2:08:43 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
While it is possible to have a paradox with forward time travel (since the narrator should return to the present), it is much more obvious with backwards time travel. HG Wells was writing about forward travel to the distant future. "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" had no paradox that I can remember.

Genres evolve as much as living beings. Older science fiction is rather different from the modern varieties. So it is with the time travel sub-genre.

Quote:
Time travel has existed in legends and myth since ancient times.

Really? I don't recall any off hand.

Quote:
Richard Phillips Feynman (1918 – 1988) was an theoretical physicist who, AFAIK, was the first physicist to not just consider time travel possible, but to incorporate it into his work (starting in 1948) and published in Physical Review 76 in 1949. He interpreted anti-matter as normal matter travelling backwards in time.

I've heard that. Time is a huge issue in physics. From what I gather, equations work the same whether time runs forward or backward, and there is no way to determine why time runs, apparently, in one direction. recently I heard an off-hand remark that there may be two dimensions of time rather than one, which seems really odd.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 12th, 2015 at 4:00:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Really? I don't recall any off hand.

Admittedly the oldest myths involve a one way trip into the future.

Raivata Kakudmi travels to heaven to meet the Brahma and when he returns to earth many ages have passed.

Islamic story of moving ahead 3 centuries

The oldest story involving going backwards in time and then returning to the present was written in Russia in 1836. Alexander Veltman published Predki Kalimerosa: Aleksandr Filippovich Makedonskii (The Forebears of Kalimeros: Alexander, son of Philip of Macedon), where the narrator goes to ancient Greece, meets Aristotle, and goes on a voyage with Alexander the Great before returning to the 19th century.

In 1948 Feynman imagined particles A+ and A- as matter and antimatter created by an equivalent amount of energy in an event alpha and hurled in different directions. Eventually A- collides with B+ (another piece of matter) in event beta and they explode into pure energy. Remember matter or energy is never created or destroyed, it is only turned from one form to another.

He felt that the physics could be described with equal validity as B+ travelling forward in time until event beta which is enough energy to send the particle travelling backwards in time. The backward time travelling particle is described as antimatter A- . Event alpha (which is earlier in time than event beta) is the return of the particle to forward time motion, but seen as particle A+. So instead of three particles, A+, A-, B+ and a series of events perceived as collisions or creations, it is just on particle moving forward and backward in time.
March 12th, 2015 at 7:07:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Holy crap, Sophia Veraga. I can't stand it.. She's the
highest paid actress on TV, earning almost 40mil
a year.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 12th, 2015 at 7:44:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
She might be the highest paid, period. I don't
know of any H-wood actress pulling in 40 mil
a year.
March 12th, 2015 at 8:15:40 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
She might be the highest paid, period. I don't know of any H-wood actress pulling in 40 mil a year.

Keep in mind that Sofia Vergara only makes 25% of that amount from her acting pay for Modern Family. The bulk of it comes from endorsements. The highest paid female in television strictly from the actress salary is Kaley Cuoco.

Last June Forbes listed these female celebrities as the highest earnings.

Beyonce Knowles 33 $115 M
Oprah Winfrey 61 $82 M
Ellen DeGeneres 57 $70 M
Taylor Swift 25 $64 M
Sandra Bullock 50 $51 M
Gisele Bundchen 34 $47 M
Katy Perry 30 $40 M
Jennifer Lopez 45 $37 M
Sofia Vergara 42 $37 M
Miley Cyrus 21 $36 M
Page 2 of 8<12345>Last »