Blocking autoplay with Firefox

March 10th, 2015 at 9:23:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Does anyone using Firefox know if there is a way to turn off all or block sites from autoplaying videos? I generally just want to read the site and am in courthouses from time to time where the noise is an issue.
The President is a fink.
March 10th, 2015 at 11:48:24 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
the noise is an issue.

Try turning off the sound : )
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 10th, 2015 at 12:18:35 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph
Try turning off the sound : )

Need it for the things I do want.
The President is a fink.
March 10th, 2015 at 12:44:37 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Need it for the things I do want.

I had a big smiley face at the end : )

It hit home with me. I have been trying to install ad blocker on our pc's. One was successful and the other I don't know yet, but the pc experience has changed and we are slow to adapt. I just want it back like it was, I may have to surrender to the advertisers and data miners? They have me bent over right now and I need to know some things.

It doesn't seem fair at all through no fault of my own that malicious advertisers can continue to bombard me with stuff I would never purchase. And the one's I hate the most, flash at me and suck my brain over to the side of my screen and away from what I am trying to do.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 10th, 2015 at 12:57:54 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
This will stop flash videos:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashblock/

Otherwise, switch to Chrome. I have no idea why Firefox doesn't have a native setting to stop video's autoplaying. But then, I hardly use firefox except for testing purposes.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 10th, 2015 at 1:49:33 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph
I had a big smiley face at the end : )

Yeah, could have worded the reply better. Waiting to see when the new gig starts. Played poker and monied yesterday, so I should be in a better mood.
The President is a fink.
March 10th, 2015 at 1:50:12 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: TheCesspit
This will stop flash videos:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashblock/

Otherwise, switch to Chrome. I have no idea why Firefox doesn't have a native setting to stop video's autoplaying. But then, I hardly use firefox except for testing purposes.

Trying it. Not ready to switch to Chrome just yet. Didn't like the look n feel last time.
The President is a fink.
March 11th, 2015 at 10:41:44 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Trying it. Not ready to switch to Chrome just yet. Didn't like the look n feel last time.

Chrome has a lot more power behind it in the way it's been developed, and doesn't have quite as many bugs. These are things that if you're not working quite as intensively as I am you won't notice as much, or probably care about.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life