Computer Help Desk ...

Page 1 of 261234>Last »
March 11th, 2015 at 11:12:44 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
This thread is our very own Computer Help Desk or How to Reboot prior to Saving Lengthy Files to Disk.
March 11th, 2015 at 11:16:20 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Question: What can I do if I'm using Windows XP and in notepad or in ordinary Firefox windows, every time I try to use the keyboard for input all I get is a beep.

I can add text to the Notepad document by copy and paste but I can't text to it by simply typing it.

I can add text to a Google Search box by copy and paste, but I can't type text in it, all I get is a beep in I try to give it keyboard input?
March 12th, 2015 at 11:10:10 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Fleastiff
Question: What can I do if I'm using Windows XP and in notepad or in ordinary Firefox windows, every time I try to use the keyboard for input all I get is a beep.

I can add text to the Notepad document by copy and paste but I can't text to it by simply typing it.

I can add text to a Google Search box by copy and paste, but I can't type text in it, all I get is a beep in I try to give it keyboard input?

Keyboard buffer is probably full, or a key is stuck.

Try unplugging it and replugging it in, or rebooting the machine.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 12th, 2015 at 11:42:41 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Everybody needs a little levity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHZ8ek-6ccc

Also "the bears" are a regular que for humor. Have you seen any of these "Xtra Normal" bears quick humorous tutorials on many subjects, including iphones?

Riotous ;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg enjoy and share
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 12th, 2015 at 12:00:41 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Good thread, Flea. Been thinking of doing something similar; now I don't have to!

What is a modem and how do I get one? (Oh, I'm as bad with computers as I am with math =p)

My Time Warner bill keeps on going up, to the point it causes near rage every quarter or so. What was a $35 bill now sits at $75, and were I not so dependent on it, I'd tell them to go fly a kite. I don't really have options here in the sticks, and my propensity to play online games while simultaneously streaming video means I can't drop the "turbo" (hardeehar) upgrade. But, this $10 per month modem rental fee (cringe) seems a place for improvement.

I vaguely remembering the installer guy saying I could just buy one and return TW's to get around it, but I didn't know if it'd be as simple as purchase, plug, and play. Can anyone confirm whether it is, or if not, what steps need be taken to accomplish this? I can't forgive myself for continuing to pay $10 p/month for 24 months on a device that doesn't even cost $200 outright.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 12th, 2015 at 12:13:49 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: Face
Good thread, Flea. Been thinking of doing something similar; now I don't have to!

What is a modem and how do I get one? (Oh, I'm as bad with computers as I am with math =p)

My Time Warner bill keeps on going up, to the point it causes near rage every quarter or so. What was a $35 bill now sits at $75, and were I not so dependent on it, I'd tell them to go fly a kite. I don't really have options here in the sticks, and my propensity to play online games while simultaneously streaming video means I can't drop the "turbo" (hardeehar) upgrade. But, this $10 per month modem rental fee (cringe) seems a place for improvement.

I vaguely remembering the installer guy saying I could just buy one and return TW's to get around it, but I didn't know if it'd be as simple as purchase, plug, and play. Can anyone confirm whether it is, or if not, what steps need be taken to accomplish this? I can't forgive myself for continuing to pay $10 p/month for 24 months on a device that doesn't even cost $200 outright.

Contact the cable company and tell them you want to buy it outright. In the past, I have had the cable modem given to me when I asked and they looked how long I had been renting it.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 12th, 2015 at 12:32:01 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I don't really have options here in the sticks, and my propensity to play online games while simultaneously streaming video means I can't drop the "turbo" (hardeehar) upgrade. But, this $10 per month modem rental fee (cringe) seems a place for improvement.

Makes me wonder how hard it would be to become an ISP. Find a town of 10,000 or so and get a local franchise.
The President is a fink.
March 12th, 2015 at 12:41:04 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: AZDuffman
I don't really have options here in the sticks, and my propensity to play online games while simultaneously streaming video means I can't drop the "turbo" (hardeehar) upgrade. But, this $10 per month modem rental fee (cringe) seems a place for improvement.

Makes me wonder how hard it would be to become an ISP. Find a town of 10,000 or so and get a local franchise.

The margins are very thin, but it can be done. There's at least three here (population 300,000+). One specializes in providing dial up access, though more as a co-operative these days than a real business.
March 12th, 2015 at 2:05:28 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Non profit community oriented ISPs have tutorials on how to set things up, equipment, costs, etc. There are many of them in the PNW but some other areas of the country started passing legislation to outlaw free ISPs in cities because cable companies wanted the markets.
March 12th, 2015 at 2:16:17 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: TheCesspit

Contact the cable company and tell them you want to buy it outright. In the past, I have had the cable modem given to me when I asked and they looked how long I had been renting it.

You can buy a cable modem from Amazon or other online retailers, as well as national retailers like Best Buy, Walmart, Target, etc. Note that TWC has a list of compatible models on their website, so you have to stick to the ones they recommend. It is simple to replace the one you have, but you do have to call the TWC service line (during their business hours) to have them "activate" your new modem on their line (the codes you will need to provide to them are printed on the modem). Note that they will not stop charging you for the modem until you return it to them.

I would recommend getting one with a built in Wi-Fi router. Motorola is a big player in this game.
Page 1 of 261234>Last »