Computer Help Desk ...

May 31st, 2018 at 2:55:52 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I need internet access, preferably cheap.

Can NOT do anything that requires a satellite dish or any other type of external hookup.

Want to avoid Comcast or the like. All cable companies are rip offs but Comcast is the worst of them.

Would like to get SOME tv channels as well.

I have a NET10 account with a zillion accumulated voice minutes. COULD switch to a DataPlan with them but I think this involves making a cell phone or Bluetooth call everytime I use the internet. Not sure if that is feasible or sensible. My current phone is a teensy weensy screened 'flip it' phone that I really can't figure out how to use due to small screen, small buttons and large fingers.

I just saw a tv add for a 55 years and older Plan thru Verizon that is both voice and data and won't get its price jacked up later.

Do I need to buy or should I buy one of these wireless hotspots that hosts its own signal. I don't think I'm going to be near any existing wifi networks that I could use .

Don't know if Wifi is preferable to cellular phone calls that deliver internet access. I know there are cell phone towers nearby.
May 31st, 2018 at 3:43:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff

Do I need to buy or should I buy one of these wireless hotspots that hosts its own signal. I don't think I'm going to be near any existing wifi networks that I could use .

I was on a crew where we had those little hotspot squares. We ate data way, way faster than our company imagined. You gotta be real careful about watching YT, watching Netflix is out of the question.

This was 4 or 5 years ago. It is possible there are better plans out there, but estimate your use careful before you lock in.
The President is a fink.
May 31st, 2018 at 5:59:08 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I need internet access, preferably cheap.

Make a deal with a neighbor and share the cost
I am sure my neighbors can get my wifi signal but cant use it due it being password protected

I don't pay for internet
Work from home
Company pays for it
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 31st, 2018 at 12:20:20 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: terapined
Make a deal with a neighbor and share the cost
One neighbor likely to give me a cup of gin. The other neighbor seems more likely to think I'm a narc if I even knock on the door.
May 31st, 2018 at 3:34:40 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Don't know if Wifi is preferable to cellular phone calls that deliver internet access. I know there are cell phone towers nearby.

Five years ago, WiFi and wired data was being consumed at 28X the rate of cellular data, and costs often reflected that difference.

Quote: WiFi first
According to CTIA, at the end of 2013, mobile networks were delivering a total of 269 petabytes of data per month. Fixed residential high-speed Internet services, on the other hand, delivered 7,474 petabytes per month, half of which was via Wi-Fi (according to Cisco). That is nearly a 7474/269 ~ 28:1 fixed-versus-mobile ratio. The average American household consumes 100 gigabytes of data per month at a cost of $30 to $80. According to a report from The Wall Street Journal, the average mobile phone user, on the other hand, consumes less than 1 gigabyte of data per month over the mobile network.

Today, there are some real options. My friend's cleaning lady, who is raising children as a single mother, uses nothing but cellular data for television, voice calls, texting and other internet activities. She finds it much cheaper than a wired connection to her home.

If you are horrified at the idea of watching television on a phone or a tablet, (very few are over 7" to 10") then you should know that there are devices to "cast" your signal onto a bigger screen.

If you post what you are paying now for cell service, and television (perhaps you just have an antenna) we might be able to give you some low cost options.
May 31st, 2018 at 3:51:05 PM permalink
Fleastiff
My Netten cell service is about 36.00 a month and lets me have 300 voice minutes most of which I never use.

I have wifi from my host's network so I pay nothing for it, but will be moving soon and need to arrange:
data access and if possible TV access but want to avoid a Cable company.

Ithink its known as Broad Area Broadband that I need. Not sure.
Gonna be a few days anyway.
July 3rd, 2018 at 5:39:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Here's a new one. My laptop keyboard
is wonky. The g & h & backspace & mute
& escape no longer work. This makes
typing anything impossible.

I looked it up and it's a common problem
with no real solution. Get a new keyboard.
It's my bedroom computer so I've plugged
in an external keyboard when I type. I use
that computer mostly for streaming anyway.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 4th, 2018 at 6:21:48 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I have that problem about once a year on one of my laptops (I have four that I use). It usually costs around $15 for a replacement on Amazon or Ebay.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 7th, 2018 at 11:44:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Evenbob
Here's a new one. My laptop keyboard
is wonky. The g & h & backspace & mute
& escape no longer work. This makes
typing anything impossible.

That was easily solved. I got a Logitech
wireless keyboard and set it on top
of the laptop keyboard. It's the perfect
size and even has a mouse pad. It has
same functions, even mute and volume
control. It's actually easier to type on
because it's elevated now. Seldom are
solutions this easy.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 13th, 2018 at 3:50:32 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Signed up for Comcast since it has a monopoly in this building.
They wouldn't send a brochure, only talk to a salesman. Bad situation.
If I wanted BBCinAmerica channel, which I normally would, it would have been 195 a month. Well forget that!! I settled for almost seventy dollars a month but still don't have it hooked up due to difficulty in figuring out which cables go where and how to get decent surge protection and how to figure out why the wifi box from Comcast has such a short power cord and I can never remember to go buy an extension cord so I won't have to fumble around behind that heavy couch.