Computer Help Desk ...

Page 3 of 14<123456>Last »
April 21st, 2016 at 6:28:07 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 23
Posts: 1929
Quote: AZDuffman
After the disaster that was Windows 8 I have ignored the upgrade. I will be getting a new laptop late this year then I figure I have to get 10, but it will be a clean install and not an upgrade. I have kept my parents from the upgrade also.


Windows 10 is a fine OS, with a much more old windows-like interface than 8's hybrid tablet/desktop monster. . Upgrading was easy in my case, and on my parents machine.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 21st, 2016 at 6:30:41 AM permalink
terapined
Member since: Aug 6, 2014
Threads: 38
Posts: 3297
Quote: TheCesspit
Windows 10 is a fine OS, with a much more old windows-like interface than 8's hybrid tablet/desktop monster. . Upgrading was easy in my case, and on my parents machine.


Yes my experience upgrading to Windows 10 was very easy
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 21st, 2016 at 6:37:47 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 103
Posts: 6980
Quote: TheCesspit
Windows 10 is a fine OS, with a much more old windows-like interface than 8's hybrid tablet/desktop monster. . Upgrading was easy in my case, and on my parents machine.


Glad you had good luck with it. They will remain on probation with me. My parents react bad to interface changes so I will hold out as long as I can there.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
April 21st, 2016 at 9:21:14 AM permalink
petroglyph
Member since: Aug 3, 2014
Threads: 12
Posts: 2203
My pc offers me 8.1 for free, is that better than 8?
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
April 21st, 2016 at 9:40:22 AM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 330
Posts: 11578
Quote: petroglyph
My pc offers me 8.1 for free, is that better than 8?


No.

But I think once you upgrade to 8.1 you should be able to upgrade that to Win10.

According to MS, all PCs running Win7, 8 and 8.1 can upgrade free to 10 for the first year of 10's existence. I've upgraded my laptop and desktop that way (8 and 7 respectively).
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
April 21st, 2016 at 11:44:22 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 61
Posts: 3163
Quote: TheCesspit
Windows 10 is a fine OS, with a much more old windows-like interface than 8's hybrid tablet/desktop monster. . Upgrading was easy in my case, and on my parents machine.


I still hate it. I got those "ZOMG, upgrade free!!1!" messages when it came out. How about "No?". They continued with increasing attempts at ZOMG, which I likewise ignored. Now it's gone from a bitty pop up window to the whole GD screen.

FOH. I'd still be using '95 if I had the option.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 21st, 2016 at 11:59:07 AM permalink
petroglyph
Member since: Aug 3, 2014
Threads: 12
Posts: 2203
Quote: Nareed
No.

But I think once you upgrade to 8.1 you should be able to upgrade that to Win10.

According to MS, all PCs running Win7, 8 and 8.1 can upgrade free to 10 for the first year of 10's existence. I've upgraded my laptop and desktop that way (8 and 7 respectively).
Do you like 10?

What is easiest for the digitally illiterate?
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
April 21st, 2016 at 1:09:10 PM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 330
Posts: 11578
Quote: petroglyph
Do you like 10?


It's good enough that I haven't felt the need to add a Win7-style start menu replacement yet.

Better yet, the desktop runs a whole lot faster since I upgraded. Especially boot times.

Quote:
What is easiest for the digitally illiterate?


Win10.

Win 8 is NOT a desktop/laptop PC OS.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
April 21st, 2016 at 1:17:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 330
Posts: 11578
Quote: Face
I still hate it. I got those "ZOMG, upgrade free!!1!" messages when it came out. How about "No?". They continued with increasing attempts at ZOMG, which I likewise ignored. Now it's gone from a bitty pop up window to the whole GD screen.


The info is when the OS reaches one year after release, it won't be free to upgrade anymore.

So upgrade for free while you still can.

Quote:
FOH. I'd still be using '95 if I had the option.


I think much of what you do everyday on a PC wouldn't run on Win95. Some can't run on XP anymore.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
April 22nd, 2016 at 6:08:20 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Member since: Oct 27, 2012
Threads: 50
Posts: 4997
Quote: Nareed
I think much of what you do everyday on a PC wouldn't run on Win95. Some can't run on XP anymore.

Yeah, I can't run Gmail properly on XP, I can't stream video with it too well..... but I just fuond out that I've been on a 2G Nokia phone for almost a dozen years.
Page 3 of 14<123456>Last »