Computer Help Desk ...

July 19th, 2016 at 8:43:57 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Have you tried signing in with his name and password and then trying to change the administration authorizations.
July 19th, 2016 at 8:58:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: AZDuffman
New question--how do you change and remove an administrator from a Windows 10 laptop?

Says it's easy, but looks like there are several steps.

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-10&faq=27
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 20th, 2016 at 3:13:59 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Nareed
The bad news is he claims it will take up to a week. Knowing him, that means it should be done by Monday.

Just got my tablet back with Kit Kat 4.4.4 :)

I still have to finish setting up by reconnecting it to the Google account, then I've got to download all the apps I used to have (that I can remember). My only worry is that Facebook refused to update the last few times it tired. It would download, then stay an awful long time "installing" then crap out. It succeeded about one every 20 tries or so. Hopefully it will download and run now.

Hopefully, too, Futurama Game of Drones will run better. It ran with Lollipop, but it took like 10-15 minutes from the moment you tapped the icon to the moment the level loaded. Then it liked to freeze mid-game.

I may also rename the tablet, if I can. I'm thinking Caroline this time.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 21st, 2016 at 6:36:49 AM permalink
Nareed
It's like night and day. The nexus is now running as it did when it was new :)

But.

There's always one. When downloading apps, the play store refused to find Futurama, Candy Crush Soda, and more. Why? No idea. I had to look them up on the desktop PC, and order the installation from there. They run just fine.

Best of all, I can shut it down when I go to bed, turn it on when I wake up, and it's ready to run inside of three minutes. As a comparison, with Lollipop I had to keep it on through the night, because it took as much as 30 minutes to be responsive after being turned on.

Seriously, what's up with that? The Nexus tablets are a Google product 8though produced by a third party), as is Android. They should test how they'll work together and explain the upgrade will slow you down. As it is, the upgrade uploads itself to the tablet without asking, and then keeps a notification in the drawer until you upgrade. I have it right now <roll-eyes>. It can't be dismissed, and if you tap it by accident, you're screwed again.
July 23rd, 2016 at 9:30:06 AM permalink
Nareed
Remember you have until July 29th to take advantage of the free upgrade to Win10 from Win7 (or from Win8(.1), should anyone in the world really be running it still for some insane reason). That's this Friday.

This is the last reminder, too.
July 27th, 2016 at 7:31:33 AM permalink
Nareed
aside from running faster, not lagging often, not getting stuck, not having programs fail to respond, etc. now the tablet is using up less power.

That's perhaps not a direct consequence of the OS, but an indirect one. That is, the tablet spends less time with the screen on frozen, doing nothing but draining the battery. But it has also something to do with my changed habits. As I now run Audible and the podcast player from the phone most of the time, the tablet doesn't use up battery when I'm cooking, driving or working out.
August 25th, 2016 at 4:41:29 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Does anyone know why CHROME will let me open multiple tabs but won't actually go to any site until I click on that particular tab and only then actually downloads that site?
August 25th, 2016 at 8:47:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I am not sure I understand your question

Chrome has three options "On Startup"
1) Open the "new tab" page
2) Continue where you left off
3) Open a specific page or set of pages ...set pages

Do you mean you use option #3?
August 26th, 2016 at 3:10:01 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Pacomartin
I am not sure I understand your question
Neither am I.

I open Chrome and it opens to a normal New Tab page.... with a display of various Gourmet Cooking sites that I visit most frequently.

I hit Control and Site One then I hit Control and Site 2 and Control and Site 3.

Three additional tabs open up saying Site 1, Site 2, Site 3 but until I actually click on those separate tabs the computer doesn't actually load those sites. It sits dormant until I click on each separate tab and does not find the site until I've got that tab as the top page.

It used to be that all three sites would be fully loaded, but no longer. Each now loads only when I actually bring the individual tab to the top.
September 5th, 2016 at 1:55:53 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
How about a multi-monitor walkthrough?

I've been planning on a three screen for sim racing in the future, but I find a double screen would be a great improvement now so I'm looking for some help. What all is there to getting this fired up?

I use a 40" flat screen now, and I have another sitting right here. These are what I'd like to use, and would prefer hooking them up via the HDMI cable. My PC is as follows...

Windows 10 (which was raped unto me without prompt and post repeated refusal =p)
Intel quad core i7-3770 CPU @ 340GHz
16GB RAM
64 bit OS
NVIDEA GeForce GTX 660 vid card

You should know now that I'm a total Luddite, so if help is given, simplify ;) I'm looking for what I need hardware wise (another HDMI cable? That plus some sort of splitter?) and how to get the PC to do it. Is there a tutorial somewhere? A wizard in the vid card perhaps? If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.