2 votes (33.33%)
1 vote (16.66%)
1 vote (16.66%)
1 vote (16.66%)

6 members have voted

March 15th, 2015 at 4:25:03 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Google will be debuting a Chromebook with 2 USB-C ports.

That makes more sense, though I still think if you look up Chromebook in the thesaurus you should find "paperweight." ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 15th, 2015 at 5:46:54 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Nareed

That makes more sense, though I still think if you look up Chromebook in the thesaurus you should find "paperweight." ;)

Best portable tool I have ever bought. Use it for all trips I take. Highly recommend a Chromebook to anyone who just needs a machine to use the internet and some light tools (text editor, etc). Has onboard storage for your needed files or books to read. Probably can shove a movie on it too, but never tried.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 15th, 2015 at 6:40:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

I like that idea much better. If you are in an environment with poor wi-fi you can hook up to ethernet, and still have a secondary port for thumb drive or with an HDMI converter to look at it on a bigger screen. I just feel like I have to overthink one point e to get out of every situation with whatever equipment.
March 15th, 2015 at 7:18:41 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: TheCesspit
Has onboard storage for your needed files or books to read.

Is there Office for Chrome?

I know Google Docs and others will read and edit Word and Word-compatible files. But will your pagination remain unchanged? Will tables remain unchanged? Sometimes I put in hours on a long document (up to 250+ pages), with tons of painstaking tables, which are just legible enough. I'd hate to see them ruined on a different word processor.

On other matters, I like the idea of dual USB-C ports, but they still will need adapters. I'd prefer at least one regular USB port built in, Otherwise you'll be facing a chicken and egg problem. Do you buy the new laptop with the funky new ports and spring extra for adapters? or do you wait until peripherals have caught up?
March 15th, 2015 at 7:27:27 PM permalink
TheCesspit

I know Google Docs and others will read and edit Word and Word-compatible files. But will your pagination remain unchanged? Will tables remain unchanged? Sometimes I put in hours on a long document (up to 250+ pages), with tons of painstaking tables, which are just legible enough. I'd hate to see them ruined on a different word processor.

No idea, and if you need a full fledged word processor, Chromebook is not for you.

The more expensive Windows fondle slab would probably work. Never looked into it though.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 15th, 2015 at 7:48:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I'd prefer at least one regular USB port built in,

I like my 4 USB-2 ports, 2 USB-3 ports, HDMI, VGA, SDXC card, power plug. RJ-45 ethernet, antenna, and lock port.(that's 13). It was bad enough giving up my 'CD drive, knowing that I have to buy an external drive in a pinch.
March 16th, 2015 at 7:48:26 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
I like my 4 USB-2 ports, 2 USB-3 ports, HDMI, VGA, SDXC card, power plug. RJ-45 ethernet, antenna, and lock port.(that's 13). It was bad enough giving up my 'CD drive, knowing that I have to buy an external drive in a pinch.

My laptop's old enough to still have a CD drive ;)

I'd forgotten about card ports. Those are very useful when transferring pics from a camera.

At home I connect a mouse, keyboard, monitor, LAN and often a thumb drive. That's three USB ports, and dedicated monitor and LAN ports. ON the road just the mouse and thumb drive. Still, that's one more port than the new Apple notebook.
March 16th, 2015 at 8:10:21 AM permalink
Pacomartin
At home I connect a mouse, keyboard, monitor, LAN and often a thumb drive. That's three USB ports, and dedicated monitor and LAN ports. ON the road just the mouse and thumb drive. Still, that's one more port than the new Apple notebook.

I have a ten year old laptop which is too heavy slow and beat up to carry most places. I have a mouse, keyboard, camera, printer,external wifi, USB phone attached to USB ports and a VGA monitor and ethernet connected to their own ports. I have to switch things back and forth for a thumb drive. The ehternet backs up wifi when something goes wrong.

It's an old clumsy cluttered setup, but it works OK for documents and e-mail, downloading photos.
March 16th, 2015 at 1:43:26 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

Yes, Microsoft Office can run completely web based now.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 16th, 2015 at 1:53:57 PM permalink
TheCesspit
The Chromebook Pixel is coming out real soon now.
Page 2 of 5<12345>