1 vote (16.66%)
1 vote (16.66%)

6 members have voted

April 10th, 2015 at 8:20:14 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
$300 US, then you get taxed above that.

Is it a big tax, or will it be less than $10?
April 10th, 2015 at 8:25:58 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Is it a big tax, or will it be less than $10?

I don't really know. I need to check that out first.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 10th, 2015 at 8:51:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Apparently I can get one laptop PC in tax free.
April 29th, 2015 at 10:01:59 AM permalink
Nareed
Several American Airlines flights were delayed recently due to misbehaving ipads. AA switched to using ipads rather than paper for flight plans and other documents pilots carry around to fly the plane. When the ipads crashed, the pilots lacked a flight plan.

What penance does Apple owe for this?
April 29th, 2015 at 1:02:50 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Several American Airlines flights were delayed recently due to misbehaving ipads. AA switched to using ipads rather than paper for flight plans and other documents pilots carry around to fly the plane. When the ipads crashed, the pilots lacked a flight plan.

What penance does Apple owe for this?

None, the quality assurance team who decided that this was a valid process without proper testing and back up plans needs to pay a penance.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 29th, 2015 at 6:32:53 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: TheCesspit
None, the quality assurance team who decided that this was a valid process without proper testing and back up plans needs to pay a penance.

Usually anything to do with navigation is treated very carefully (at least that is what I remember from ships). I am surprised that they would adapt to commercial software/hardware for a mission critical task.
May 23rd, 2015 at 4:16:58 AM permalink
Nareed
During my trip I used the laptop a lot. All I ever connected to it was the mouse, which uses up exactly one port. Therefore I should be ok with one port only, right?

Not exactly. I also had it hooked up to the electrical outlet in the wall. Does that count as a port? Apple's new product uses its sole port for charging, too. At a minimum I'd have had to hook up some multiport device to it so it could use power and take the mouse at the same time.
May 23rd, 2015 at 8:05:34 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Not exactly. I also had it hooked up to the electrical outlet in the wall. Does that count as a port?

Yes, the Apple one port is for charging also. You would have to alternate mouse and charger, use the built in device, or have some blutooth connection which does not use a port.

Previous to this design, Apple had been pushing a "Magsafe" design for a charging port. The assumption was that many expensive computers have been damaged by people walking into the charging cord. With a magnetic connection, the plug simply pulls away without dragging the computer onto the floor.

Magsafe was sacrificed for the new design. After spending years of pushing the safety of the magsafe plug, many people were upset that it was abandoned in the name of this "one port simplification".
May 27th, 2015 at 7:21:12 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Yes, the Apple one port is for charging also. You would have to alternate mouse and charger, use the built in device, or have some blutooth connection which does not use a port.

I use a wireless mouse connected to a USB port.

Bluetooth mice tend to give me trouble for some reason. Yet I'm thinking of getting one to use with the laptop and the tablet. Highlighting and copying text in the tablet by touch alone takes me forever and often I can't get all I need.

Quote:
Magsafe was sacrificed for the new design. After spending years of pushing the safety of the magsafe plug, many people were upset that it was abandoned in the name of this "one port simplification".

I think Apple sometimes sacrifices usability and convenience for looks. But not being a habitual user of Apple's products, I'm not sure about this.

The magsafe type port would be a great idea for cell phones and tablets. Of course, they may lack the mass to work effectively as compared to even a tiny laptop.
May 27th, 2015 at 10:14:16 AM permalink
Pacomartin

The magsafe type port would be a great idea for cell phones and tablets. Of course, they may lack the mass to work effectively as compared to even a tiny laptop.

Apple seems to have the patent on mag-safe for electronic devices, and they don't license it. One handyman posted some do it yourself Mag-safe plug construction,

Wiki says that mag-safe plugs were used for oil fryers where the consequences of tripping on a plug could be severe.

For phones and small laptops wireless charging is an option reducing the possibility of accidental damage. Some people are investing in $600-$800 phones so it makes sense.
Page 4 of 5<12345>