1 vote (16.66%)
1 vote (16.66%)
1 vote (16.66%)

6 members have voted

May 27th, 2015 at 10:26:32 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
For phones and small laptops wireless charging is an option reducing the possibility of accidental damage. Some people are investing in $600-$800 phones so it makes sense.

Much to my surprise, I've yet to pay directly for a phone (though I did buy plans until 2009).

Anyway, yes, protecting the phone is important. IMO, Apple has firmware that draws the phones towards the ground. My iphone has fallen so often, from every conceivable level surface, that I'm amazed, really amazed, the screen hasn't cracked yet.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 8th, 2015 at 7:30:16 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Supposedly Apple is releasing a software update that will permit split screens, but it will only work on the latest models. The word is that Apple is upset because iPad owners don't replace models as fast as they do iPhones.
July 17th, 2015 at 8:29:20 AM permalink
Nareed
In lieu of opening yet another Church of Apple thread, I'll post this here.

1) Why does Apple need to remind me "Cellular data is off for APP" to the point the app stalls until I click on "OK"? I'm very well aware it's off and how to change it. Why don't I at least get a choice not be warned about it every time? Further, why does it tell me this when an active WiFi connection is on?

2) Why can't I configure the length of the snooze for an alarm? Android lets me. related, why does the snooze begin when the alarm goes off, rather than when the snooze command is given? Really, I had to dig up an old Android phone to serve as a bedside alarm clock.
October 12th, 2015 at 1:48:22 PM permalink
Nareed
Now that Microsoft has released actual notebook PCs, will the Apple faithful go on crusade to shut down all Windows Stores in the world? Or at least undertake the modern equivalent and mock them online for not being Apple products?
July 28th, 2016 at 6:21:34 AM permalink
Nareed
Apple's latest hare-brained "trendy" thing, which you know will be imitated by all, is to get rid of the headphone jack in their cell phone (I forget what they call it). After they're done listing all their reasons, keep this in mind: it's necessary in order to keep making phones thinner.

The big problem is the same one as for the one-port notebook: now you cannot connect anything to it and charge the device at the same time.

Unless you go with Bluetooth, naturally. But that's, again as with the notebook, an added expense for many people. I pity the poor sods who paid hundreds for their sophisticated, top-end, and now useless noise-cancelling, top-of-the-line headphones with a standard cylindrical jack. Time to buy a new set, which now you'll also need to recharge.

While I don't intend to ever pay for an Apple phone, I just know the lemmings in the cell phone industry will copy it. They, too, need thinner phones.
July 28th, 2016 at 7:33:35 AM permalink
Pacomartin
NBC did that series a few years ago when all electricity (including batteries) suddenly stops working. Society returns to the mid 19th century. One woman carries around her iPhone because she had no hard copies of the photos of her children. Suddenly for no obvious reason the power comes back on for a few minutes and she is able to see her photos.

I want a Smart House. When the power goes out, I won't be able to open the doors or windows, and I will end up a mummy.
July 28th, 2016 at 7:55:06 AM permalink
Nareed
I want a Smart House. When the power goes out, I won't be able to open the doors or windows, and I will end up a mummy.

We have all-electronic locks at the office. In case the fire alarm goes off (which is not the same as in case of a fire), all the locks are automatically released. In case of a power failure, you have to find the key to disengage the locks.

A few years back, though, we were working on a weekend and the power went out. Then we realized we had no key for those locks :) When the power came back on, we left the locked door open with a wedge.
August 29th, 2016 at 9:09:48 AM permalink
Nareed
It seems Microsoft is committing sacrilege and touting its Surface line over the Mac laptops.
August 29th, 2016 at 9:39:36 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
It seems Microsoft is committing sacrilege and touting its Surface line over the Mac laptops.

Ditto for Hewlett Packard and Spectre Line
August 29th, 2016 at 9:42:35 AM permalink
Nareed
Ditto for Hewlett Packard and Spectre Line

I wonder what Apple Hell is like: all iPhone and iPad with very fast WiFi but without cell service at all? :)
Page 5 of 5« First<2345