Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

April 2nd, 2020 at 8:55:46 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
I’ve started watching Tiger King again. Hasn’t been anything this inherently entertaining on Netflix in a while...

3rd season of Ozark
I just started it
Just finished the Documentary on Caroll Shelby. I enjoyed it more then the movie as it tells the complete Lemans story which is much more interesting
I also cut the cord. Need to cut expenses.
Just signed up for Sling TV and have Netflix
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 2nd, 2020 at 9:52:23 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Tiger King on Netflix

Documentary about some eccentric big cat owners and an animal rights activist who they despise.

Everyone involved seems effing nuts.

One episode in and I’m hooked.

The greatest collection of white trash ever assembled

It was insane!
April 2nd, 2020 at 9:58:49 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades
The greatest collection of white trash ever assembled

Redneck hillbillies stopped being entertaining
in the 80's. Boring dumbasses are a dime a
dozen.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 2nd, 2020 at 12:09:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
I also cut the cord. Need to cut expenses.
Just signed up for Sling TV and have Netflix

There are two live TV streaming services that are cheaper than Sling TV (no sports of course).

$15
$20

Roku Channel is fast becoming the premier FREE web surfing service
Roku Channel is streaming the first season of HBO's Westworld for free temporarily
April 2nd, 2020 at 12:20:43 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: Pacomartin
There are two live TV streaming services that are cheaper than Sling TV (no sports of course).

$15
$20

Roku Channel is fast becoming the premier FREE web surfing service

May look into those
Right now got Sling free for 2 weeks :-)
I only had cable for news and sports
No sports so just getting Sling for CNN and MSNBC. I go to Foxnews occasionally. Some times Fox does good reporting, most of the time unwatchable due promoting Trump or bashing the left.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 2nd, 2020 at 1:34:47 PM permalink
Pacomartin
$5 Locast.org 17 cities 36% of the US market 41,158,680 TV homes
Locast is a not-for-profit service offering users access to broadcast television stations over the internet.
We stream the signal over the Internet to select US cities. We are trying to help broadcasters reach people just like you over the internet.
Locast has modernized the delivery of broadcast TV by offering streaming media free of charge. This is your right, this is our mission! Read more
© 2020 Sports Fans Coalition NY, Inc.

If you are in one of those 17 cities, locast is absolutely the cheapeast way to watch broadcast sports.
April 2nd, 2020 at 1:39:21 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: Pacomartin
$5 Locast.org 17 cities 36% of the US market 41,158,680 TV homes
Locast is a not-for-profit service offering users access to broadcast television stations over the internet.
We stream the signal over the Internet to select US cities. We are trying to help broadcasters reach people just like you over the internet.
Locast has modernized the delivery of broadcast TV by offering streaming media free of charge. This is your right, this is our mission! Read more
© 2020 Sports Fans Coalition NY, Inc.

If you are in one of those 17 cities, locast is absolutely the cheapeast way to watch broadcast sports.

Don't see my city listed but I'm sure this company is growing.
Thanks
Nice to know a lot of choices out there.
April 3rd, 2020 at 12:06:21 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Just as your library buys books to add to their collection for you to borrow, your library offers a variety of digital resources too - Kanopy is one of their more popular digital resources. Kanopy does not charge you because the public library or university covers all associated costs, allowing you to watch for free with no ads.
Needs library card!

Don't see my city listed but I'm sure this company is growing.

Locast is in the middle of a series of lawsuits and counter-suits with the networks at the moment. It probably won't expand to more cities until they are ironed out. AT&T gave them a contribution of $500,000 which weakens their argument that they are a non-profit organization.

CATV originally meant "Community Antenna Television" and when it started in the 1940s was simply a way to get an antenna signal to homes which couldn't get a signal via a rooftop antenna (for $2 a month). When HBO started in the mid 1970s the concept of cable TV was going to be "no commercials', but that ended quickly on December 17, 1976 when Ted Turner began nationwide broadcasts of TBS

6 other superstations followed and are still operating
1978 Chicago, Illinois WGN-TV 9 Nexstar Media Group Independent
1979 Secaucus, New Jersey (New York City) WWOR-TV 9 Fox Television Stations (Fox Corporation) MyNetworkTV
1987 Denver, Colorado KWGN-TV 2 Nexstar Media Group The CW
1988 Boston, Massachusetts WSBK-TV 38 CBS Television Stations (CBS Corporation) MyNetworkTV
1988 Los Angeles, California KTLA 5 Nexstar Media Group The CW
2004 San Juan, Puerto Rico WAPA-TV 4 Hemisphere Media Group (InterMedia Partners [73%]; Azteca Acquisition Corporation [27%])

The FCC tried to protect broadcast stations by requiring that they be put on cable lineups, but eventually the networks grew jealous of the cable channels earning money from cable fees and from commercials. Starting in Sept 1993 the broadcast channels could negotiate some arrangement in order to let their signal be re-transmitted. Disney was first and in order to transmit ABC you had to buy the brand new ESPN2.

Eventually the networks decided they wanted to get cold hard cash in order to re-transmit their signals Now they collect about $10 billion/year from cable companies.

Locast believes they have a work-around because the FCC permits retransmission of broadcast signals to non-profit organizations. Hence they don't require you to pay $5/ month, but they pester you with commercials until you do. Networks are suing because they say that Locast is not really a non-profit and Locast is counter suing for harrassment.
April 4th, 2020 at 6:08:39 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Finished Tiger King
Jeff Lowe set up the King
No doubt Carole had something to do with her husbands dissapearance. Due to the Documentary, police are asking for new leads

Was the bike trail where they were talking about killing Carole the same one you ride on?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 4th, 2020 at 10:59:11 PM permalink
terapined
Was the bike trail where they were talking about killing Carole the same one you ride on?

I guess so. They showed her riding a bike on a dirt road. The trail I ride is paved.
I rode by today.
The Big cat rescue sign at the entrance has been taken down. Maybe on purpose? Maybe vandalism?