Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

January 24th, 2021 at 11:17:50 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: gamerfreak
Have been binging based on your recommendation. I’m almost done the first season.

It’s pretty good for a broadcast network crime thriller. Way better than NCIS or Criminal Minds, but not as good as 24.
For me the plot was to repetitive. I think we watched an extra 2 seasons because my wife has a crush on Spader?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 24th, 2021 at 11:19:16 AM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: terapined
Night stalker
Hunt for a serial killer
Documentary series on Netflix
Just finished episode 1
This is great, very well done
Crimes pile up as a young Hispanic detective thinks murders, attempted murders and child abductions/molestations are connected to 1 person. Veteran detectives laugh at him. Later he partners with the legendary veteran detective Frank Salerno. They catch another murder and evidence is pointing to 1 person. Now that Frank is behind the theory, nobody is laughing and the investigation hits high gear. Great episode 1.
Going in for episode 2
We finished the series. That guy definitely deserved the death penalty, post haste.
January 24th, 2021 at 11:22:12 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: petroglyph
For me the plot was to repetitive. I think we watched an extra 2 seasons because my wife has a crush on Spader?

Simpsons not withstanding, this is pretty much the fate of any network TV show.

Being forced to put out 20+ hour long episodes year after year leads to some awful writing.
January 24th, 2021 at 11:22:58 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: gamerfreak
Have been binging based on your recommendation. I’m almost done the first season.

It’s pretty good for a broadcast network crime thriller. Way better than NCIS or Criminal Minds, but not as good as 24.

Thanks for the recommendation of 24. I just watched the first two episodes and don't think it is for me. It seems like an "action" show which I am not a fan of. I prefer more drama and less shooting. My theory is if a show or a movie has machine guns or car chases it is not for me unless it is a war movie.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 24th, 2021 at 11:35:12 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
We finished the series. That guy definitely deserved the death penalty, post haste.

Just finished it also
I had no idea how evil this man was
I knew about the murders of course
But all the child abductions and rapes
Just so sick
Its chilling to hear the adult woman recount the time she was abducted and molested as a child.
The sheer number of crimes and the evilness of the acts is stunning.
Damm Diane Feinstein. She really blew it hurting the investigation.
The way he was caught was so satisfying.
Wanders into a liquor store after getting off a bus coming back into town and freaking when he sees his pic on the front page and people start to recognize him
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 24th, 2021 at 12:01:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich

In my opinion Blacklist gets better in Seasons 2 to 4. I just finished season 7 and thought it was the weakest.

I stopped watching Blacklist around
season 4 because I couldn't stand
the female lead anymore. She
disappeared for much of that
season and the show was so much
better with her gone. Then she
came back and I quit watching.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 24th, 2021 at 12:04:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Thanks for the recommendation of 24. ie.

24 got really old really fast. Too
much gratuitous violence. And
the plots were not believable,
to have that much stuff happen
in 24 hours. Plus it was totally
unrealistic. Jack would be in
one location and 10 min later
he would be across town. Did
he have a transporter?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 24th, 2021 at 2:23:30 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Thanks for the recommendation of 24. I just watched the first two episodes and don't think it is for me. It seems like an "action" show which I am not a fan of. I prefer more drama and less shooting. My theory is if a show or a movie has machine guns or car chases it is not for me unless it is a war movie.

What is it you liked about The Blacklist? It’s had car changes and machine guns. And explosions.

24 and Blacklist seem very similar to me, with 24 being more serial.

Have you seen Burn Notice? Also on Amazon Prime. I think it might be a little closer to Blacklist than 24.
January 24th, 2021 at 3:01:36 PM permalink
petroglyph
We watched Travels by Narrowboat on Prime and enjoyed it, kind of a travelling minstrel cooking show, self filmed by our host Kevin Shelley, aka Country house Gent.
January 24th, 2021 at 4:20:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin
I am supporting your view of the miniseries. Outlander certainly has "bodice ripper" elements.

It's so odd looking behind the
scenes at period pieces. They
try so hard to create an era,
but are surrounded at all
times by the 21st century.