Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

February 13th, 2021 at 11:41:52 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I've been kind of disappointed in the latest science fiction movies and series
Not anymore
Netflix
Space Sweepers
Korean science fiction movie
This movie rocks so far
Excellent special effects
Excellent story
Great acting
I'm hooked
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 14th, 2021 at 7:55:56 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined

Space Sweepers
Korean science fiction movie

I prefer Fate, the Winx Saga.
February 14th, 2021 at 8:23:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Paramount Streaming coming in March,
will include CBS All Access as part of
the package. $4.99 a month. I get CBS
and use it all the time, I will automatically
get Paramount.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 16th, 2021 at 1:04:05 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: terapined
Netflix American Murder The Family Next Door
Really good
Tough to watch all the old videos of the kids
Pretty fascinating
2 best parts
After the police and Watts review the neighbors security cam. After Watts leaves. The neighbor is clearly very suspicious of Watts and tells the police
Right after the lie detector test. The police tell him he is lying and they want to know the truth

I just watched this yesterday on my plane ride home from Vegas.

What a frickin idiot that guy was. Did he really think he was going to get away with it? This was like the most cliche wife killing of all time.

I love how the neighbor guy with the security video knew it was him right away from his strange demeanor.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 16th, 2021 at 8:03:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Watching Barry on Nflix. Really good
so far, witty and clever. A comedy
about a hitman.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 16th, 2021 at 8:24:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
Watching Barry on Nflix. Really good
so far, witty and clever. A comedy
about a hitman.
It went bad for us after 4-5 episodes.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 18th, 2021 at 5:23:33 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Just got Hulu to watch Nomadland again.
I did give it 7 out of 10 even though I liked it alot.
When it was over, my 1st thought was too brief
It's a great movie but it just scratches the surface of the characters.
Seems like in this era of entertainment, a long series is the best creative medium.
Too bad Nomadland could not have been a series where we truly learn about Swankie, Linda May, Bob Wells, Derek Endres. Real nomads playing a slightly fictional versions of themselves in the movie with compelling stories that we just catch a glimpse of in the movie.
Who knows
Maybe we will get a series
Many movies these days come back as a series because people want more
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 18th, 2021 at 9:40:20 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: DRich
I heard about a show called the Sopranos that people say I will like, but I hear it is long so I may not commit to it.

You seem fairly oblivious to pop culture. The Sopranos was a massive phenomena, and even if you never saw it, you would most certainly heard something about it. The Sopranos is widely regarded as one of the greatest television series of all time. The Sopranos has been characterized by critics as one of the most influential artistic works of the 2000s and has been cited as helping to turn serial television into a legitimate art form on the same level as feature films, literature, and theater.

There are 86 episodes of roughly 50 minutes apiece.
February 19th, 2021 at 7:32:14 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Pacomartin
You seem fairly oblivious to pop culture. The Sopranos was a massive phenomena, and even if you never saw it, you would most certainly heard something about it. The Sopranos is widely regarded as one of the greatest television series of all time. The Sopranos has been characterized by critics as one of the most influential artistic works of the 2000s and has been cited as helping to turn serial television into a legitimate art form on the same level as feature films, literature, and theater.

There are 86 episodes of roughly 50 minutes apiece.

Yes, I am very out of touch with pop culture. I watch very little tv other than sports, I watch maybe two movies a year and they are generally ones that I have already seen before. Yes, I had heard about Sopranos about 10 years ago but didn't know much about it. I have since had a few people tell me tat it is a shhow that I would enjoy. If it is only 86 episodes then that is much less than I would have assumed for a show that ran over 10 years. It is definitely on my "maybe" list. The way I watch shows is that I binge them. I could easily see myself watching 86 episodes in a week if I choose to watch it.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 19th, 2021 at 10:13:07 AM permalink
Pacomartin
The show ran for 8.5 years, and HBO makes a lot fewer episodes per season than broadcast. Hence only 86 episodes.
The film sequel to The Sopranos is supposed to hit the box office on September 24, 2021. The film has already been made and the plan was to release it 5 months ago, but they are just hoping COVID will go away by September.

The show streams exclusively on HBO MAX and your only other option is to buy it which is over$100. You are better off getting HBO MAX for $15 a month and trying to watch it in one month (3 episodes per day). Older people tend to enjoy HBO MAX more than NETFLIX.

Halfway through the first season, Robert De Niro released what looks like a Sopranos parody in that it is about a Mafia Don who needs therapy because he starts getting panic attacks. It's a straight comedy available to rent for $3.

Analyze This was the 5th most popular comedy released in 1999 (estimated tickets)
  1. Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me Jun 10, 1999 New Line Comedy 40,559,071
  2. Big Daddy Jun 25, 1999 Sony Pictures Comedy 32,181,062
  3. Runaway Bride Jul 30, 1999 Paramount Pictures Romantic Comedy 29,953,217
  4. Notting Hill May 28, 1999 Universal Romantic Comedy 22,852,298
  5. Analyze This Mar 5, 1999 Warner Bros. Comedy 21,040,483

The first episode of the 2nd season of "The Sopranos" mentions the movie "Analyze This".