Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

March 27th, 2021 at 3:50:26 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Watched “Becky” on Showtime’s app on my Roku TV.

A good description I’ve seen for it is “John Wick meets Home Alone.”

Kevin James plays against type as a Nazi who has escaped from prison.

This movie is brutal! It takes a lot to make me cringe, but some of the violence had me squirming in my chair.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 27th, 2021 at 3:59:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: ams288
Okay Boomer.

It's tricky, you can only make fun of Cosby and his
victims can't be mentioned at all. It's a fine line,
comedians love that kind of stuff.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 9th, 2021 at 1:11:35 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
We are watching Leah Remini " Scientology and the Aftermath" on Netflix. Wow. I saw a book about L Ron Hubbard laying around somewhere in the 70's so I picked it up and read a tiny bit, decided it wasn't for me and left it where I found it. Years go by and we hear it's like any other cult. Turns out it's like a super cult.

I didn't know how bad Scientology really is. I hope everyone watches this series, it is fascinating and stomach turning at the same time. I have to give Kudo's to Terapined for giving them flak.

Just have to watch it and see how bad they are.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 9th, 2021 at 4:19:38 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: petroglyph
We are watching Leah Remini " Scientology and the Aftermath" on Netflix. Wow. I saw a book about L Ron Hubbard laying around somewhere in the 70's so I picked it up and read a tiny bit, decided it wasn't for me and left it where I found it. Years go by and we hear it's like any other cult. Turns out it's like a super cult.

I didn't know how bad Scientology really is. I hope everyone watches this series, it is fascinating and stomach turning at the same time. I have to give Kudo's to Terapined for giving them flak.

Just have to watch it and see how bad they are.

I watched it a few years ago when it originally aired on A&E.

Definitely should be required viewing.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 9th, 2021 at 6:55:35 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Enjoyed the Ken Burns, Lynn Novick documentary on Hemingway that just concluded on PBS. I have always loved his writing, but I didn't know much about him other than the image that has been perpetuated of a restless guy with a lust for booze and a lust for life. Interesting to hear the whole story.
Should have posted before it aired, but you might watch for reruns. I guess it will eventually stream somewhere.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
April 9th, 2021 at 12:16:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: JimRockford
Enjoyed the Ken Burns, Lynn Novick documentary on Hemingway that just concluded on PBS. I have always loved his writing, but I didn't know much about him other than the image that has been perpetuated of a restless guy with a lust for booze and a lust for life. Interesting to hear the whole story.
Should have posted before it aired, but you might watch for reruns. I guess it will eventually stream somewhere.

It is streaming online right now. Isn't that Peter Coyote narrating. I am a Hemingway expert, I am a Hemingway scholar of sorts. I have over 50 books written about Hemingway. I have a collection of Hemingway memorabilia that is actually archived at a university. I will watch this with great interest to see if there's one thing on here that I didn't know, or what they get wrong. I'm immensely looking forward to this.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 9th, 2021 at 2:57:22 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
It is streaming online right now. Isn't that Peter Coyote narrating. I am a Hemingway expert, I am a Hemingway scholar of sorts. I have over 50 books written about Hemingway. I have a collection of Hemingway memorabilia that is actually archived at a university. I will watch this with great interest to see if there's one thing on here that I didn't know, or what they get wrong. I'm immensely looking forward to this.

Peter Coyote narrates. Actor Jeff Daniels provides the voice of EH, reading letters and excerpts.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
April 9th, 2021 at 4:38:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: JimRockford
Peter Coyote narrates. .

Peter Coyote will be 80 this year and he didn't get into show business until he was 40 years old. In that time he's done over a hundred and fifty movies and TV shows and narrated over 200 documentaries. He's working on six documentaries right now and three movie and TV projects. He must work 6 days a week. He narrated most of Ken Burns major projects. He might be the most sought-after narrator. He has a slow and precise way of speaking that makes understanding him very easy.
April 9th, 2021 at 6:58:25 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
Peter Coyote will be 80 this year and he didn't get into show business until he was 40 years old. In that time he's done over a hundred and fifty movies and TV shows and narrated over 200 documentaries. He's working on six documentaries right now and three movie and TV projects. He must work 6 days a week. He narrated most of Ken Burns major projects. He might be the most sought-after narrator. He has a slow and precise way of speaking that makes understanding him very easy.
He narrated a documentary on the Baja 1000. I have tried and tried to find it again. No luck.

Great voice.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 10th, 2021 at 12:37:13 AM permalink
Evenbob
I cannot thank JimRockford enough for posting about the Hemingway documentary. And it just finished a couple days ago and it's available online until April 26th. There are a bunch of 1 hour interviews connected with the show that I will be watching also. To a Hemingway affectionado, this is a treasure trove of Hemingway material. I will be watching in 30 minute segments so it will take me twelve days to watch it all. Ken Burns says it took him six years to make this. I totally believe it, the amount of visual material they have assembled is beyond amazing. Stuff I didn't even know existed. Some people read Hemingway for the first time today and say, he's good, but I don't get what the big deal is. They don't realize that absolutely nobody was writing like this 100 years ago. He invented this writing style and it has been copied by absolutely everybody who wrote after him. And he did it out of the gate, he was never a struggling writer, he published his first book of short stories in his very early twenties and never looked back. He was a literary genius. And like most geniuses he had no qualms about telling you so.

https://www.pbs.org/video/hemingway-episode-1-writer/