Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

April 10th, 2021 at 9:34:10 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Evenbob
Glib sarcasm is a huge part of the show, from all the
characters, especially the mother. In real life sarcastic
people are not well tolerated, you can only take so
much from them. To have an entire cast of a show
be sarcastic drains my energy. I gave it one last
chance and skipped ahead to the middle of season
2, it really had not changed that much. They toned
down the Mother character a little, but she was still
sickeningly obnoxious. I can understand why Gay people
might like this, they love sarcasm and use it all the time.
Sarcasm is a way of saying I'm superior to you and
I'm making fun of you but you're so dumb you probably
don't even know it. Met lots of Gay people or like this.

People seem to mostly tolerate me. I still stand by my comment that it is a less well-written Frasier. Frasier was another show that cashed its checks with sarcasm---and other forms of mostly dry humor. I guess Marty kind of broke that up a bit from time to time, so it wasn't quite as one note.

You could skip to the middle of the last season; it'll still not have changed that much.

I think the last bit might be blurring the lines between sarcasm and condescension. You caqn be condescendingly sarcastic, but sarcasm is often employed in a way that the person being spoken to is supposed to recognize as sarcastic.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
April 10th, 2021 at 9:37:45 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Look, I'm answering a post by AMS. I actually loathe the main character on this show so much I'm fantasizing about her meeting Bill Cosby in 2001 and her being one of his victims. It makes me happy to think that. And you know I'm right about Gay people and sarcasm. It even translates onto the screen. Name one Gay character on any TV show in the last 30 years there wasn't one sarcastic remark after another. The food guy on Frasier. The two Gay men on Modern Family were super sarcastic, especially the redheaded one. The Gay character on Will & Grace. Both the gay characters on Sex in the City. Nothing but sarcasm. That's why gay men like Gilmore Girls, the constant sarcasm. The Gay man in Victor Victoria. I'm sure I'm missing a ton of them, but you get the point.

Not every character on The L Word was sarcastic. Also, a few of the gay/bisexual characters on Orange is the New Black weren't sarcastic. Poussey, for one example, wasn't sarcastic at all. I could name others.

I think network TV is mostly just going to write what they think their audience wants a gay character to be. I tend to think that's even more true in shows where there is only one gay character, or where there are two, but they aren't main players.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
April 10th, 2021 at 9:39:36 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Gandler
Look, I'm answering a post by AMS. I actually loathe the main character on this show so much I'm fantasizing about her meeting Bill Cosby in 2001 and her being one of his victims. It makes me happy to think that. And you know I'm right about Gay people and sarcasm. It even translates onto the screen. Name one Gay character on any TV show in the last 30 years there wasn't one sarcastic remark after another. The food guy on Frasier. The two Gay men on Modern Family were super sarcastic, especially the redheaded one. The Gay character on Will & Grace. Both the gay characters on Sex in the City. Nothing but sarcasm. That's why gay men like Gilmore Girls, the constant sarcasm. The Gay man in Victor Victoria. I'm sure I'm missing a ton of them, but you get the point.

(I know nothing about this show, the character, or the actors).

But, if I am interpreting this correctly, this is one of the most twisted things I have read.

You do not like a fictional character in a fictional show so you fantasize about the actor being drugged and raped in real life?
(Am I the only one who sees a problem with this?)

Or was this one of his victims which is why the reference to 2001 (again I don't know anything about her), in which case it would make the comment somehow even worse.....

I assume he means the character played by Lauren Graham, if that character were a real person. I seriously doubt he means Lauren Graham herself. Still a pretty objectionable comment.
April 10th, 2021 at 9:42:39 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: petroglyph
We are watching Leah Remini " Scientology and the Aftermath" on Netflix. Wow. I saw a book about L Ron Hubbard laying around somewhere in the 70's so I picked it up and read a tiny bit, decided it wasn't for me and left it where I found it. Years go by and we hear it's like any other cult. Turns out it's like a super cult.

I didn't know how bad Scientology really is. I hope everyone watches this series, it is fascinating and stomach turning at the same time. I have to give Kudo's to Terapined for giving them flak.

Just have to watch it and see how bad they are.

Is it worse than the Baptist Church? That's a pretty high bar.
April 10th, 2021 at 10:05:37 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Mission146

Much much much worse
Its not even close
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 10th, 2021 at 12:04:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

No comparison. The Baptist Church does not try run your private life like Scientology does. And you can walk away from the Baptist Church anytime you like which is not true for Scientology.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 10th, 2021 at 12:29:05 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
There is just to much to unpack explaining how awful and dangerous of a predatory cult this 'organization' is.

I can give a couple of examples where they are even worse than a Baptist org. For one, the Scientologists sued the IRS for years to gain tax exempt status. It wasn't until they followed L Ron Hubbards edict of going after the agents personally did they win after ten years in court. They actually sued the IRS agents personally for millions of dollars, which caused the management of IRS to back down and allow them free rein.

Another special policy they have is hiding members from their family's physically for years in 'the hole', they real all the members mail before they pass it to the members, even from their family's. They don't allow members to have phones, or free access to a phone, even if outside friends have mailed a phone to the member.

Like I said, you just need to watch the series to get the true disbelief in how bad this cult is, and to be able to question why our "authority's" allow them to continue in the open.

IDK, maybe you might want to join them after watching? Some folks do fit right in. It is pretty incredible though, listening to testimony from ex members with decades of belonging inside finally discovering they've been duped so heavily.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 10th, 2021 at 2:44:26 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

I can give a couple of examples where they are even worse than a Baptist org. For one, the Scientologists sued the IRS for years to gain tax exempt status. It wasn't until they followed L Ron Hubbards edict of going after the agents personally did they win after ten years in court. They actually sued the IRS agents personally for millions of dollars, which caused the management of IRS to back down and allow them free rein.

It was a lot more then that
The harassment was insidious
You have a pet and it goes outdoors. Forget about it. Its dead
Better have a lock on your gas cap.
These people are disgusting.
The policy is known as "Fair Game"
At a meeting, IRS asked if the harassment would stop if they agreed.
Scientology "Like a faucet"
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 10th, 2021 at 2:51:54 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
No comparison. The Baptist Church does not try run your private life like Scientology does. And you can walk away from the Baptist Church anytime you like which is not true for Scientology.

It doesn't? When did they stop doing that?
April 10th, 2021 at 2:55:55 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
There is just to much to unpack explaining how awful and dangerous of a predatory cult this 'organization' is.

Another special policy they have is hiding members from their family's physically for years in 'the hole', they real all the members mail before they pass it to the members, even from their family's. They don't allow members to have phones, or free access to a phone, even if outside friends have mailed a phone to the member.

Like I said, you just need to watch the series to get the true disbelief in how bad this cult is, and to be able to question why our "authority's" allow them to continue in the open.

IDK, maybe you might want to join them after watching? Some folks do fit right in. It is pretty incredible though, listening to testimony from ex members with decades of belonging inside finally discovering they've been duped so heavily.

I'm on their side on the tax thing...at least from what you have said. Not going after people individually, but everything else. The Baptist Church (and other religious churches and groups) enjoy tax exempt status. What possible reason would there be not to give them that?

The second paragraph sounds pretty bad, but no real difference between that and growing up in a religious household---from what I can tell---except the Scientologists sound like mostly adults who got themselves involved.

I might check out the series, but if they're going to shut down Scientology, then they need to shut down every other religion for much the same reason---though perhaps to different degrees.

I doubt if I would want to join them. I'm not really a group guy.