Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

May 11th, 2021 at 8:28:59 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Never even heard of it
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 11th, 2021 at 9:04:19 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined

Never even heard of it

It's interesting and I think the show's snappy humor and one-liners would be up your alley. Maybe start with Season 2? Highly-rated show, but it took a few episodes for it to really find its legs.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 11th, 2021 at 9:44:43 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: terapined
Is there anything out there worth streaming
My opinion the last must see series was Queens Gambit
Before that Game of Thrones

I'm actually not subscribed to any service because I have not heard any real buzz about any current series being must see
Actually bought MLB streaming instead to watch Ohtani hit and pitch

The FX series Snowfall, streaming on Hulu is pretty good. It's kind of a crime family drama about the rise of the crack cocaine epidemic of the 80's. The acting and the story are good. Like all of these series, it drags a bit at times. Now that I have finished season four, I wonder if it really has anywhere else to go. Season 5 is not streaming yet, so we'll see.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
May 15th, 2021 at 1:54:11 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JimRockford
The FX series Snowfall, streaming on Hulu is pretty good. It's kind of a crime family drama about the rise of the crack cocaine epidemic of the 80's. The acting and the story are good. Like all of these series, it drags a bit at times. Now that I have finished season four, I wonder if it really has anywhere else to go. Season 5 is not streaming yet, so we'll see.

Getting back into books
I'll probably come back to Netfix when they finish and release "The Three Body Problem" science fiction series based on a book out of China.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 19th, 2021 at 10:30:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I'm so embarrassed. I actually yelled out woohoo and did a fist pump in the air when I read that Blue Bloods has been renewed for season 12. The show is so consistent in its excellence over 11 seasons it's hard to believe. Never seen this with any other show in the over 60 years I've been watching TV. There is never a flaw, they never have a character act out of character. There has never been a bad episode. They have got to have the best writers in television.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 19th, 2021 at 10:45:17 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
Blue Bloods has been renewed for season 12.

Who would have thought that it would beat Magnum P.I.
May 20th, 2021 at 9:42:49 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
Who would have thought that it would beat Magnum P.I.

It's a Tom Selleck show, but Donnie Wahlberg carries a lot of the weight. He's really good as Danny Reagan. I have to admit my ignorance, it was just last year that I learned that Donnie Wahlberg is mostly known for being in a boy band in the 80s. He's one of the founders of New Kids on the Block which was hugely successful in the eighties and nineties and he still sings with the band when they get together and tour. His family had a reality TV show canceled called Wahlburgers Donnie is nothing like his character on Blue Bloods in real life. He's funny and smart and outgoing and is full of personality. Nothing like his character on the show.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 20th, 2021 at 10:37:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Quote: Mission146
Evenbob,

If you're still looking for a great sitcom with female stars, The Golden Girls, is on HULU right now. I've been watching something like one episode a night (average) for the last week..

I despised that show when it was on in primetime, but my Dad loved it. He also liked Love Boat, Matlock, and that Agatha Christie show. I hated it all those too.

I couldn't stand it either.I think it appealed to women and gay guys. My former boss was gay and it somehow came up in conversation. I mentioned I never liked it but he gushed about it.

"Murder, She Wrote" I never saw but one weird story about it. I was at a customer's house doing the termite service (another gay guy) and he had it on when I arrived. This was in Buffalo, (Clinton Ave for Soopoo) and the episode was set in Buffalo. So I am not living in Buffalo but well know the area. I am working on the place and I hear them talking about streets that are blocks away from where I am at the time. I had to shake off the weird feeling, it was as if some show was following me. Hard to describe the feeling that day.

Same deal, I think MSW appealed to women and gay males.
The President is a fink.
May 20th, 2021 at 11:42:51 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman

I couldn't stand it either.I think it appealed to women and gay guys. My former boss was gay and it somehow came up in conversation. I mentioned I never liked it but he gushed about it.

"Murder, She Wrote" I never saw but one weird story about it. I was at a customer's house doing the termite service (another gay guy) and he had it on when I arrived. This was in Buffalo, (Clinton Ave for Soopoo) and the episode was set in Buffalo. So I am not living in Buffalo but well know the area. I am working on the place and I hear them talking about streets that are blocks away from where I am at the time. I had to shake off the weird feeling, it was as if some show was following me. Hard to describe the feeling that day.

That makes sense; it did star four women, after all.

More than that, while they didn't smack you in the face with the social politics, to the extent that politics were discussed; the show definitely showed a preference for social policies that would have been considered very liberal at the time.

Other than the fact that the lead was a woman, I can't even speculate as to why MSW would appeal to gay men over straight ones. I don't think that MSW was overtly political at all, but then again, I was a little kid when I watched that show. Anything political would have went right over my head.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 20th, 2021 at 3:18:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman

Angela had the god fortune to appear in "Gaslight" in a memorable supporting role at the age of 18.

Her stage musical debut at the age of 38 was in "Anyone Can Whistle", but she was established as a "gay icon" at the age of 40 when the musical Mame opened up on Broadway. The musical was preceeded by the novel 20 year earlier, the stage comedy 10 years earlier, and the film with Rosaline Russel 2 years after that.

Angela was almost age 59 when the first episode was on TV and age 77 when the last MSW movie was shown. Although she had a large gay following from her earlier musical stage career, I would think of the target audience as "old" before I would think of "gay".