Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

May 24th, 2021 at 12:34:26 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The Highwaymen on Netflix is so good I'm watching it in 30 minute segments so it lasts longer. The acting, the writing, the way they captured the 1930s in the search for Bonnie and Clyde is over the top great.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 27th, 2021 at 10:58:06 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
My preconception of any new sitcom is that it sucks and I am seldom wrong. That's what makes the exceptions so refreshing. Loudermilk streaming on Prime is a winner. Ron Livingston (from Office Space) plays a recovering alcoholic who runs a support group. The writing, the character development, the story are all great. Jokes are funny too. As I said it's a winner. I hope they do a fourth season.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
June 3rd, 2021 at 7:24:09 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Mare of Easttown (HBO Max)

Wow. Wow. Wow. Couldn’t recommend this one any higher. One of the best shows in a long long time. Kate Winslet is phenomenal (actually, all the actors are). She somehow nails the local accent. All the characters feel real, with incredibly messy lives.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 3rd, 2021 at 8:36:51 AM permalink
Evenbob
Hope it's better than the trailer which is Debbie Downer depressing. Good grief.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 4th, 2021 at 4:30:01 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: ams288
Mare of Easttown (HBO Max)

Wow. Wow. Wow. Couldn’t recommend this one any higher. One of the best shows in a long long time. Kate Winslet is phenomenal (actually, all the actors are). She somehow nails the local accent. All the characters feel real, with incredibly messy lives.

Just finished this last week, I’d give it a 7/10.

The show was filmed in my hometown. The school scenes are in the middle school I went to. Exterior police station is right down the street.

They nailed a lot of local references, including the brand of chips from the local manufacturer that we were eating while watching.

They really laid on the PA accent way too thick, it was almost offensive.
June 4th, 2021 at 8:21:13 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: gamerfreak
Just finished this last week, I’d give it a 7/10.

They really laid on the PA accent way too thick, it was almost offensive.

I only watched the trailer. Is that what that was, a Pennsylvania accent? I thought they had a mouth full of marbles.
June 4th, 2021 at 8:57:03 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: Evenbob
I only watched the trailer. Is that what that was, a Pennsylvania accent? I thought they had a mouth full of marbles.

Yea, I guess some people around here have a distinctive accent.

Search Mare of Easttown accent. Tons of interviews with Kate Winslet saying how hard it was for her to learn to talk like that.

I don’t really pronounce words the way the do on the show, but I have friends/family that do. I think they turned it up way to far in the series.
June 4th, 2021 at 12:37:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: gamerfreak
Yea, I guess some people around here have a distinctive accent.

I dated a woman for a while in the late 70s who was from West Texas and had an extremely distinctive Texas drawl that drove me insane. I had to break up with her after a few months because I probably would have had to kill her eventually. She drove me that crazy. Instead of sleeve she said slave, instead of leave she said lave.
June 4th, 2021 at 4:37:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob

Always remember that 52 counties in Pennsylvania are officially in the Appalachian region. The 15 counties in the Southeast including Philadelphia contain over half the state population.

Toni Collette (Australian) in the Sixth Sense is often honored as the most accurate Philadelphia accent ever portrayed on film. But I don't remember her as having a lot of lines. Rocky Balboa is considered one of the most innacurate.
Quote: Toni Collette's opening scene
(1) It's getting cold.
(2) (smiling) I've never told you... but you sound a little like Dr. Seuss when you're drunk.
(3) (Anna giggles) Mahogany. I'd say that cost at least a couple hundred. Maybe three.
(4) Do you know how important this is? This is big time. (beat) I'm going to read it for you, doctor.
(5) In recognition for his outstanding achievement in the field of child psychology, his dedication to his work, and his continuing efforts to improve the quality of life for countless children and their families, the City of Philadelphia proudly bestows upon its son Dr. Malcolm Crowe... That's you... the Mayor's Citation for Professional Excellence. -- Wow. They called you their son.
(6) This is an important night for us. Finally someone is recognizing the sacrifices you made. That you have put everything second, including me, for those families they're talking about. They're also saying that my husband has a gift. Not an ordinary gift that allows him to hit a ball over a fence. Or a gift that lets him produce beautiful images on a canvas...Your gift teaches children how to be strong in situations where most adults would piss on themselves.-- Yes, I believe what they wrote about you.
(7) Nothing. There wasn't supposed to be any crying at this celebration. Just a lot of drinking and sex.
(8) He's still in the house.
(9) --My God.
Delaware County (DelCo) is in Philadelphia metro area to the west and was roughly 30,000 people in the Civil War, broke 100,000 in the 20th century, and peaked in population half century ago in 1970. It is 66% white-non hispanic, 22% black, and with a tiny sampling of Latinos at 4%, and Asians at 6%. Tina Fey and Cheri Oteri from SNL are from DelCo.
July 2nd, 2021 at 9:27:44 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
The final season of Bosch is streaming on Prime.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.