Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

September 24th, 2021 at 4:36:20 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: gamerfreak
Squid Game is a Korean mystery thriller series on Netflix that currently has a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

I like Korean movies but I kinda hated this show. It was way too drawn out with no real payoff at the end.

In 1914 Kafka began the novel Der Process (The Trial), the story of a man arrested and prosecuted by a remote, inaccessible authority, with the nature of his crime revealed neither to him nor to the reader.
I remember reading that novel, but I don't remember if I finished it or not. It doesn't really matter since there is no resolution.

It seems to be the archetype for a lot of Netflix series today.
September 24th, 2021 at 4:45:40 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
Netflix announces Tiger King: Season 2 will premiere this year.

Gird your loins.

WTF
A prison update and behind the scenes at Dancing with the Stars
They may be jumping the shark
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 24th, 2021 at 4:50:38 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Gird your loins.

Funny saying.

10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
11 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.
12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.
13 She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.
14 She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar.
15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.
16 She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
17 She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.
18 She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.
19 She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.
20 She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.
21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.
22 She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple.
23 Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.
24 She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.
25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.
26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.
30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.
31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.
September 24th, 2021 at 4:56:24 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Netflix announces Tiger King: Season 2 will premiere this year.

Gird your loins.

I am actually kind of curious how some of the legal stuff played out (as that occurred after filming mostly). It may be interesting (in some ways maybe more interesting than the first season). Though I suspect it will be more "boring" as the stuff people found exciting does not exist anymore (rightly in my view), and as there is no lockdown it will not benefit from a captive audience so to speak, so I doubt it will be as much of a sensation as the first.
September 24th, 2021 at 5:33:56 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: Pacomartin
In 1914 Kafka began the novel Der Process (The Trial), the story of a man arrested and prosecuted by a remote, inaccessible authority, with the nature of his crime revealed neither to him nor to the reader.
I remember reading that novel, but I don't remember if I finished it or not. It doesn't really matter since there is no resolution.

It seems to be the archetype for a lot of Netflix series today.

I’m not sure I would place it into that category.

This isn’t really a spoiler but I’ll still tag it.

In squid game, the proprietors seek out individuals in crippling financial debt, and get them to play the games voluntarily in hopes of winning millions of dollars.
September 25th, 2021 at 11:23:06 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

I’m four episodes in and loving this so far.

I love stories about small towns with a bunch of interesting characters where weird sh** is going down. Almost feels like a Stephen King adaptation (definite Salem’s Lot vibes).
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 25th, 2021 at 11:52:36 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
I do not think I will make it to 70, my body is already saying that.
What does it sound like?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 27th, 2021 at 1:18:33 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Bob Denver, Gilligan, in a rare appearance 1962 on The Andy Griffith Show. I find this offensive because these are all professional Hollywood actors doing a show filmed entirely in Hollywood making fun of Appalachian America. Screw that..

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 27th, 2021 at 10:00:25 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
Bob Denver, Gilligan, in a rare appearance 1962 on The Andy Griffith Show. I find this offensive because these are all professional Hollywood actors doing a show filmed entirely in Hollywood making fun of Appalachian America. Screw that..

It looks more like a documentary on Appalachian America to me.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 27th, 2021 at 9:47:03 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
Bob Denver, Gilligan, in a rare appearance 1962 on The Andy Griffith Show. I find this offensive because these are all professional Hollywood actors doing a show filmed entirely in Hollywood making fun of Appalachian America. Screw that.

The Museum of Broadcast Communications calls these characters “naïve but noble ‘rubes’ from deep in the American heartland.”

Today our states ranked from most rural to most urban
Maine
Vermont
West Virginia- Appalacha
Mississippi
Montana
Arkansas - Ozarka
South Dakota
Kentucky
Alabama
North Dakota
New Hampshire