Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

October 8th, 2021 at 12:42:38 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: petroglyph
How about Dave Chapelle's "Closer" on Netflix special, riling up trans groups?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/dave-chappelle-backlash-netflix-special-the-closer-trans-lgbtq-195716238.html

Streisand effect.

So silly to make a big fuss over something that offends you - they are just bringing it more attention, coverage, and viewers.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 8th, 2021 at 2:20:20 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
Streisand effect.

So silly to make a big fuss over something that offends you - they are just bringing it more attention, coverage, and viewers.

I've heard of Chapelle
But honestly never watched any of his work
Let the marketplace decide
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 8th, 2021 at 2:42:33 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: terapined
I've heard of Chapelle
But honestly never watched any of his work
Let the marketplace decide

Chapelle’s Show was funny back in the day. Then he kind of went crazy and canceled it right at the peak of its popularity and I really haven’t seen much of him since.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 8th, 2021 at 4:29:22 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
NSFW Chapelle on Jessie.

I haven't been able to make myself watch the newest Netflix special, but think I should before it is cancel cultured away.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 8th, 2021 at 7:46:56 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: terapined
Watching this now
This series doesn't mess around
I was blown away by the amount of violence
Its kind of a Saw movie but on steroids
I'm a few episodes in
Taking it slowly as this is the most violent show I have ever seen

I heard this may turn out to be the most popular Netflix series ever

As far as violence goes, there’s definitely a lot more disturbing mainstream TV out there. Sons of Anarchy comes to mind.

I really don’t get why this show has exploded. I really wasn’t a fan and I love this kind of story. That said I will still watch the inevitable season 2.
October 8th, 2021 at 7:48:45 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: ams288
Chapelle’s Show was funny back in the day. Then he kind of went crazy and canceled it right at the peak of its popularity and I really haven’t seen much of him since.

Netflix paid him $60 million for 3 stand up specials.

I think The Closer was best of the three.
October 8th, 2021 at 8:55:45 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: gamerfreak
Netflix paid him $60 million for 3 stand up specials.

I think The Closer was best of the three.
I found his explanation of why he quit at the peak really interesting.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 9th, 2021 at 5:06:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
NSFW Chapelle on Jessie.

I haven't been able to make myself watch the newest Netflix special, but think I should before it is cancel cultured away.

That was hilarious. This is the kind of stuff they were doing 10 and 15 years ago until everybody got woke. Good for Chapelle, we got to cancel woke somehow.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 9th, 2021 at 9:03:29 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Everyone in the audience immediately knew Jussie Smollett by name. This incident happened almost three years ago, and I never heard of it,

Quote: Jussie Smollett Charged With Felony for Filing False Police Report (February 20 2019)

https://tvline.com/2019/02/20/jussie-smollett-indicted-felony-false-police-report-empire/
It’s official: Empire star Jussie Smollett now faces a felony charge from a Chicago grand jury for filing a false police report in connection with his alleged attack last month.

Earlier Wednesday, Chicago police announced that the actor was now officially classified a suspect in a criminal investigation for filing a false police report, which is a Class 4 felony. A Cook County grand jury has since charged him, and Smollett now faces a maximum of three years in prison if found guilty. Chicago authorities are currently contacting Smollett’s legal team to “negotiate a reasonable surrender for his arrest”; the actor is expected in court on Thursday.

Smollett’s attorneys responded with a statement: “Like any other citizen, Mr. Smollett enjoys the presumption of innocence, particularly when there has been an investigation like this one where information, both true and false, has been repeatedly leaked. Given these circumstances, we intend to conduct a thorough investigation and to mount an aggressive defense.”

Smollett was the alleged victim of an attack in Chicago last month, in which two men supposedly approached the actor/singer and began hurling racist and homophobic slurs at him. According to the original account, the two men beat Smollett, poured a chemical substance (believed to be bleach) on him and tied a noose around his neck before fleeing the scene. Smollett also told police that the assailants “yelled pro-‘Make America Great Again’ [MAGA] comments” during the attack.

Later developments cast doubt on Smollett’s account, including the questioning of two suspects — a pair of Nigerian brothers, one of whom worked as a personal trainer on a music video of Smollett’s — who were later released without being charged. Smollett’s lawyers have insisted that the actor played no role in his attack, and 20th Century Fox, the producers of Empire, have stood behind him, denying reports that his role on the show is being reduced in light of the controversy: “Jussie Smollett continues to be a consummate professional on set, and as we have previously stated, he is not being written out of the show.”.
November 15th, 2021 at 9:04:05 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Just a few days to the premiere
Can't wait
One of my alltime favorite anime is live action now

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"