Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

February 5th, 2022 at 10:30:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Well just what I was afraid of the new Sex and the City series is a wokefest. They turned what was once a trend-setting good series into a pile of dog crap. Cynthia Nixon is a dyke in real life and I'm sure she said she gets to play one on the show now or she's not going to do it. I'm sorry but 55 year old women don't all of a sudden decide they're homosexual. No wonder Kim Cattrall the Samantha character said no thanks. On IMBd the reviews have 135 9 and 10 star reviews and over 500 1 and 2 Star reviews. People hate this show. The only thing good in it are the two gay guys because they're exactly the same. Wokeness kills everything it touches.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 6th, 2022 at 4:56:17 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Well just what I was afraid of the new Sex and the City series is a wokefest. They turned what was once a trend-setting good series into a pile of dog crap. Cynthia Nixon is a dyke in real life and I'm sure she said she gets to play one on the show now or she's not going to do it. I'm sorry but 55 year old women don't all of a sudden decide they're homosexual. No wonder Kim Cattrall the Samantha character said no thanks. On IMBd the reviews have 135 9 and 10 star reviews and over 500 1 and 2 Star reviews. People hate this show. The only thing good in it are the two gay guys because they're exactly the same. Wokeness kills everything it touches.

I am surprised you liked the show at all in the first place. I tried to watch it time to time because it came on before "The Sopranos" but it was just too much of a chick show. Most new shows tend to be woke, a reason I really do not watch any new shows. Get woke, go broke.
The President is a fink.
February 6th, 2022 at 12:59:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
I am surprised you liked the show at all in the first place.

When it came on the air 23 years ago there was nothing out there like it. It was a show about relationships and it had high-quality production values. Plus it was totally shot in New York City and the writing was good, and it was something I can watch with my wife. Now it's about 3 postmenopausal women and the show doesn't really make any sense. Like Cynthia Nixon in the original series loved having sex with men and now she discovers She's a Lesbian it's 55? Ridiculous. One of the main characters on the new series is this a bull Dyke who looks and dresses like a man and she has more self-confidence than Arnold Schwarzenegger. We are supposed to believe this is what happens to you when you embrace your true sexuality. Another Urban myth crock of crap.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 6th, 2022 at 2:32:43 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
A few years ago when Jack Reacher came out with Tom Cruise as Jack, we didn't watch any of the show, movies, series whatever because we've read all the Reacher books written by Lee Child, and just couldn't imagine Jack as some 5'7" guy knocking people off the ground with one punch. So we completely missed it.

Now, the new Jack Reacher is out, Alan Ritchson is a really big guy, well muscled and acts like Reacher very well. We were hooked on the series right away. I predict that the new Jack Reacher has a long way to run, now that casting has discovered that when millions of people have read and identify with a character, he can't just be swapped out for some little guy.

https://www.newsweek.com/reacher-cast-jack-reacher-actor-alan-ritchson-height-amazon-1675792
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 6th, 2022 at 2:39:26 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
A few years ago when Jack Reacher came out with Tom Cruise as Jack, we didn't watch any of the show, movies, series whatever because we've read all the Reacher books written by Lee Child, and just couldn't imagine Jack as some 5'7" guy knocking people off the ground with one punch. So we completely missed it.

Now, the new Jack Reacher is out, Alan Ritchson is a really big guy, well muscled and acts like Reacher very well. We were hooked on the series right away. I predict that the new Jack Reacher has a long way to run, now that casting has discovered that when millions of people have read and identify with a character, he can't just be swapped out for some little guy.

https://www.newsweek.com/reacher-cast-jack-reacher-actor-alan-ritchson-height-amazon-1675792

This I can watch
I can't watch Cruise the midget be Reacher
It's absurd
Currently reading the latest Reacher, Better off Dead.
Kind of scary, shows Reacher buying the farm at the beginning, scary. Hopefully a setup but so far don't look good for the big guy.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 6th, 2022 at 4:39:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
A few years ago when Jack Reacher came out with Tom Cruise as Jack, we didn't watch any of the show,

It was the opposite for me, I never heard of Jack Reacher so when the Tom Cruise movie came out. I loved it I've seen it at least five or six times and I have it on DVD. The second one too. Since then I've read all the books and of course Cruises Reacher is ridiculous but if you suspend your disbelief the movies are very good because Tom Cruise is always very good. You also have to suspend your disbelief when reading the books because they are fairly ridiculous also. Entertaining but ridiculous. Nobody lives in motels for years and years and buys new clothes every 3 days. Jack Reacher is 6 ft 6 and weighs 250 lb. From my experience in real life you do not fight guys like that unless you absolutely have no choice. Just because of their size. But in the world Jack Reacher lives in there is no end to the people who are willingly fighting him. Obviously I enjoyed the books or I would not have read them all, but some of it is pretty silly.
February 7th, 2022 at 1:34:13 AM permalink
petroglyph
Watched ep7 of 1883 tonight, what incredible writing. I'm positive this will win awards. Nothing compares to the authentic realism of life on the plains in that time period. Those that survived are our descendants. But something watered down the strain?

Hard to watch any episode just once.
February 7th, 2022 at 6:22:35 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Watched ep7 of 1883 tonight, what incredible writing. I'm positive this will win awards. Nothing compares to the authentic realism of life on the plains in that time period. Those that survived are our descendants. But something watered down the strain?

Hard to watch any episode just once.

Is 1883 filmed in Montana? My wife was born in Montana and used to play on the ranch where Yellowstone is filmed.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 7th, 2022 at 12:08:43 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: DRich
Is 1883 filmed in Montana? My wife was born in Montana and used to play on the ranch where Yellowstone is filmed.
https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/news-entertainment/a38818744/where-is-1883-filmed/#:~:text=Where%20was%20the%20rest%20of,creator%20Taylor%20Sheridan%20currently%20lives.

""That’s one of the great things about this project. We're on a lot of the land that the Oregon Trail was either on it or very close to it," 1883 star Sam Elliott explained in a recent interview. "You can’t tell a tale like this, about the American West–mythic or not—you can’t tell a tale like this without being on the land."

With the land acting as a main character, 1883's filming locations follow the story all the way from Texas to Montana"
February 7th, 2022 at 2:52:55 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Ozark season 4 part 1
Part 1 is 7 episodes so part 1 is pretty long
Wow
The shocking deaths keep coming
Talk about the shit hitting the fan, it's a monsoon of dung
What a great show
Marty Byrd and his family just get deeper and deeper
Julia Garner is incredible. Episode 7 itself should get her an Emmy.
I can't wait for part 2
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"