Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

February 7th, 2022 at 5:50:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
Watched ep7 of 1883 tonight, what incredible writing.

I subscribed to Prime, Paramount, HBO, and Netflix. Throw in YouTube and why would you need cable if you don't watch sports. This cost me a fraction of what cable cost and there's more entertainment here than I can ever watch. Especially on YouTube which has hundreds and hundreds of movies that you can't find anywhere else. I am currently subscribed to 70 YouTube channels and I probably look at 40 of them on a regular basis. We are seeing the socialization of humanity advance at an unbelievable rate because of the internet. We had great advancement after the railroads were completed and then after cars took over and radio took over and then TV. What I see coming is we will have implants that connect us to the internet on demand 24/7 and it's not very far in the future.

Bill Gates dismissed the internet as not worth investing in back in 1992. He thought it would just be a way for things like the military and colleges to exchange information. He admitted just five years later in 1997 that if you would told him in 1992 he would be seeing the internet address for McDonald's website on one of it's TV commercials he would not have believed it. Mark Twain did exactly the same thing when he turned down a chance to invest in the telephone. He thought it was a toy that would only be used to make doctor's appointments and order groceries from your local market.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 7th, 2022 at 8:55:32 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
Ozark season 4 part 1
Part 1 is 7 episodes so part 1 is pretty long
Wow
The shocking deaths keep coming
Talk about the shit hitting the fan, it's a monsoon of dung
What a great show
Marty Byrd and his family just get deeper and deeper
Julia Garner is incredible. Episode 7 itself should get her an Emmy.
I can't wait for part 2
We've watched seasons 1,2, and 3, three times I think? I need more great series like Bosch. Sure glad they rolled out Reacher.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 8th, 2022 at 5:56:01 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
I subscribed to Prime, Paramount, HBO, and Netflix. Throw in YouTube and why would you need cable if you don't watch sports. This cost me a fraction of what cable cost and there's more entertainment here than I can ever watch. Especially on YouTube which has hundreds and hundreds of movies that you can't find anywhere else. I am currently subscribed to 70 YouTube channels and I probably look at 40 of them on a regular basis. We are seeing the socialization of humanity advance at an unbelievable rate because of the internet. We had great advancement after the railroads were completed and then after cars took over and radio took over and then TV. What I see coming is we will have implants that connect us to the internet on demand 24/7 and it's not very far in the future.

Bill Gates dismissed the internet as not worth investing in back in 1992. He thought it would just be a way for things like the military and colleges to exchange information. He admitted just five years later in 1997 that if you would told him in 1992 he would be seeing the internet address for McDonald's website on one of it's TV commercials he would not have believed it. Mark Twain did exactly the same thing when he turned down a chance to invest in the telephone. He thought it was a toy that would only be used to make doctor's appointments and order groceries from your local market.

For the most part the boomers did not get the internet at first. I can get upset with myself because I saw it before it was web based, just GOPHER and TELNET and I saw the potential. Not what it would become, few saw that. But I was in a small college town chatting on USENET with people around the world. Pulling up all kinds of info. Even one of the first to use an internet source on a term paper, at least for that professor.

I laughed at so much of what I heard and saw in the 1990s. People thought if it involved the web it had to work. Seeing it makes me feel what it had to be line 100 years before with cars taking shape and taking over. So much is still evolving. Remember 10 years ago when YouTube videos would pause to buffer? When is the last time that happened?

Why do you need 4 streaming services? I pulled Netflix over a year ago, do not miss it. Subscribe to none now but might pick one at at time up to watch some stuff from in the day then will drop it. Currently gathering ideas to make a YouTube channel, people in my life who do not know each other keep telling me to do it. Maybe I make a living on it.

As to implants that you can keep. I don't want anything in my head.
The President is a fink.
February 8th, 2022 at 7:40:12 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: AZDuffman
I don't want anything in my head.

Some might say you have had your wish for years. I couldn't resist AZD ;-)
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 8th, 2022 at 9:27:15 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman

Why do you need 4 streaming services?

They all offer their own unique content that you can't find anywhere else, specific series that they alone produce.

As far as the internet goes I was so successful selling on eBay from about 1997 to 2005 because most of the antique dealers I knew didn't have computers yet because they're older people and computers were still really expensive. So I could go to an antique show and wander around and get fabulous bargains because these people had no idea what stuff was selling for on eBay. Right around 2003 or 2004 I started to hear when I called the eBay echo at shows. Everywhere I went dealers were talking about eBay and that was the beginning of the end for me. By 2005 stuff was getting so hard to buy that I just totally got out of the business. I got in on the ground floor of eBay because I immediately recognized its potential. As early as 1994 I thought about auctions on the internet but I didn't have the technical knowledge or the money to start that kind of a site.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 8th, 2022 at 11:07:06 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25

We have about the same package of programs, I like the way Netflix's programming works the best for me. We have Prime because of deliveries but it's kind of funky searching for video, I think.

I've just started getting more and more into Youtube, partly because I can view it on my large screen and my wife has gotten me interested more in backstory's of show or series we like. I've been binging on the backstory's for Yellowstone and 1883 on and off for a few days, it's getting as good as the series. I really like the western motif so it's enjoyable looking at the sets, and wardrobes. The woman that made the 1883 wardrobe did some of the Deadwood set, and also Yellowstone. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/1883-costumes-janie-bryant-yellowstone-sequel-1235067073/

I dropped HBO for awhile, they need to get some programming I like.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 12th, 2022 at 7:02:03 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Raised by Wolves

So far pretty good
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 17th, 2022 at 10:58:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
I don't know how they did it but whoever's making Reacher on Amazon Prime has totally nailed it. It's uncanny how much Alan Ritchson is like the Jack Reacher in the books. He's even got the right physique. The loner moodiness. I actually watched two episodes back-to-back, it's just as good as the books and how often can you say that. Hugely good reviews Reacher fans are loving this. This can go at least five or six seasons easily.

February 18th, 2022 at 9:54:18 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Netflix
Downfall : The case against Boeing

Wow. So far gripping. Only 30 min in. Review coming
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 18th, 2022 at 10:39:57 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I don't know how they did it but whoever's making Reacher on Amazon Prime has totally nailed it.

Agreed.

I like the Reacher books and enjoyed the Tom Cruise films but always I thought "Tom Cruise is too small, too wimpy, to portray Jack Reacher."