Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

February 18th, 2022 at 11:00:52 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: missedhervee
Agreed.

I like the Reacher books and enjoyed the Tom Cruise films but always I thought "Tom Cruise is too small, too wimpy, to portray Jack Reacher."

I enjoyed most of the Reacher books but that is why I hesitate to watch the series.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 18th, 2022 at 11:16:29 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: terapined
Netflix
Downfall : The case against Boeing

Wow. So far gripping. Only 30 min in. Review coming

It was pretty devastating for Boeing
This is why I don't own Boeing stock

As to Reacher
Latest book "Better off Dead" has him buying the farm at the beginning and rolled into the morgue.
Wasn't looking good for the big guy
Of course the next few chapters are why and how he faked the death:-)
I doubt I'm giving anything away as any Lee Child reader would figure the death has to be fake. It's Reacher. He's literally super-duper man :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 18th, 2022 at 12:18:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich
I enjoyed most of the Reacher books but that is why I hesitate to watch the series.

There is no difference between the book and the series, it's almost like they used the book as the screenplay. And the guy playing Reacher just nails it in every way.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 18th, 2022 at 4:31:40 PM permalink
terapined
Netflix
Archive 81
Just watched episode 1
Wow
Creepy
WTF is going on
Pretty good. Reminds me of the Ring and Blair witch project in that old videos used a lot
Very well done
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 19th, 2022 at 7:11:31 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
There is no difference between the book and the series, it's almost like they used the book as the screenplay. And the guy playing Reacher just nails it in every way.

I am just skeptical. I have never read a book that I thought was good and then seen a movie that lived up to it. Just not enough time in a movie to cover the details.

One of the best books that I ever read was "Catch me if you can". The movie was fine but the book was fantastic.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 19th, 2022 at 8:47:39 AM permalink
terapined
I am just skeptical. I have never read a book that I thought was good and then seen a movie that lived up to it. Just not enough time in a movie to cover the details.

One of the best books that I ever read was "Catch me if you can". The movie was fine but the book was fantastic.

I disagree
Sometimes the movies can be better
Take Ready Player One
I thought the movie was better then the book
It was a good story
Steven tweaked the story. The contest in the book was weak where Spielberg vastly improved the contest
I'd rather see that fabulous video game race in the movie instead of say a rehash of remembering all the lines from the movie Wargames that was a key contest in the book.
I read the Hobbit and Peter Jackson expanded the story into 3 movies and it was fabulous.
I liked the science fiction movie Arrival
I decided to read the short story it was based on "Story of your life" it was weak and I actually found other short stories in the book by the same author that were more interesting.
February 19th, 2022 at 8:51:37 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

I think that is one of the good thing about miniseries. It's a much better format to adapt books (especially multiple books with each being a separate season). The two hour long single movie was never great because it forced character development and story arcs in an arbitrary way that can instead be expanded over 4-10 episodes of 1 hours each.

I think one of the best book adoptions to a movie was Lord of the Rings (The Trilogy, not the Hobbit), and those were quite long movies for each book (close three-four hours each for the extended editions). (
The Hobbit did it totally wrong, in fact polar opposite making 1 book into three long movies which was just a terrible decision, and added too much to the story....)
February 19th, 2022 at 9:51:36 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

A movie would have to be 8 or 10 hours long to cover everything that's in a book of course that's impossible so the movies are almost always not as good as the book
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 19th, 2022 at 10:34:21 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
A movie would have to be 8 or 10 hours long to cover everything that's in a book of course that's impossible so the movies are almost always not as good as the book
That's how it works for me. Most movies are less than 2 hours long. Depending on the reading, most books that I enjoy take over 2 hours to read. I couldn't believe how many pages were in GOT when I read the books years ago. I remember thinking there is no way to make a movie from this with all the gyrations. But yep, they did it. I think one of the first 3 books was about 1400 pages. That, took a while to read.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 19th, 2022 at 11:41:02 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: petroglyph
That's how it works for me. Most movies are less than 2 hours long. Depending on the reading, most books that I enjoy take over 2 hours to read. I couldn't believe how many pages were in GOT when I read the books years ago. I remember thinking there is no way to make a movie from this with all the gyrations. But yep, they did it. I think one of the first 3 books was about 1400 pages. That, took a while to read.

'The Wheel of Time' took 14 large books to complete the story, probably 200 or more hours of reading for most people. The original author(Robert Jordan) died before he finished it and Brandon Sanderson completed the story using notes from the original author. Sanderson was already a well established author when he took on the project.

I havent had a chance to watch any of the series that is showing on Amazon Prime. Any comments or reviews on it.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin