Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

April 30th, 2022 at 5:14:46 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Ozark is back
What a great show
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 6th, 2022 at 12:18:58 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
There is so much good stuff on HBO right now it's blowing my mind. I watch HBO now almost exclusively. Hacks, with Jean Smart. It's pure brilliance and it's already won some awards for its first season. Second season starts next week. It's about an aging woman comic in Las Vegas and it hits home runs on so many levels that every episode is great. I wonder how many seasons the writing will hold up. Jean Smart was 70 years old for the first season and in some of the episodes she looks absolutely awful. She used to be beautiful. She must have a really strong self-image to let them do that to her. Also watching The Offer on Paramount. It's about how hard it was to make The Godfather, I had no idea how much the mafia tried to stop this movie from being made. Giovanni Ribisi is terrific as Joe Colombo. He's one of the most talented actors of our time he's great in everything he does.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 6th, 2022 at 12:44:54 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Have you watched 1883 yet? What a terrific short series. Taylor Sheridan truly shows what mastery he has in telling a story accurately. I'm sure it will win several awards.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 6th, 2022 at 3:05:15 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
There is so much good stuff on HBO right now it's blowing my mind. I watch HBO now almost exclusively. Hacks, with Jean Smart. It's pure brilliance and it's already won some awards for its first season. Second season starts next week. It's about an aging woman comic in Las Vegas and it hits home runs on so many levels that every episode is great. I wonder how many seasons the writing will hold up. Jean Smart was 70 years old for the first season and in some of the episodes she looks absolutely awful. She used to be beautiful. She must have a really strong self-image to let them do that to her. Also watching The Offer on Paramount. It's about how hard it was to make The Godfather, I had no idea how much the mafia tried to stop this movie from being made. Giovanni Ribisi is terrific as Joe Colombo. He's one of the most talented actors of our time he's great in everything he does.

I love Hacks.

But Hacks is a very “woke” show. I’m shocked EB can stomach it.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 12th, 2022 at 2:41:12 PM permalink
terapined
Just dropped on Netflix
This looks good
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 19th, 2022 at 2:36:06 PM permalink
terapined
Operation Mincemeat
Very good
I read about the real Operation and the movie pretty much stuck with historical accuracy

Watching Lincoln lawyer
The new series on Netflix, not the movie
Into episode 2, pretty good so far
May 19th, 2022 at 2:52:25 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
Operation Mincemeat
Very good
I read about the real Operation and the movie pretty much stuck with historical accuracy

Watching Lincoln lawyer
The new series on Netflix, not the movie
Into episode 2, pretty good so far

I watched about half of Operation Mincemeat and then got distracted (the movie was very good, the distraction was something that I had to do, nothing with movie quality). Though I am very familiar with the story (love Ian Fleming, and I read a book that I suspect the movie is based on, can't recall the title), so I can guess how it ends. It was a pretty impressive idea that actually worked.

Somebody at works keeps telling me to watch the Lincoln Lawyer, but I never actually saw the original movie. I tend to like legal movies and books (John Grisham fan), so I am sure that I would like it. But, the problem is there are so many shows that I want to watch, I just never get around to all of them (and to be honest this is not the top of my list). We are truly in a world with too much great content.
May 19th, 2022 at 2:59:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Still watching The Offer on Paramount. It's too hard to believe that all this stuff happened in making The Godfather. But I'm learning from other sources like documentaries by the director Francis Ford Coppola and other people who were involved that it was true that everybody tried to stop The Godfather from being made including Paramount. A former Mafia member who was young at the time and knew all the parties involved says the only thing he has issue with is they paint Joe Colombo as to likable person, too sympathetic. In real life he was a monster who was uneducated and brutal. Giovanni Ribisi is playing him almost like he's your kindly uncle. I'm really enjoying this so far because I had no idea any of this happened.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 20th, 2022 at 4:10:18 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Gandler
I watched about half of Operation Mincemeat and then got distracted (the movie was very good, the distraction was something that I had to do, nothing with movie quality). Though I am very familiar with the story (love Ian Fleming, and I read a book that I suspect the movie is based on, can't recall the title), so I can guess how it ends. It was a pretty impressive idea that actually worked.

The Netflix film was released in Britain last month as a feature film in theaters. Domestic film revenue in the US & Canada is 57% of the revenue pre-pandemic, so a historical film is still better off streaming.

Box Office Revenue relative to 2019 as of May 20th.
57% 2022
13% 2021
43% 2020
100% 2019
110% 2018
103% 2017

The original film was made in 1955 based on a novel of the same name written a few years earlier.

The Man Who Never Was (novel)

The author of the book, Ewen Edward Samuel Montagu (1901‑1985) is portrayed by Colin Firth in the Netflix film.

The operation was partly inspired by the Trout Memo, written in 1939. The Trout Memo is a document comparing deception of an enemy in wartime with fly fishing. Issued under the name of Admiral John Godfrey, Britain's director of naval intelligence, according to the historian Ben Macintyre it bore the hallmarks of having been written by Godfrey's assistant Ian Fleming, who later created the James Bond series of spy novels.

The memo reads, in part: "The Trout Fisher casts patiently all day. He frequently changes his venue and his lures. If he has frightened a fish he may 'give the water a rest for half-an-hour,' but his main endeavour, viz. to attract fish by something he sends out from his boat, is incessant." The memo goes on to list 54 ways that the enemy, like trout, may be fooled or lured in.
June 1st, 2022 at 1:38:53 PM permalink
terapined
Baltimore to Pay Rapper Young Moose $300,000 in Lawsuit Against Police Officer Depicted in HBO’s We Own This City
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/baltimore-pay-rapper-young-moose-194500813.html

Just saw this story. Gonna watch this series tonight