Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

July 1st, 2022 at 9:43:48 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler
Do you have to watch the movie first or is it completely unrelated?

Unrelated
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 1st, 2022 at 11:35:44 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

I guess not, I didn't know there was a movie.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 2nd, 2022 at 9:44:41 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Both the movie and the Netflix series are based on the same books, but they are not otherwise related and can be viewed independently.
July 10th, 2022 at 4:59:03 AM permalink
terapined
Umbrella Academy
Just finished season 3
Season 1 and 2 were fabulous with the Commission and their different assasins.
Season 3 no commission and no assasins
It was enjoyable but not as good as Season 1 and 2

Martha Mitchell effect
Brought back a lot of memories. This is a documentary. Another service has Julia Robert's playing Martha. It was good. Brought back aot of memories
In the end, Martha was right!

Trying to watch Stranger Things. Watched Season 1 and 2 years ago. Trying to get back into it but I hate all the kiddie stuff. I want plot development, not kiddie stuff

Girl in the picture. Documentary. Haunting and tragic
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 12th, 2022 at 5:09:42 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I finished "The Terror" (AMC, 2018), I actually borrowed the DVD from the library (could not find a streaming place to view it, first time I can say this for a long time, so I guess technically not something I streamed, but hey I think its technically on Hulu...), it has been a show that I have been wanting to see for some time. It is a miniseries about the Franklin Expedition in the 1840s-for the Northwest Passage- .

Its not a show for everyone, if the subject matter does not interest you, you probably will not enjoy it. But, its a perfect length, 10 episodes, just one miniseries (yes I have been made aware there is a season two about WWII camps, that is terribly reviewed, and has no connection to the original series other than sharing the title with a vague supernatural backdrop over a historical event, and I have no plans on watching).

HMS Terror was a Naval vessel designed for the War of 1812 (mortar ship), and HMS Erebus (which means the darkness of hell) was a similar vessel, but made post-war. Both were believed to be state of the art ships and modified for artic exploration.

(Spoilers for those unfamiliar with the history) The short version is they get stuck in ice for multiple years. And, they all eventually die off from a perfect storm of things that go wrong (improper canning leading to lead poising, not enough fuel, not a proper rescue plan, several overly cold winters in a row not allowing the ships to naturally thaw from the ice as they should at the end of winter). The show (which is based on a book which I have not read, but plan to), portrays these events with a supernatural twist to it. Its by Ridley Scott so it has survival horror elements.

I would recommend it for people interested in history. My main complaint is the supernatural element. (more spoilers ), the real story is suspenseful enough without having to add in a bear monster for added action. Also polar bears are basically monsters -and are one of the only animals that will actively hunt humans- (and with early firearms would be quite a foe on their own -even with current firearms-, if they really wanted a bunch of bear attacks). I would rate is 9/10 for me with the caveat that I know its not for everyone, but one of the more interesting shows that I have seen in a while.

Book Information for those interested in the novel:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3974.The_Terror
(Apparently it is a very lengthy novel, almost 800 pages hardcover, and a lot of the negative reviews seem to be based on a combination of the length, and the supernatural elements which was my primary complaint from the show, though still has a solid 4.0+).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjq7Gl_hhPY&t=44s
July 12th, 2022 at 5:34:14 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I finished "The Terror" (AMC, 2018),

I’ve had this book on my shelf for ages. Always wanted to read it, but it’s so long. Will definitely be a big commitment.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 12th, 2022 at 6:04:17 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: ams288
I’ve had this book on my shelf for ages. Always wanted to read it, but it’s so long. Will definitely be a big commitment.

Try watching the show or an episode maybe to see what you think. I have had two people tell me that you should see the show before reading the book (which is -forgive the pun- the polar opposite of what I usually get told, and the opposite of what I generally advise for medias that I have watched and read). But, if you like the subject matter and the supernatural twist does not put you off, I have been told the book is worth it (but, if either of the above applies, you are may be better off just reading non-fiction account, and even more has been discovered since the book -2007- and even the show -2018- so there is even more to read now, and I believe the most recently planned explorations of the sites in 2020 and 2021 were cancelled because of COVID so there will probably be even more at some point). But, like you said the book is a big commitment (I may actually try to get a Kindle version as its prime day today).

I am somebody who loves history, and even historical fiction if it is well done. And, besides the supernatural elements (which, especially towards the end got a bit much), this show was very well portrayed.
July 30th, 2022 at 3:07:30 PM permalink
terapined
Netflix
Love, Death + Robots
This absolutely rocks.
July 30th, 2022 at 8:53:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
This absolutely rocks.

Pretty amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lbGZAdX9xI

The "Three Robots" is the only episode to have a sequal in two different season. Three Robots are investigating the destruction of mankind to figure out what happened.
July 30th, 2022 at 8:53:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Stranger Things has finally jumped the shark in season 4. Every episode is way too long and chock-full of useless dialogue that I have to use the 10 second button on Netflix to plow through it. This means I can watch two entire episodes in an hour if I weed out all the crap. The final episode is two and a half hours long of mostly crap. One of the main characters was taken captive by the Russians at the end of season 3 and is stuck in a Russian Gulag for this entire fourth season. Talk about boring, he finally gets out in the last episode. They drug it out and drug it out. The character of 11 spends the entire season locked inside a government facility being experimented on. She also gets out in the last episode. Thankfully I fast forward through most of it and only watch the good parts. Season 5 will be the last season, they should have quit after season 3 which was pretty good.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.