Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

October 23rd, 2016 at 9:11:11 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
Not really a series you binge on since every episode is stand alone with different stories and characters.

I never finished the second episode of Black Mirror since it made me want to kill myself. Twilight, the movie, made me want to kill myself because it was excruciatingly bad. But "Black Mirror" was excellent writing, but it was actually worse than a horror movie because it seems so realistic.
October 23rd, 2016 at 10:40:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
I never finished the second episode of Black Mirror since it made me want to kill myself.

Isn't that the series with a pig
in the first episode? Pure tasteless
crap, never saw ep 2.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 23rd, 2016 at 12:02:41 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
Isn't that the series with a pig in the first episode?

Yes, that is the series. I couldn't get all the way through episode #2 as it was just too dark for me.

------------------
Black Mirror Episodes
#1 "The National Anthem" (4 December 2011) Prime Minister Michael Callow faces a huge and shocking dilemma when Princess Susannah, Duchess of Beaumont , a much-loved member of the Royal Family, is kidnapped.

#2 "Fifteen Million Merits" (11 December 2011) The episode is a satire on entertainment shows and our insatiable thirst for distraction.

#3 "The Entire History of You"( 18 December 2011) In an alternate reality most people have a 'grain' implanted behind their ear that records everything they do, see, or hear. This allows memories to be played back either in front of the person's eyes or on a screen, a process known as a 're-do'.

Episode #3 reminds me of a 2004 Robin Williams movie call "The Final Cut" ( a critical and commercial failure). In the film memory implants make it possible to record entire lives. Williams plays a professional who specializes in editing the memories of unsavory people into uncritical memorials that are played at funerals. People who are looking for convictions of criminal activity naturally want the unedited implants to look for evidence.
October 24th, 2016 at 1:33:52 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Amazon Prime Video is always trying to up-sell by touting a new movie and if you click on it then it shoes its a modest fee or its free but requires a sign up for some other system or video displays.
November 2nd, 2016 at 7:18:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
The Imitation Game, the story of Alan Turning
and the Enigma Machine. It's loosely (very)
based on the 1983 book. My big problem is
so much of the movie is exaggerated drama.
They act like Turing broke the code almost
single handedly. He didn't, other govt's
cryptographers helped a lot. They say the
most help came from the carelessness
and incompentency of the Germans who
operated the machines. They made constant
mistakes and we learned many words that
Turing used to program his machine with.

My biggest complaint is they made Turing
into a Sheldon clone. He has every single
obnoxious trait as Sheldon and manifests
them the same way. Very lazy on the
scriptwriters part.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 3rd, 2016 at 10:13:44 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
My biggest complaint is they made Turing into a Sheldon clone.

My biggest problem is that they took a genuine hero, and turned him into the man who single handily saved Western Civilization.
November 3rd, 2016 at 10:22:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
My biggest problem is that they took a genuine hero, and turned him into the man who single handily saved Western Civilization.

That's the point I was making. He did a
great thing by inventing his machine,
he's the father of the computer age.
Like I said, they made it seem like he alone
ended the war 2 years early. He certainly
contributed a lot but he had a ton of
help. Who knows what else he could
have done if the Brits hadn't been so
wildly bigoted against Gays.
November 10th, 2016 at 3:25:15 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

And you think he wasn't so handy? <blink>

I cancelled Netflix for the time being. I really don't use it much, and the price went up starting this month. Also, we're entering the heavy workload period at the office, and I won't have either the time or the desire to watch it.

I'm thinking I'll see whether the Trek series do come in, especially the new one, and I can resubscribe by March for a couple of months, then cancel again. I figure if I can go for months without watching anything on it, I should got for months without paying for it as well.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 10th, 2016 at 8:14:59 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
I cancelled Netflix for the time being. I really don't use it much, and the price went up starting this month. Also, we're entering the heavy workload period at the office, and I won't have either the time or the desire to watch it.

As Netflix has moved beyond it's original concept as a more convenient option than going to a DVD rental store to a purveyor of mostly odd and puzzling TV series, it is open to people who simply want to rent it for 90 days out of the year to watch the shows that look interesting to them.
November 10th, 2016 at 8:51:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
to a purveyor of mostly odd and puzzling TV series, \.

You're being kind. Ridiculous and unwatchable TV
series is more like it. Maybe 1 in 10 is worth seeing.