Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

October 31st, 2017 at 2:16:08 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
I think the answer is Star Trek Discovery is exclusive to CBS:All Access, while Rick and Morty Season 3 is available

Outside the US and Canada, Netflix was supposed to carry Discovery. A coworker tells me it is there. we'll see.

I tried to log in a few days ago, and it offered me one free month. If that works, I may sign back up and unsubscribe again if the shows aren't there. they're also supposed to have full seasons of all trek series. there are a few Voyager eps I've wanted to re-watch (like "The Year of Hell")
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 31st, 2017 at 5:01:43 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Outside the US and Canada, Netflix was supposed to carry Discovery. A coworker tells me it is there. we'll see.

It looks like he might be correct.
Quote: Cinema Blend
CBS and Netflix announced today that the streaming service will make the series available within 24 hours of its airing on CBS All Access in 188 countries around the world, including the U.K. The catch, though, is that CBS All Access is still the only way for Americans to see the new series; there will be no Netflix airing of the show here or in Canada. The only reprieve we get is with the premiere episode, which will also air on the regular CBS network, while Canadians will get the opportunity to watch the series on the Space and Z cable networks, with CraveTV having the exclusive streaming rights.
October 31st, 2017 at 7:04:30 PM permalink
Pacomartin
It looks like he might be correct.

I took a 7 day free trial to see what the show was like. It is certainly the most impressive graphics that I have ever seen in a TV show. Unfortunately after the pilot, I have to admit I like "The Orville" better. "Star Trek, Discovery" takes itself very seriously and I found myself getting bored.
November 1st, 2017 at 7:55:52 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I took a 7 day free trial to see what the show was like. It is certainly the most impressive graphics that I have ever seen in a TV show. Unfortunately after the pilot, I have to admit I like "The Orville" better. "Star Trek, Discovery" takes itself very seriously and I found myself getting bored.

You'd like "Redshirts" by John Scalzi. He makes a very hard point, repeatedly, as to how the most serious (and dramatic) parts of Trek are really ridiculous :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 1st, 2017 at 10:22:39 AM permalink
Pacomartin
The 2nd-4th episode of Star Trek Discovery really picked up the story line. I should have waited before making negative comments.
November 3rd, 2017 at 1:07:43 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Dead Poets Society sure hasn't held up
well. in 1989 it was nominated best pic, Robin
Williams best actor. Well, he's rarely seen
in it, and he just plays the same part
he always played. What a bore-fest of
a movie, even the kid shooting himself
was so predictable and boring. These
coming of age movies were all the rage
for awhile.

The acting was top notch, though. Watch
the young men in this, and compare the
acting to the kids in Stranger Things.
You'll understand why I can't watch it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 3rd, 2017 at 1:57:48 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
The acting was top notch, though. Watch the young men in this, and compare the
acting to the kids in Stranger Things. You'll understand why I can't watch it.

Dead Poets Society was basically adults acting as high school kids. Stranger Things is real kids.

I did like one particular scene in Stranger Things #2. Caleb McLaughlin (born October 13th, 2001) playing Lucas Sinclair explains everything that happened in the first season to the new character, Max, played by Sadie Sink (born April 16, 2002). When he gets done she treats his account like a fictional story and launches into some criticism that basically echoes every real life criticism of Season #1 (it's derivative, non focused, scattered storyline that borrows from too many different genres, etc.).

I have to admire a writer who can incorporate criticism into their own storyline. It shows up every now and then in television.
November 3rd, 2017 at 10:55:33 AM permalink
Evenbob
Dead Poets Society was basically adults acting as high school kids. Stranger Things is real kids.

Go back to season 2 or 3 of Modern
Family and compare those kids acting
to ST. The kids in ST are just awful,
painful to watch. But so are the adults,
they just basically say their lines. That's
why you've never seen them before,
except burn out Ryder. They have
never done much before because
they have no talent.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 4th, 2017 at 7:18:15 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
That's why you've never seen them before, except burn out Ryder.

Her most financially successful film was a critical failure and was released a few months before her highly public trial and sentencing.
November 4th, 2017 at 11:59:53 AM permalink
Evenbob
Michael Clayton, for 2nd time. Why was
this nominated for Oscars, it's so boring
and forgettable I forgot I had already
seen it. Clooney plays himself, as usual.
The story is old as the hills, big law
firm against bad corp giant. Totally
predictable ending. Yawner of a movie.