Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

May 24th, 2018 at 11:59:18 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
The premise of the movie is ridiculous.

So the mom was 40 when she got knocked up?

The actresses that played mother and daughter in the original London show were 18 years apart, while Meryl Streep and Amanda Seyfried are roughly 35 years apart. So it's not QUITE as bad as 40.

But movie musicals have a long history of casting the inappropriate for musicals. They also have a long history of casting movie stars more for their ability to sell tickets than their singing ability. Mamma Mia was not the worst one.

One of the worst had to be Man of La Mancha (1972). There was nothing wrong with the ages of the actors because Aldonza was supposed to be a prostitute and Don Quixote sees her as his young and beautiful Dulcinea. The biggest problem is they cast only one small role with the original Broadway actor, and none of the movie stars could sing on this level.

Peter O'Toole age 40
Sophia Loren age 38
James Coco age 42
Harry Andrews age 61
John Castle age 32
Ian Richardson age 38

May 31st, 2018 at 1:58:10 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Just signed all 4 seasons of Bosch the other week - excellent series (loved seeing actors from The Wire)

Goliath is amazing - great performances all around (Goliath season 2 appears on June 15th)

Anytime Paul Williams makes an appearance I am all in!
May 31st, 2018 at 2:28:43 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Bosch rocks.
Both the series and the books
One procedure they make a big deal of in the books but never mention in the series
The murder book homicide investigators put together to figure out the case
Its a huge factor in just about all the numerous books but hardly mentioned in the series

Loved Goliath
I am sticking with Amazon just to see season 2 in a couple of weeks
I think the judge is miss casted . Liked him in OZ and Lost. I would expect somebody that looked older to play the judge
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 31st, 2018 at 2:41:35 PM permalink
aceofspades
Which procedure?
May 31st, 2018 at 3:46:16 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: aceofspades
Which procedure?

The procedure of putting together the murder book
Everything goes in the book
You get a anonymous call regarding the case, goes in the murder book
You interview somebody, it goes in the murder book
Its extremely important to constantly update the murder book as clues are discovered or dismissed
Anything remotely connected to the murder, goes in the murder book.
Putting together the murder book is very time consuming for detectives but very important to solving cases
This has always been a big part of all Michael Connelly books about Bosch
Mistakes in the murder book can ruin a case. There was a whole Michael Connelly Bosch novel about this

The murder book has always been a big part of all the novels that the series pretty much ignores
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 31st, 2018 at 5:10:58 PM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: terapined
The procedure of putting together the murder book
Everything goes in the book
You get a anonymous call regarding the case, goes in the murder book
You interview somebody, it goes in the murder book
Its extremely important to constantly update the murder book as clues are discovered or dismissed
Anything remotely connected to the murder, goes in the murder book.
Putting together the murder book is very time consuming for detectives but very important to solving cases
This has always been a big part of all Michael Connelly books about Bosch
Mistakes in the murder book can ruin a case. There was a whole Michael Connelly Bosch novel about this

The murder book has always been a big part of all the novels that the series pretty much ignores

Ahhhhh - I am a lawyer but not a criminal lawyer
Are you a law enforcement officer/criminal lawyer? or, just well informed re: police procedure?
May 31st, 2018 at 5:17:45 PM permalink
terapined
Ahhhhh - I am a lawyer but not a criminal lawyer
Are you a law enforcement officer/criminal lawyer? or, just well informed re: police procedure?

Everything I know about police procedure is from Michael Connelly's numerous Bosch books which translates into I don't know much.
May 31st, 2018 at 5:41:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Are you a law enforcement officer/criminal lawyer?

LOLOLOLOLOL

You just made my day, Ace...
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 1st, 2018 at 12:42:40 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Finally, next Tuesday on Netflix
June 1st, 2018 at 7:13:34 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Took me a half-minute to decide I was looking at Thor's hammer.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has