Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

February 12th, 2019 at 11:29:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The Hundred Foot Journey. Produced by Steven
Speilberg.

Kinda of a silly predictable story, but the production values
are so wonderful that you don't even really notice the story.
Shot in France, the movie is gorgeous.

The period buildings, the lighting, the acting, are what makes
this a really good movie. And it's a movie about restaurants
and chefs and food, which I always like anyway. It did good
at the box office, made four times what it cost to make.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 18th, 2019 at 10:48:08 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Saw the Fyre festival special on Netflix yesterday. I already read the in depth story in Vanity Fair last year, so I already knew the story. But I was impressed by all the actual footage, not just re enactments. Ja Rule seems like an asshole to me, typical rapper.

What happened to all the money though? Billy macfarland supposedly bilked 100 investors out of 27 million dollars to put on this fyre festival, but in the end nobody got paid? All the locals who set up the venue on the island, the pilots, boat captains, everyone else? Even Billy himself was broke when this was done so where did all that millions of dollars go?
February 18th, 2019 at 11:09:11 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: zippyboy
Saw the Fyre festival special on Netflix yesterday. I already read the in depth story in Vanity Fair last year, so I already knew the story. But I was impressed by all the actual footage, not just re enactments. Ja Rule seems like an asshole to me, typical rapper.

What happened to all the money though? Billy macfarland supposedly bilked 100 investors out of 27 million dollars to put on this fyre festival, but in the end nobody got paid? All the locals who set up the venue on the island, the pilots, boat captains, everyone else? Even Billy himself was broke when this was done so where did all that millions of dollars go?

February 18th, 2019 at 4:38:32 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Documentary Series Dogs

February 18th, 2019 at 6:50:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin
Documentary Series Dogs

Go and look at American paintings hundreds
of years ago. If it's a group of people
there will be a dog in there somewhere,
or more than one.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 21st, 2019 at 11:11:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Ricky Gervais has a new show called After Life
on Netflix. It's really not bad, he writes directs
and stars in it. Ricky Gervais is very funny, this
is just a platform for his sarcastic humor. I
laughed out loud more than once.
March 22nd, 2019 at 8:48:22 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
The Dirt

I've read the book a couple times; great read due to author Neil Strauss. I never was a Motley Crue fan, but the book was great. The movie, not so much. The first 30 minutes was so badly acted, badly written, etc, it was tough to watch. Finally got better after that. My girlfriend was a big Crue fan back in the day, and she teared up a couple times. The actors looked nothing like the real band members. Three band members are long-haired scrawny brunettes, I got confused a few times wondering who was talking on the screen. The actor playing Vince Neil was the only one obvious on the screen to me due to blonde hair. Pamela Anderson is never mentioned.

This was no Purple Rain, 8 Mile, Bohemian Rhapsody or Straight Outta Compton. Worth a watch I suppose if you were into the Crue. REELZ network regularly produced documentaries with more realistic looking actors.
March 23rd, 2019 at 12:04:37 AM permalink
Evenbob
Kelsey Grammer is shopping a revival of
Frasier around to places like Nflix, Hulu,
Prime. It would be him and Niles, and
Frasier's 30 year old son who would
have many of the quirks Frasier's dad
had. Chances are good some network
will pick it up, Frasier is still shown
round the world and has a huge audience.
March 23rd, 2019 at 6:14:18 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: zippyboy
The Dirt

I've read the book a couple times; great read due to author Neil Strauss. I never was a Motley Crue fan, but the book was great. The movie, not so much. The first 30 minutes was so badly acted, badly written, etc, it was tough to watch. Finally got better after that. My girlfriend was a big Crue fan back in the day, and she teared up a couple times. The actors looked nothing like the real band members. Three band members are long-haired scrawny brunettes, I got confused a few times wondering who was talking on the screen. The actor playing Vince Neil was the only one obvious on the screen to me due to blonde hair. Pamela Anderson is never mentioned.

This was no Purple Rain, 8 Mile, Bohemian Rhapsody or Straight Outta Compton. Worth a watch I suppose if you were into the Crue. REELZ network regularly produced documentaries with more realistic looking actors.

I've seen the Crüe quite a few times in concert - including at Mohegan Sun (with my dad) on their farewell tour
The movie was ok - more for fans of the band than anything else
Do you recommend the book?
March 23rd, 2019 at 1:53:51 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
Kelsey Grammer is shopping a revival of Frasier around to places like Nflix, Hulu, Prime.

Kelsey Grammer earned $1.6 million per episode of Frasier. It's not that Netflix wouldn't go for the idea of a Frasier revival, it's just a question of what they will pay.

Most of the top shows on Netflix are about $4 million per episode, although shows like The Crown are said to cost $13 million per episode.