Airbus 320 Dusseldorf de Barcelona CRASHED French Alps

Page 5 of 5« First<2345
March 27th, 2015 at 1:45:22 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
We'll just have to disagree. I prefer simpler times when, yes, a guy still living at home was probably not going to be climbing into the cockpit of a commercial airliner.

I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me real men flying those planes, or give me death [or, I should say, let none of us be surprised if we wind up dead]
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 27th, 2015 at 2:07:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
It's starting to sound (even though they are not releasing the medical details) that he had some severe depressive disorder, possibly in a vicious cycle with the idea that it might disqualify him from flying if it became known to his employer.

Or .... it's something completely different. heh.

Like a Catch22. Remember the premise of Catch 22?

EDIT - I suppose if he was required to be on some strong medication to prevent some psychological disorder, that could end his career.

And I only mean that was a possible excuse, hardly a justification, unless the plane was loaded with convicted Nazis, which it wasn't.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 27th, 2015 at 2:40:13 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Right, in the US you have the option of getting treatment and have your license suspended and/or revoked, or keep your license and fly without treatment.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 27th, 2015 at 3:15:37 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Some passengers refuse to fly with a female captain. Obviously its the passenger who gets deplaned, not the pilot.

Without more facts on the issue no one really can made educated guesses as to the impact of "still living at home"
March 28th, 2015 at 7:59:16 AM permalink
Fleastiff
According to theNYTimes, he was being treated for vision problems that would have ended his career.
March 31st, 2015 at 12:47:50 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
They found a cell phone video taken inside the passenger area that survived the impact. Not that it will be shown.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 14th, 2016 at 1:22:27 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Plaintiff's lawyers are so desperate to get into an American court and before an American Jury that they are suing the Arizona flight school owned by Lufthanza that trained the pilot and failed to detect and report his mental state.

Its unlikely to be successful, since the crash was in Europe and employment records and most medical records appear to be in Europe and all recent observations of his behavior were in Europe.
June 7th, 2016 at 1:39:27 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Here is a great GQ article on the crash from a couple months back:

http://www.gq.com/story/germanwings-flight-9525-final-moments

I read it when it was initially published and this disturbing description has really stuck with me:

Quote:
He was under orders not to touch any evidence, so each time he encountered a fragment of a human being—including, horrifically, a few scattered faces that had peeled off skulls like masks
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
Page 5 of 5« First<2345