Clarkson Sacked, Top Gear Dead

Page 1 of 41234>
March 25th, 2015 at 10:06:22 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
The last thing worth watching just got killed today. I have no words, least not any that won't get me suspended. I haven't been this upset by "media" or "celebrity" happenings ever. I'm just staggered.

"And on that bombshell, it's time to say goodbye."
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 25th, 2015 at 10:20:23 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Face
He has a history of flamboyant behavior but he must have a great relationship with his daughter... after his suspension a few weeks ago she humorously tweeted: BBC.... please take him back, he has started cooking".
March 25th, 2015 at 10:30:10 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
The last thing worth watching just got killed today. I have no words, least not any that won't get me suspended. I haven't been this upset by "media" or "celebrity" happenings ever. I'm just staggered.

Seems that punching someone out can get you fired.

Clarkson needed a reality check, but I suspect he doesn't much care... he'll turn up elsewhere, no doubt.

If you get of a helicopter at 10pm, after driving cars all day, and then drinking it up, and your biggest worry in the world is the lack of a hot meal, cos you are two hours late.... you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

I don't mind Clarkson, he's a loud mouth and a caricature, that gets ratings and air time. Getting upset about Clarkson's mouthing off it's like getting upset at Limbaugh. That's the point. You either cheer them for daring to say it, or get angry for them saying it. And the ratings keep up.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 25th, 2015 at 10:49:07 AM permalink
Calder
Threads: 0
I'm a fan, but not likely to watch the show without him, and I'm not a 'car guy.' [Proof: we own a Subaru and a Prius]
March 25th, 2015 at 10:51:43 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: TheCesspit
Seems that punching someone out can get you fired.

If Clarkson agrees to take a full on punch from Oisin Tymon, and still buy him a beer, then BBC should step back. It's a little Old West, but there is no point in ruining their product.
March 25th, 2015 at 11:16:59 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: Pacomartin
If Clarkson agrees to take a full on punch from Oisin Tymon, and still buy him a beer, then BBC should step back. It's a little Old West, but there is no point in ruining their product.

Oisin would be daft to agree to this....
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 25th, 2015 at 11:38:06 AM permalink
Face
You know, as someone who quite enjoys a spot of violence, even I can't condone punching someone at work. I get it. And even though I know no pertinent details to give an objective opinion, I'm pretty comfortable in saying it was wrong.

But, and perhaps it's my bias showing, I think a goodly amount of this decision was due to his "priors", and I found most of his priors to be pure bull#$%&.

Like the lorry thing. When behind the wheel and describing all the things a lorry driver had to do, he commented "Change gear, change gear, change gear, check your mirrors,... change gear, change gear, murder a prostitute..." THAT is goddamn HILARIOUS. Yet he caught hell. The Mexican made Mastretta - "It'll be wearing a blanket with a hole in the middle and leaned up against a fence post". HILARIOUS. Caught hell. Referring to us as "The United States of Paranoia" where "You need a permit to do anything, except purchase a weapon." Comedy freaking gold. Caught hell. If that offends you, $%^# off. Seriously.

I'm sitting here, not surprisingly, watching Top Gear right now, as I always do. And I just can't believe it. And while Top Gear "may go on", and while my favorite presenter happens to be the pedantic "Mr. Slowly", it won't be the same without the orangutan. It will not be watchable. Personally, were I producer for a cash cow and the victim of a fat lip, I'd have two totally different solutions. Either #$%^ you and fight me for real until it's settled, or pay me until my memory fails me.

On the future, Captain Slow had this to say...
Reporter: Can Top Gear continue?
May: I'm sure Top Gear will continue in some way. It existed before us, it's been reformatted several times.
R: Will you stay?
M: Well, I don't want to talk about that too much, but I think we're very much, the three of us, as a package; it works for very complicated reasons that a lot of people don't fully understand. That will require a lot of careful thought.
R: What about a possible replacement for Jeremy, and who would you be prepared to work with, who would you like to work with?
M: Umm... much as I think he's a knob, I quite like working with Jeremy.
[Courtesy of Sky News]
He then excused himself as he "very desperately had to write the Ebay listing for [his] Ferarri".

I for one hope they all jump ship. There's gotta be other channels that would castrate themselves to get a hold of these guys. They're ratings juggernauts. I know I got a whole lot of unwished upon birthday cakes, shooting stars, and fallen eyelashes I've never tried to redeem. I've finally found a reason to cash them in.
March 25th, 2015 at 11:44:08 AM permalink
TheCesspit

Like the lorry thing. When behind the wheel and describing all the things a lorry driver had to do, he commented "Change gear, change gear, change gear, check your mirrors,... change gear, change gear, murder a prostitute..." THAT is goddamn HILARIOUS. Yet he caught hell.

If I recall, and I maybe completely wrong, he made that joke during the investigation of a string of murdered prostitutes in Suffolk, where it was suspected the killer was a lorry driver.

(He was a fork-lift driver, previously a lorry driver).

The joke is funny, the timing maybe less so.
March 25th, 2015 at 12:05:07 PM permalink
Face
Quote: TheCesspit
If I recall, and I maybe completely wrong, he made that joke during the investigation of a string of murdered prostitutes in Suffolk, where it was suspected the killer was a lorry driver.

You would know better than I. I have never seen a "new" Top Gear. Anything I get a hold of is at least a year old, on account of not having traditional television service.

But still. I don't know what the BBC bills itself as and what, if any, image they have to uphold. But Top Gear is pure machismo. It caters to knuckle busting grease monkeys. This isn't the Westminster Dog Show or #$%^ing Antiques Roadshow. It's testosterone laden idiots laughing at lazy Mexicans, fat Americans, and anal retentive Germans. If a man is driving a goddam Boxster, of course you question his sexuality. It's funny. It what guy's guys do. The Cockster doesn't get offended, he quips back "your wife seemed to like it", and they become best friends, because that's how this brand of life works. But no. Comment a woman had on a red G-string under her burkha and a bunch of tw@s have to launch a campaign about it.

Man, I wish I was famous, just once. It would be short lived, but it would be dynamite.

March 25th, 2015 at 12:42:13 PM permalink
TheCesspit
You would know better than I. I have never seen a "new" Top Gear. Anything I get a hold of is at least a year old, on account of not having traditional television service.

I recall the investigation, quite clearly, as it was the first instance of the UK police using some software I had worked on.

Quote:
But still. I don't know what the BBC bills itself as and what, if any, image they have to uphold. But Top Gear is pure machismo. It caters to knuckle busting grease monkeys. This isn't the Westminster Dog Show or #$%^ing Antiques Roadshow. It's testosterone laden idiots laughing at lazy Mexicans, fat Americans, and anal retentive Germans. If a man is driving a goddam Boxster, of course you question his sexuality. It's funny. It what guy's guys do. The Cockster doesn't get offended, he quips back "your wife seemed to like it", and they become best friends, because that's how this brand of life works. But no. Comment a woman had on a red G-string under her burkha and a bunch of tw@s have to launch a campaign about it.

Man, I wish I was famous, just once. It would be short lived, but it would be dynamite.

Absolutely it is, that's the point, and the brand. I honestly think it was not for previous crimes, but for punching someone out. I know few jobs where doing that wouldn't get me dismissed.

Sod 'im, for sure it's a shame, but his overly entitled arse can go find another channel, and he'll be back on air, probably with May and Hammond. The hard part will be advertising revenue on a show that's quite likely to slag off any car brand that might advertise on it. Top Gear won't be a BBC cash cow, and that might cause 'em long term problems, but the Beeb isn't meant to be a profit churning exercise.
Page 1 of 41234>