How do you use your cell phone (vote for as many as apply)

Page 2 of 4<1234>
Poll
1 vote (5%)
4 votes (20%)
1 vote (5%)
1 vote (5%)
5 votes (25%)
7 votes (35%)
1 vote (5%)

20 members have voted

March 26th, 2015 at 2:01:58 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
I don't know the difference between a cell phone call and a wireless connection..

Wireless connections can be primarily bluetooth, DECT 6.0, wi-fi, or cellular .
Bluetooth is primarily one device to another device short range (about 50'-100').
DECT 6.0 is 500' and is the new standard for cordless phones but to multiple handsets (5,8 or 10),
Wi-fi is wireless ethernet and is usually less than 1000' but that depends a lot on wall material, and
Cellular could be up to 45 miles away from a tower but is usually a lot less.

You can use different combinations of these devices to save you money. Verizon charges $40/month for a smart phone (unlimited talk and text on cellular) and $30/month for one Gb of data usage up to $750/month for 100 Gb of data usage.

On the other end of the spectrum are programs that only use wi-fi connections and are $ZERO a month. For the price of the phone ($100) you can have voice/texting/data when you are near a home or public wifi station. Burger King and McDonalds have free wifi which can usually be accessed from the parking lot. Scratch Wireless is the only one that also gives you free texting from cellular towers.

DECT 6.0 gives you intercom and cordless to up to 8 handsets around your home or office. You need only one connection point to the outside world. That could be a wireline or a bluetooth connection to your mobile phone or both.

Since mobile phones are increasingly becoming the only choice for telephone service some people find them awkward to use at home. Primarily the reason is they have to be charged, and you often plug them in and when they ring they are in the other room. The other reason is homes often have dead spots (particularly in the basement). A bluetooth connection to a bank of handsets connected by DECT 6.0 takes care of both those problems.
March 26th, 2015 at 7:35:21 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I haven't had a cell phone for the past three years. Rather I have a tiny computer with a cell phone app.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 26th, 2015 at 1:34:47 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
I haven't had a cell phone for the past three years. Rather I have a tiny computer with a cell phone app.

Well, that's the problem. The sound leaks out because they aren't shaped like phones. I ordered one of these extensions (to use around the house at least) to make it more like an old fashioned phone.
March 26th, 2015 at 2:41:34 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
I ordered one of these extensions (to use around the house at least) to make it more like an old fashioned phone.

No offense, but that looks like something one would see featured in The Onion.

What I'd really like is a phone that can be controlled with the car's stereo's controls. It's a lot easier to press "stop" by feel, than to unlock the touch screen, peer at it, find the small patch of screen one must tap, etc.
March 26th, 2015 at 3:03:12 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
The bluetooth connection on my wife's car is like that. The controls are on the car's 6 inch touchscreen display.

You can answer/hang up a call with a button on the steering wheel, too.

The call then goes over the stereo speakers, and there is a mic somewhere in there.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 26th, 2015 at 7:50:21 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
Well, that's the problem. The sound leaks out because they aren't shaped like phones. I ordered one of these extensions (to use around the house at least) to make it more like an old fashioned phone.

Good idea, I don't want all the RF crap
right next to my head. That's part of the
reason I never use cell phones. To me
they're like cigarettes. They were said
to be good for you, by doctors no less,
in the 30's and 40's. They may find
cell phones are the cigarettes of the
2000's..

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 26th, 2015 at 8:43:58 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Dalex64
The bluetooth connection on my wife's car is like that. The controls are on the car's 6 inch touchscreen display.

IMO, that adds to the problem. It's hard to work a touch screen by feel.

I should have made it clear, though, that my problem lies with podcasts. Often I want to rewind a bit, but on a touch screen it's hard to do so while driving.
March 26th, 2015 at 8:47:58 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
Good idea, I don't want all the RF crap right next to my head.

That is actually one of the advertising points of the headset. It claims to reduce RF by 99%. Of course it is now to big to put in your pocket, but it's OK around the house or in the car.

Anyway these wifi phones operated by Google Hangouts are free. While not as convenient as a cellular phone they do alright for most casual communication. As I said, you can buy one way cell calls for $15 for 120 minutes . It's not at all rare for couples to spend $2K a year on their mobile phones.
March 27th, 2015 at 4:14:38 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Nareed
IMO, that adds to the problem. It's hard to work a touch screen by feel.

I should have made it clear, though, that my problem lies with podcasts. Often I want to rewind a bit, but on a touch screen it's hard to do so while driving.

Ahh, I haven't tested the buttons next to the touchscreen when a podcast is playing.
When music is playing, you can press the seek buttons to restart a song or skip to the next one. It is possible that holding the button will start Ff/Rw mode. I'll try that when I get a chance.

The short version is the technogy you are looking for does exist. Whether or not you have a few useful buttons or have to use the touchscreen is depends on your car.

I also find the move to touchscreen controls annoying, and a bad idea. Fortunately the most popular radio functions, at least, still also have buttons and knobs in addition to the touchscreen interface. For example, there is a volume knob, volume buttons on the steering wheel, and tuning buttons.

For fade and balance you have to use the touchscreen.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 27th, 2015 at 7:09:25 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Dalex64
Whether or not you have a few useful buttons or have to use the touchscreen is depends on your car.

My car is of a 2011 vintage, which in terms of modern electronics means its pre-pre-historic.

Quote:
I also find the move to touchscreen controls annoying, and a bad idea.

IMO fashion has caught up to interface design. If it looks good, that trumps whether it works well or not, or whether it meets the user's needs or not. Look at Windows 8 (which didn't even look good).

Quote:
Fortunately the most popular radio functions, at least, still also have buttons and knobs in addition to the touchscreen interface. For example, there is a volume knob, volume buttons on the steering wheel, and tuning buttons.

I wonder how long they'll last.

I think it was Douglas Adams who predicted next we'd just wave our hands in the general direction of the controls.
Page 2 of 4<1234>