Jesus & Horus. Coincidence?

Page 2 of 12<12345>Last »
March 26th, 2015 at 3:55:06 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Nareed
I ran across a really cute meme the other day. More or less it states:

"I have proof that God doesn't exist. I can't show it to you, I can't explain it. But can you prove I don't have it?"

I like that.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 26th, 2015 at 7:43:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed

"I have proof that God doesn't exist. I can't show it to you, I can't explain it. But can you prove I don't have it?"

When you believe strongly in something that
you can't prove exists, what does that make
you. If it's anything but god in a popular
religion, it makes you unstable, untrustworthy,
weird, eccentric, cracked, and the guy in the
tin foil hat. But if it's a nameless faceless
invisible unspeaking god, well, that's OK
then. We won't lock you in the loony bin
for thinking his son is god too.

In the old mental institutions, where you
would lock up Uncle Ned because he thought
he was Ben Franklin, and cousin Mary thought
she was 10 years old, the workers there would
often go a little nuts too. Being around crazy
people day after day wears on you mentally,
they are very convincing in their craziness.

Just like religious people. They are so convinced
they are right that you're the one who's crazy
for not being on their side. That's why they so
much want to convince you, if they do it means
they might not be crazy after all.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 26th, 2015 at 9:28:22 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
When you believe strongly in something that
you can't prove exists, what does that make
you.

Of course so much depends upon what you mean by 'prove', but I imagine this scenario would make you pretty much a normal human being. Some believe strongly that God does not exist, that their spouse loves them, that their country is the best, that so and so person is trustworthy, that this is the solution for world hunger, that the other political ideology is bonkers, etc. All of these things you believe strongly in and yet are unable to prove it. What people go to the crazy bin for is when you can prove what they believe is wrong and yet they still believe it strongly.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 26th, 2015 at 10:27:36 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I saw a bumper sticker that said "science works whether you believe in it or not".
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 27th, 2015 at 12:29:43 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
What people go to the crazy bin for is when you can prove what they believe is wrong and yet they still believe it strongly.

And of course you think that lets Jesus
believers off the hook because we can't
prove he isn't their secret dead friend who
answers their prayers and looks over
their shoulders to guide them. And
you drink his blood and eat his flesh
on a regular basis because he told you
to. And he's 'saved' you from something
nobody can quite figure out. And his
'virgin' mom has been elevated to one
notch below divinity, you can pray to
her, but never think she's anything
other than a caring mom.

Nothing crazy about any of that. It's
why most scientists are atheists, they
just aren't smart enough to grasp
supernatural superstitious supergoofy
religion. Good for them, cause if it were
up to the religious, it would still be the
13th century when they had all the power.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 27th, 2015 at 12:37:19 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph
I saw a bumper sticker that said "science works whether you believe in it or not".

Wait for it...

=)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 27th, 2015 at 4:03:19 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: petroglyph

That's a good bumper sticker. It is only the higher truths that need you to believe in them to work. It is philosophy that gives us the scientific method, ethics that tells science what it should or should not do, it is politics that fund the sciences, it is religion that inspires science through an ordered world worth studying. Having to believe in something does not make it less important or less impactful. Belief or faith, is the key ingredient to the most powerful forces in the world.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 27th, 2015 at 4:11:43 AM permalink
FrGamble
Nothing crazy about any of that.

It's like you are trying to speak a foreign language and it is all coming out wrong. When you attempt to give a summary of my faith I laugh because your misunderstanding and prejudice against it comes out in everything you write. Your attempt is so simplistic and using the wrong words and without nuance and without care or respect; it really as if you are a baby trying to speak French or something. It's quite hard to hear.
March 27th, 2015 at 6:58:27 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
That's a good bumper sticker.

I'm thinking of getting one that says: "God doesn't exist, even if you believe he loves you."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 27th, 2015 at 9:42:18 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Some even say Satan made up the Horus myth centuries ago to debunk the Jesus myth, which he knew was coming! lol

Various early church writers, such as Irenaeus (Bishop of Lyons) Justin Martyr (Christian apologist; 100 to 165), Tertullian (Christian theologian; circa 160 to 220 +) concluded that the Pagan/Christian similarities were a Satanic attempt at "diabolical mimicry." Satan was said to have use "plagiarism by anticipation." That is, the Devil made a pre-emptive strike against the gospel stories centuries before Jesus was born.

18. Horus was given the titel KRST which means “anointed one” Jesus was given the title Christ [Christos] meaning “anointed one”

The Greek word Christ was a translation of Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ (Māšîaḥ), both of which, as you pointed out, means "anointed one". The English word 'anoint", like so many English words came from Old French word which came from Latin inunguere "to anoint," from in- "on" + unguere "to smear" or to smear on ointment.

While this might seem like deliberate mimicry to you, it could merely be the tendency of human beings to point to a superior being as a type of "healer" and would be common to all types of religion.
Page 2 of 12<12345>Last »