I love chicken wings...

Page 2 of 2<12
November 22nd, 2012 at 2:51:53 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I can remember when chicken wings were substantially cheaper than the other parts of the chicken if you bought pieces instead of the whole bird. Maybe cheaper by the pound than the bird whole, it was close. This changed around 1970, I would guess. The story seemed to be that there originally was stigma attached to wings because back on the plantation that was one of the parts given to the slaves. I don't know how accurate that story was, but it sure seemed to be true that Af/A's still loved them and thought White people were stupid for missing out. In any case, it sure changed and I can agree there is just something about the wing you have to love.

btw IMO you can't imitate the wing sauce trying to make it at home [edit: at least we have failed]. My wife, the main cook, doesnt want to serve Buffalo wings even though she likes them when we go out at times, so I havent bought any in a long time. As I remember I bought some of the Anchor Bar sauce, but I bet you can buy others and be OK. In any case, if you like that flavor get some sauce.

edit: pretty sure this is what I got,

http://www.amazon.com/Teressas-Anchor-Bar-Sauce-Hotter-Gallon/dp/B001V6Q6OG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_gro_10
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 22nd, 2012 at 9:22:20 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
The standard wing sauce is Franks and butter. Very easy to make. I tend to marinated my wings in the sauce before cooking them, then adding extra on top, but most recipes suggest just cooking the wings first and topping with the sauce afterwards.

Wings were hardly used so were sold cheap, and enterprising bar owners served them as cheap snacks. Now they can cost over to $10 a pound. Crazy if you ask me, as much as I like them. Chicken legs and thighs are cheaper, and you can do good things with those as well for snack food during the game.

Chicken feet are super cheap as well, but I'll pass on those, thanks.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 22nd, 2012 at 9:25:30 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: TheCesspit
Chicken feet are super cheap as well, but I'll pass on those, thanks.

Bone, skin and maybe enough flesh to fill a thimble... I can't see any use for them other than landfill stuffing, or perhaps sausage.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 22nd, 2012 at 9:30:41 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Nareed
Bone, skin and maybe enough flesh to fill a thimble... I can't see any use for them other than landfill stuffing, or perhaps sausage.

http://panlasangpinoy.com/2009/03/14/spicy-chicken-feet/

To name but one recipe.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 22nd, 2012 at 9:37:02 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I'm sure curiosity will get the best of me and I'll look. But I stand by my statement.

That said, I've tried pig's feet once and I would never, ever do so again. I've never tried cow's feet, but I could any time I wished.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 2 of 2<12