The constraints of being a Curmudgeon on health and welfare.

July 24th, 2017 at 4:53:21 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin
I had same problem. Mice are cheap.
3.75 at the Sally, more than a keyboard costs there.
July 27th, 2017 at 9:49:11 AM permalink
Fleastiff
The Quacks want me to take statins. Statins do lower cholesterol but they generally pass thru the blood brain barrier and exert a cholesterol lowering effect in the brain. Anyone with a history of diabetes much less a history or a severe diabetic crisis already suffers from lowered cholesterol in the brain. Dietary fats and serum cholesterol levels do not affect brain cholesterol levels since its the brain that must manufacture its own cholesterol. Statins do not improve qualit of life nor do they extend life, they only "improve numbers' so that the patient dies with good numbers.

What is the sense of that? WHY do the quacks want me on statins? Are the quacks trying to kill me? Are they giving me a none to subtle hint?
July 27th, 2017 at 11:36:38 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
Are the quacks trying to kill me? Are they giving me a none to subtle hint?

Didn't you say you're morbidly obese?
Sounds like you are way ahead of them
in trying to kill you. Try losing a hundred
pounds, it will do wonders for your health.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 27th, 2017 at 11:59:19 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Statins make my joints ache. Brain needs cholesterol for every function. Unless the numbers are over a hundred above what is called for, just watch the direction the total is headed. Not all cholesterol is bad. Some good.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 27th, 2017 at 12:59:23 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Evenbob
Try losing a hundred pounds, it will do wonders for your health.
Gee what a marvelous notion, wonder why I never thought of that. /sarcasm.
July 27th, 2017 at 1:19:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
Gee what a marvelous notion, wonder why I never thought of that. /sarcasm.

How can you bitch about your health when
you undermine it at every meal. Old fat people
have an expiration date far sooner then people
of normal weight. Or hadn't you heard. You can
start losing on your very next meal, it's not very
hard.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 27th, 2017 at 4:45:40 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: stinkingliberal
For every tenet and practice of actual medicine, there's somebody on the internet saying that it all isn't real and that they have the actual miracle cure for whatever, which usually involves shoving a paintbrush up your butt and taking daily doses of the new miracle herbal remedy "Fantasticure," made from Himalayan mountain goat bladders and available NOW if you send $295 to this address. Free shipping!

There's a plethora of science supporting the use and effectiveness of antibiotics, including mundane stuff such as actual results. A LOT of people are alive today because of them. There's clinical evidence of some of the older antibiotics losing their effectiveness in the general population. That's because people do exactly what you described. People who don't finish the course of the antibiotics they are prescribed essentially create a colony of super-survivors of the pathogen--the 0.001% that's still alive after a few days of the antibiotic. That remaining population of the pathogen survives, and in strict Darwinian fashion, is--almost by definition--highly resistant to that antibiotic, so it goes on to infect someone else, and that person, taking the same antibiotic, can't get rid of it as easily.

CNN and BMJ announce: don't finish the antibiotics.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/27/health/antibiotics-course-advice-study/index.html
July 31st, 2017 at 8:11:14 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Its rainy, windy, the roads are all flooded, I don't want to drive ... why did the cat food have to run out today. I never checked the weather reports and now I'm in the middle of a major storm.
July 31st, 2017 at 10:45:42 AM permalink
Evenbob
Its rainy, windy, the roads are all flooded, I don't want to drive ... why did the cat food have to run out today. I never checked the weather reports and now I'm in the middle of a major storm.

I always have a months worth of pet
food in the pantry, that way this never
happens. It's what adults do.
July 31st, 2017 at 11:31:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
I always have a months worth of pet
food in the pantry, that way this never
happens. It's what adults do.

I've been stocking up on people food for emergency, just tool inventory. Enough soup for a month, lots of other items as well. People laugh at having a deep pantry, but it makes you prepped and easier to make food at home.
The President is a fink.