The constraints of being a Curmudgeon on health and welfare.

June 28th, 2018 at 2:45:53 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Fleastiff
Yes. Particularly if it is true.

Please remember that I was on a whole cocktail of drugs and constantly being a zombie with little difference between day and night and little difference and virtually zero sleep latency falling down all the time. It was only after I went OFF that doctor's recommended drugs that I stopped falling, and lead a more normal lifestyle. Perhaps I should have gone off the drugs separately but I did not and the doctor in trying to get me to go back on them may be recommending the one that was the primary cause of the "falling zombie' state I was in for several years.

As for years of medical training, its probably ancient history.

As for a dose of safeon being biochemically equivalent to a dose of imipramine, I can send you that citation if you would like.

As to the phytochemical profile of hibiscus tea or of anandamide, I can do the same. Ashwaghanda is great stuff and its phytochemical profile is interesting.

odious gambit just posted about buckhorn which is interesting but Sea Buckthorn from the pacific north west is much more beneficial.

Yep, you got it. Life expectancy is skyrocketting because you started drinking more hibiscus tea. I am sure quality of life has increased dramatically not because of pharmaceutical advances, but because of Ashwaghanda. Thanks for enlightening me.
June 28th, 2018 at 7:09:02 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: SOOPOO
Yep, you got it. Life expectancy is skyrocketting because you started drinking more hibiscus tea. I am sure quality of life has increased dramatically not because of pharmaceutical advances, but because of Ashwaghanda. Thanks for enlightening me.
I think that is far more an extreme position than I suggested Perhaps it merits a set of sarcasm tags, I don't know.

All I do know is the prescribed the drugs, I kept complaining, they never once suggested it might be a reaction to the drugs, kept me on them for years, never apologized, now want me to back on the same drugs, even want me to take a new formulation that will put me at the same nominal dose but a much higher bioavailable dose.

Do you really think that is logical or sensinle?
June 29th, 2018 at 4:22:11 AM permalink
SOOPOO
I think that is far more an extreme position than I suggested Perhaps it merits a set of sarcasm tags, I don't know.

All I do know is the prescribed the drugs, I kept complaining, they never once suggested it might be a reaction to the drugs, kept me on them for years, never apologized, now want me to back on the same drugs, even want me to take a new formulation that will put me at the same nominal dose but a much higher bioavailable dose.

Do you really think that is logical or sensinle?

I guess I don't know how to put on 'sarcasm tags'.

Almost all drugs have side effects that are not what you want. Probably why they are called side effects. If you had a doctor that prescribed you a medicine and he did not discuss the possible side effects with you then he is a bad doctor. But doctors prescribe a drug to treat a defined problem, and the plan is the benefit in tackling that problem exceeds the risk of the side effect. As you have found out, that is not always true. And if your doctor ignores your tales of woe then you need to find a different doctor. I have diabetes. I think I am still a work in progress. I try a new medicine, see how it makes me feel, what it does to my 'numbers', and then my doctor and I either keep the status quo or make adjustments. That is what a 'doctor-patient relationship' is supposed to be.
June 29th, 2018 at 7:28:24 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I don't know who's side to take here plus I don't want to tick off the other guy if I did

I will say I have run into certain doctors and heard tales of other doctors who seem to feel the good they can do amounts to being a good drug prescriber . When I have a new doctor I make a point of telling them I am on no drugs and want to keep it that way; if they don't seem to like that statement, I don't go back.

I am also aware of the huge effort the drug companies and reps make to influence doctors [I have a brother who is a doctor]

On the other hand I have little respect for much of 'alternative medicine' ... think of Steve Jobs - a guy who went for that instead of modern treatments for cancer - even refused surgery to remove a tumor.

OK, so I probably made both of you mad at me
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 29th, 2018 at 7:42:12 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: odiousgambit
I don't know who's side to take here plus I don't want to tick off the other guy if I did

I will say I have run into certain doctors and heard tales of other doctors who seem to feel the good they can do amounts to being a good drug prescriber . When I have a new doctor I make a point of telling them I am on no drugs and want to keep it that way; if they don't seem to like that statement, I don't go back.

I am also aware of the huge effort the drug companies and reps make to influence doctors [I have a brother who is a doctor]

On the other hand I have little respect for much of 'alternative medicine' ... think of Steve Jobs - a guy who went for that instead of modern treatments for cancer - even refused surgery to remove a tumor.

OK, so I probably made both of you mad at me

You didn't make me mad odiousgambit as you perfectly described by medical position and conversations with my doctor.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 29th, 2018 at 8:24:21 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: odiousgambit
It is not a matter of taking sides, it is a matter of marshalling what evidence you see on each side of issue and choosing to carefully weigh those facts without prejudice that is important.

>>>> When I have a new doctor I make a point of telling them
>>>>I am on no drugs and want to keep it that way;
A marvelous attitude to take.

>>>> I have little respect for much of 'alternative medicine'
I have little respect and much contempt for it.

>>>>OK, so I probably made both of you mad at me
While I am hesitant to speak for Dr. Soopoo, I do assume that he is impressed by your ability to see various aspects of an issue to arrive at a reasoned conclusion.

I do so hope that in consulting fellow physicians Dr. Soopoo is possessed of a reading knowledge of ancient Uzbek and is able to consider the advice of Abdullah, Servant of Allah and Commander of the Believers who would recommend kala jeera and bunium bulbocastanum.
June 29th, 2018 at 12:53:00 PM permalink
SOOPOO
I can assure all I am mad at no one because of statements made in this thread. I hate taking medicines myself. But while many of you think most doctors are in the pockets of big pharma, I think it is only a very low percentage that actually prescribe a drug because they are benefiting from it, not the patient.
June 29th, 2018 at 1:03:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO
But while many of you think most doctors are in the pockets of big pharma,

My doc has tried to switch my meds.
I have gout and have taken Allopurinol
for 20 years. It works great. 2 years ago
a new gout drug came out that was way
more expensive than the one I'm on, and
it couldn't work any better because this
one works fine.

He had no reason to switch me other than
he somehow benefited from it. I asked him
what his reasoning was, and he said less
side effects. I said what side effects, 20 years
and I've had none.

He does the same with antibiotics. Always
tries to give me the big one, the one made
by Bayer. It has a ton of side effects, one
of which is blindness. Bayer is constantly
paying off class action lawsuits on this drug,
yet it's still the most prescribed one in the
world.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 29th, 2018 at 2:29:17 PM permalink
Fleastiff
It is true that Allopurinol is an extremely low risk drug. Virtually no adverse reactions and almost impossible for you to take an overdose even with intent to do so. The switch might merely make his profile more attractive to some manufacturer since as his prescriptions go up so does his reputation with them.

Beware however that if you are ever Rx'd something like furosemide, a so-called water pill, your dosage of allopurinol must be increased for it to have the same effect on you.
June 29th, 2018 at 2:39:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Beware however that if you are ever Rx'd something like furosemide, a so-called water pill,

I take hydrochlorothiazide for a water pill.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.