The constraints of being a Curmudgeon on health and welfare.

July 25th, 2018 at 8:50:21 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
Postponing dental work all depends upon how happy you are with out teeth. Lose two or 3 at a time pretty soon your old and have no teeth. Lots of people rack up $10k dental bills for just a few teeth, $50k if you need them all replaced.

As I get older, I find myself brushing a lot more
I used to just brush in the morning and that's it
What teeth I have left I am really caring for
I now brush after eating anything. That means I brush several times a day.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 25th, 2018 at 12:24:14 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
As I get older, I find myself brushing a lot more
I used to just brush in the morning and that's it
What teeth I have left I am really caring for
I now brush after eating anything. That means I brush several times a day.

If you still have two teeth adjacent to each other floss as well......
July 25th, 2018 at 1:37:05 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
A dental hygienist suggested to me to not spit the toothpaste out right away, do something else for a minute or so [assuming it is fluoride toothpaste ... isn't it all?]. They value the soaking time when they do fluoride treatments at the office.

They say many, many kids today have no cavities. It's the fluoride toothpaste.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 25th, 2018 at 7:07:53 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
gonna go buy me a signal splitter for the Comcast line.
I've got the cable goint to the modem and a cable from a different jack going to the cable box but TV still won't work or load channels or respond to the remote properly.
July 25th, 2018 at 7:12:14 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
I've got the cable goint to the modem and a cable from a different jack going to the cable box but TV still won't work or load channels or respond to the remote properly.

Try to get half your signal going to the modem, and half going to the televisions. It's not easy to do sometimes as the wiring is in the walls. You must find the first splitter from your "point of entry" into the home.
July 26th, 2018 at 7:16:48 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Fleastiff

I have Spectrum and they just went all digital a couple days ago
Last week I was able to simply plug my cable into any TV and get channels
No more
Need the HD box
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 26th, 2018 at 7:53:39 AM permalink
Fleastiff
I got an hdmi cable going from one Comcast jack into my modem then I got a coax cable from another jack going into my cable box then a short coax segment from the cable box into the smart TV but can't get a channel line up picture fades keeps telling me to go to 'settings' but I don't know how to go to settings. I press ok on the remote and one out of twenty times something will happen. just as when I press power button on the remote one out of twenty times it goes either off or on.
July 26th, 2018 at 4:15:06 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

This is what I call a "jack", but obviously you can't plug an HDMI cable into this wall jack.

The statement "a short coax segment from the cable box into the smart TV" bothers me because you can't get a high definition TV signal via Coaxial cable.

Tell me the manufacturer and model type of all pieces of equipment in the house, and then see if you can identify the point of entry into the home.
July 27th, 2018 at 7:30:25 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Pacomartin

This is what I call a "jack", but obviously you can't plug an HDMI cable into this wall jack.
yes. That is a Comcast wall jack.
I tried to plug a splitter into it and failed. I now realize I should have put a short length of cable into the jack and then the splitter.
Splitter I had available was Splitter Pro 2way splitter BOS 102H from Extreme.
Directions said use coaxial cable but Assistance Desk guy said use black hdmi cable which I fairly easily inserted into the jack and twisted tight.
Other end of hdmi cable went to Xfinity Wireless Gateway.

Quote: Paco
The statement "a short coax segment from the cable box into the smart TV" bothers me because you can't get a high definition TV signal via Coaxial cable.
That troubled me too but again, this is from the Assitance Desk. By the way, the coaxial cable is white with lettering of PPC perfect 6 series 18 AWG CATUX. Goes from a different jack to cisco cable box's Cable In.

Short white coax cable goes from Cisco Cable Box's Cable Out to 49 inch HiSense smart tv 4k UHD DDR's TV-in.

I've checked online pricing and can fairly easily pick up short lengths of either coaxial cable or hdmi cable locally at hardware store next to my supermarket. So I could then use the splitter and only one jack.

I briefly had a yellow Ethernet cable connected from the WifiGatway to the CableBox's Ethernet port but Assistance Desk guy said I don't need any Ethernet cables if I'm using a private wifinetwork. So I'm not sure how signals get from my Gateway to my Modem box.

I could also use a very long Ethernet cable to connect my laptop directly to the TV but presently have only short Ethernet cables and do not really want to be physically tethered to the TV, only electronically tethered to it.
July 27th, 2018 at 10:23:03 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Pacomartin

Tell me the manufacturer and model type of all pieces of equipment in the house, and then see if you can identify the point of entry into the home.

Well that depends. ATSC supports 1080p, so it is up to the broadcaster, your cable company, and/or your cable box to decide if they are going to supply it to you over the coax. I don't think anyone in the US is broadcasting 1080p, so the max/best is 1080i.

If your cable box is supplying an NTSC signal over the coax to support older televisions, then yeah, that's going to be limited.

Just a quick look, one of my local broadcast stations is in 720p, another is in 1080i.

I believe most cable companies are suppling 720p for the bulk of their channels.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan