The constraints of being a Curmudgeon on health and welfare.

October 14th, 2018 at 11:34:03 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Raw carob bean with miscellaneous adjectives ... ain't no "tonic" at all.
Just woke up from my post prandial session of being nearly unconscious. Still ain't got much accomplished today but did indeed decide I loathe that tonic and won't be taking it anymore. Have had a breakfast of finishing off a plastic tub of huumus and have had my various tonics of awful carob and just now had turmeric/pepper milk and a half cup of orange juice w half cup of water. Nothing else today.

Just added things up:
Humuss 150 calories
milk 600 calories
oj 80 calories
carob 25 calories estimated.
tv dinner 270 calories

Awful taste. Might be worth it though.
October 15th, 2018 at 7:07:23 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
Awful taste. Might be worth it though.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/478382-health-benefits-of-kimchi/
Kimchi (Korean cabbage) is fairly high in sodium, but I find that eaten stand alone kills appetite fairly well.
October 15th, 2018 at 8:58:22 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Yes. Sometimes I think all things fermented are good. The same way a squirrel buries its acorns for a while and then eats them after they've 'turned good'.

There is a museum in Seoul that features 300 types of kimchi

Many of the fermented ingredients have more vitamins than before fermentation. I will give it a try again. I often prefer it as a condiment rather than a meal but I'm clearly desperate so thanks for reminding me about it.

400 calories of mandarin oranges today but mainly to avoid their spoiling. (Darn near sliced a finger as well as the mandarin).
October 16th, 2018 at 10:54:21 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I once had access to home-made Kimchi with oysters in it, somebody opened a korean grocery and had someone making it ... sold it for less than it was worth for sure... ah, the good ol' days ...
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 16th, 2018 at 12:40:27 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Yeah. I fondly recall a fish broker's free appetizers on Friday nights. Wonderful stuff until the IRS seized his place.
I knew one deli owner who would put out a giant box of mushrooms from the PNW. could have sold them for a fortune.
Order a sandwich in that place and you could not say 'mustard', he had six different mustards in trays for the sandwiches and lots more for sale.
One start up oriental restaurant would always bring me and a guest another item that we had not ordered but would never charge forit.
October 26th, 2018 at 6:32:01 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Pacomartin
Kimchi (Korean cabbage) is fairly high in sodium, but I find that eaten stand alone kills appetite fairly well.

I finally remembered to buy the Kimchi and had a plate of it this morning. I'll see if it staves off hunger or not.

It comes in an orangey liquid (brine?) does one consume that also or discard it?
October 26th, 2018 at 7:52:33 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I finally remembered to buy the Kimchi and had a plate of it this morning. I'll see if it staves off hunger or not.

It comes in an orangey liquid (brine?) does one consume that also or discard it?

I don't drain it, but don't drink it either. Could have a laxative effect like sauerkraut juice does. I drain sauerkraut but don't rinse it.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 26th, 2018 at 7:59:54 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

My Mom used to make it back in the day. The Veggies were very tasty, great flavor. I dont remember drinking anything.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 26th, 2018 at 9:22:04 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: odiousgambit
I don't drain it, but don't drink it either. Could have a laxative effect like sauerkraut juice does. I drain sauerkraut but don't rinse it.

Okay. That is the way I will continue taking it. It didn't end the postprandial somnolence but I need to find something that when I wake up I'm not ravenous again
October 27th, 2018 at 9:08:04 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Bought another jar of kimci since it seems to indeed have an appetite suppressant effect.