The constraints of being a Curmudgeon on health and welfare.

May 12th, 2016 at 2:26:54 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Evenbob
Do you really think Martha Stewart was fighting off gangs all the time?
Of course not. The warden knows what headlines it would be if her nail polish got dirty. Now, in my case, ain't no one gonna write main page features about my having to keep my dukes up.
June 4th, 2016 at 3:21:16 PM permalink
Fleastiff
The trouble with being a pauper is that my naked young female chef is imaginary and that my naked young female maid is imaginary, and now it seems my naked young female electronics hobbyist is going to have to be imaginary also. Dabbling into Rasberry Pi and Arduino and soldering irons is just too much for me because it seems digital signal processing in real time is beyond my ken and well beyond my less than nimble fingers.

Lots of stuff has proven effective in combatting atrial fibrillation, but without real time monitoring how am I ever going to evaluate: hydrogenated water, bilberry juice, bilberry ale, tumeric tea, fermented tumeric, nano-particle tumeric, vitamin D, etc.

Even used equipment goes for twenty grand.
July 2nd, 2016 at 9:03:36 AM permalink
Fleastiff
I tells you, poverty sucks.

We are supposed to have consumer items with artificial intellilgence built into them. So where are they? These items seem to be as invisible as the naked sweet young things that go around here cooking and cleaning for me.

I happened to wake up early, so I fed the cat, fed the feral cats, fed myself some oatmeal-like stuff from a plain brown wrapper (always afraid of those) and then I went back to bed and nestled in for some sleep...yet not five minutes later the darned alarm clock went off with its wake-the-dead klaxon. Where is its intelligence?

Big Sale comingup on July 12th on Amazon. Should I wait? Will I remember the sale on July 12th? I didn't remember the 24 Jet Blue sale.

Elixir of Turmeric for atrial fibrillation? Maybe I should just try Elixir of Cat Food?
July 9th, 2016 at 7:55:51 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Worst thing is the lack of decent timer... all I got is this lousy Chinese twist timer that ticks but as it reaches zero it never really goes off, it just stops so I get no alarm. Now this affects taking pills and sleeping without missing the start of a desired TV program and stuff like that.
September 23rd, 2016 at 1:44:32 PM permalink
Fleastiff
I bought this Wake The Dead Klaxon alarm clock... slept thru the loud klaxon for 24 minutes, hit the snooze and finally got up at 36 minutes after it initially went off.
This is Garbage Dawn so its important that I get the empty beer cans out there or else they can go whizzing by. On the way back, I heard the alarm unsnoozing itself when I was twenty feet away. Its loud, yet I slept thru it.
September 23rd, 2016 at 1:53:06 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Darn it. Wondered why a health drink put be so out of whack and re-ignited my gout.
So I read this tiny type label on a curved bottle and see 'agave syrup'...which means ultra high fructose and often a giant pulse of uric acid production sufficient to set off a gout flareup. We need labels for old codgers on our products. LARGE TYPE.

On edit: Oh no..... not another transient power failure. Just long enough to lose the computer, set off the burglar alarm and make me have to go around re-setting all the clocks.
September 25th, 2016 at 4:25:58 PM permalink
Fleastiff
The BEST MEDICINE:

Getting drunk in the middle of the day... for FREE.

Free cider tasting, free beer tasting then free wine tasting. I did all three and did each of them three times.

Then I went to "The Library" (Barnes and Noble) where I met a woman who bought me lunch and then we went round the corner to a cocktail bar and talked as she kept all the drinks on her tab. Florida has advantages: the women buy the men drinks.

I did my bit for young adventurerers doing their GAP YEAR in Scandinavia. They are the ones who harvest the Bilberry and I just bought half a dozen six packs of Bilberry Ale to support the industry.
October 10th, 2016 at 8:22:22 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Sleep and the elderly. We don't need as much sleep... but we don't get enough of it either.

Okay folks, WHY is it that I can not afford a better system?

I know I can simply unplug the under-mattress vibrator and I will not receive any alarms that arouse me from sleep but surely if I were rich there would be a better way to have my computer discriminate between Priority Alarm messages, particularly those that originate from a remote time zone?
October 26th, 2016 at 2:51:07 PM permalink
Fleastiff
calories:
Eight hard boiled eggs at 80 calories each
About five teaspoons of mayonaise at 31 calories each.
About ten slices of whole wheat bread at ???? calories per slice:

What is it?
November 2nd, 2016 at 5:10:47 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Oh,, my memory. my memory.
Wherever did I put my memory?

The first time the quacks yammered at me about insulin, I immediately went out and bought B6 capsules and started taking 300 to 600 percent RDA per day. I mean I'm going to give any remaining islets of Langerhans cells a break, right?

Its not as if I'm a medical student where the three main rules are Never Pass Up a chance to eat, Never pass up a chance to sleep and Never touch the Pancreas.
I'll touch the pancreas via Vitamin B6 and particularly via B6, CoQ and sulphur. The function of all pancreata is to protect the islets of Langerhans.

The real problem, as always, is in the kidney.
Sleep Apnea is a disease of the kidney.
Diabetes is a disease of the kidney.
Dandruff is a disease of the kidney.
Inflamation is a disease of the kidney.
All diseases associated with aging are diseases of the kidney.

Hydrogen sulphide plays a vital role in the Kidneys, particularly as oxygen sensor and as far as I know a prolonged deficiency of B6, B12 and dietary sulphur would really screw up Kidneys and Pancreas. And it would do it via wrecking the proper levels of hydrogen sulphide, a major smooth muscle relaxer.
Darn it all.... whats the pathway in the Pancreas that protects the islet cells. The entire purpose of the Pancreas is to protect the islets cells. Where is my memory?
Why does my memory lead me too so many dead ends these days? Why can't quacks order vitamin tests?

Nurse Practitioners average 103 grand but here in Florida they make considerably more. Yet based on the quality of care I receive, if I were the Medical Czar I'd give her the world's most expensive cigar (blindfold be pretty nifty too). Instead of feeling sorry when she has to go to the ER for her migraine headaches, I take a secret pleasure in knowing their cause and cure but not telling her.