The constraints of being a Curmudgeon on health and welfare.

November 10th, 2016 at 2:10:23 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Weight.

Okay, I've learned not to be so trusting of Mr. Pew's dietary advice. I've followed other posters advice particularly regarding salads and nuts and aloe vera juice and the like. I've followed Nareeed's recipes but had to simplify them all...yet after all those salads and 'days off' and diet shakes that taste like chalk..I've gained, not lost, weight.

Dieting..... and gaining weight. This has to stop.
November 10th, 2016 at 3:26:55 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
Weight.

Okay, I've learned not to be so trusting of Mr. Pew's dietary advice. I've followed other posters advice particularly regarding salads and nuts and aloe vera juice and the like. I've followed Nareeed's recipes but had to simplify them all...yet after all those salads and 'days off' and diet shakes that taste like chalk..I've gained, not lost, weight.

Dieting..... and gaining weight. This has to stop.
I sort of have the reverse going on. If I can't start gaining weight soon, I'm afraid I may have to let them install a feeding tube. I am placed on a "nectar consistency" diet, and I aspirate on plain water. Catch 22 from Hell.

I was eating coconut oil strait out of the jar for quality fats and calories and losing weight. So I ate more, and again dropped more weight. I went to an alternative health clinic and the guy says, click on coconut oil diet. So I did, and wow, there are hundreds of diets telling people to eat the oil to lose weight. Sheesh. So I quit the oil for awhile. I got some almond oil and have been eating some of that, 50/50 with honey, and smoothies. Diets a bitch.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 10th, 2016 at 10:11:05 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: petroglyph
I sort of have the reverse going on. If I can't start gaining weight soon, I'm afraid I may have to let them install a feeding tube. I am placed on a "nectar consistency" diet, and I aspirate on plain water. Catch 22 from Hell.

How very appropriate that you post this on Zebra Day, a day to bring publicity to NET Cancer. See about an Intestinal Carcinoid.
November 15th, 2016 at 10:32:12 AM permalink
Fleastiff
I gave up waiting for that sixteen year old with the neckline that plunges all the way down to her navel to clean up this pig sty and started sorting a few of the papers that are in towering lopsided piles. what do you know? I found my Simplified Basic Strategy cheat sheet that I had printed out in the good ole days when I had a printer. Gonna set it aside and memorize it. Meanwhile I still got to figure out if I should boost Akkermensia mucinphila via a high fiber diet or supplements to cut down on the gluclose link between teh immune system and the gut?

I need a secretary. Can't afford one.

on edit: I don't know what song it was; I don't think I liked it but it was the first thing that I thought of: "I'm Tired of Waking Up on the Floor".
November 22nd, 2016 at 4:47:45 PM permalink
Fleastiff
OH No..........

Been taking Aloe Vera juice for weight loss and for treatment of atrial fibrillation.

Now I find out WalMart's Aloe Vera Juice ain't got no aloe vera in it. Zilch.
November 22nd, 2016 at 6:15:01 PM permalink
petroglyph
OH No..........

Been taking Aloe Vera juice for weight loss and for treatment of atrial fibrillation.

Now I find out WalMart's Aloe Vera Juice ain't got no aloe vera in it. Zilch.
The Aloe Vera juice I'm buying from WM is made by "Fruit of the Earth"in Texas, claims it is 99.8 pure Aloe? What up?
November 22nd, 2016 at 7:12:17 PM permalink
Fleastiff
The Aloe Vera juice I'm buying from WM is made by "Fruit of the Earth"in Texas,
Same here. Same as at ALL Walmarts in USA.

claims it is 99.8 pure Aloe?
NO. It does not. It claims its Aloe is 99.8 percent pure. BIG difference.

My mattress alarm went off a few minutes ago (30 second vibration along with 30 second klaxon) with an update on this. I'll try to digest it and then edit this post.

NOTE: CVS and Target had similarly disappointing results.
November 22nd, 2016 at 7:16:34 PM permalink
petroglyph
S NO. It does not. It claims its Aloe is 99.8 percent pure. BIG difference.
Oh, for Christ's sake, I got to be a friggin lawyer to read a food label. It was hard to understand how they could be putting out almost a gallon for seven bucks. Assholes.

added ; I just pulled my jug and the ingredients say, Aloe Vera and water. Several places say it contains 99.8% ;ure aloe, I agree in what you said there is a big difference, but right now I'm not seeing it>
November 22nd, 2016 at 7:34:47 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Bloomberg financial is source but has not been using restraint in its headlines.

First: there is a big difference between "the aloe that this jug contains is 99.8 percent pure" and "this jug is 98.9 percent pure aloe".

Second: The tests were on Aloe GEL products from the same company that makes the juice from a product made in Guatemala and imported by an Orlando company.

Walgreens did better in the test than the other companies, but the headline was far greater in scope than the actual tests or the test results.

So the final situation as of now is that the HEADLINE said juices had been tested but the story itself mentions only gels having been tested.

However the same companies and products are involved, just different additives and processeses to make a juice or to make a gel.

Scientists are arguing with each other over how sensitive the testing is at low levels. Stand by for more.

I'm still going to drink teh stuff. Just not as confidently. I now know why many people get the leaves and process it themselves rather than trust major suppliers.
November 23rd, 2016 at 12:14:43 AM permalink
Fleastiff
As I see it:
Product X starts in Guatemala.
It is imported by Orlando Company.
Orlando Company ships it to various companies that can turn it into a juice, a drink or a gel. All without governmental oversight.
One of those various companies is Fruit of the Earth in Texas.
They take the product and turn it into a gel for various consumer products.
They also take the product and turn it into a Juice.
When their gels are tested there is no aloe vera present.
So I don't see how there could be aloe vera present when as and if the Juice is to be tested, since both gels and juices come from Product X from Guatemala via Orlando.

Conclusion: consumers getting screwed or test is invalid.