Burt sells the Trans

Page 1 of 212>
April 13th, 2015 at 10:35:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/04/09/burt-reynolds-177-bandit-trans-am-to-sell-at-carlisle-auctions/

Not sure what this will sell for?

I'm guessing it missed its peak value years as the car in a movie.

Random related -- any particular car in a movie you'd like to own?

The Trans Am expert in the article seems to think it will do well.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 13th, 2015 at 11:45:48 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I'm more of a clone guy myself. That car, or the General Lee, or just a sweet original like a '71 Hemi would be the cat's ass to own, but I'd be so neurotic about it it could only ever live in a climate controlled safe area. Between the pot holes and rain and wayward shopping carts, you just can't take them outside.

Now just doing up a normal TA with the paint and decals? Hell yes. That would be fun. I don't dig trailer queens. I want to drive the sumbitch. And if/when I finally get my dream 'Cuda, ain't a number gonna match on it. I don't care about "value". I want it cheap, because I am going to flog the balls right off it =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 14th, 2015 at 3:16:35 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/04/09/burt-reynolds-177-bandit-trans-am-to-sell-at-carlisle-auctions/

Not sure what this will sell for?

I'm guessing it missed its peak value years as the car in a movie.

The Trans Am expert in the article seems to think it will do well.

The problem is it is not the movie car, it is a car owned by the star of the movie. IIRC there were just two for the movie one of which was destroyed in the bridge jump and the other was presumably beat to hell in the rest of the stunt work. The person who buys it is just buying Jon Voights' car. True this T/A was the dream car for all kids of the 1970s, but the reality is they were not very good cars and today's subcompacts will outrun it handily.

If you stretch movie car to TV I would like Boss Hogg's 1970 DeVille convertible or one like it. If I must do movies then hard to say. I would almost certainly want a convertible though would settle for the Challenger from "Vanishing Point." I used to be a total motorhead with loads of dream cars. Not so much anymore. I've seen how much time and money the hobby takes up. I would still like to rebuild an engine to see it run, but just to see something I built run. Once I wanted to rebuild an entire old car, engine and all. Now I would just rebuild a 440-six pack and sell it to Face for a fair price, say I did that, and find another challenge.
The President is a fink.
April 14th, 2015 at 5:38:19 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
The "Bandit" license plate from that movie went on eBay about a year ago. I wrote about about it in a post. However, my bid was not that high because I was suspicious the movie makers made several sets of them, as they did go through several black Trans Ams. In the end, I didn't win.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 14th, 2015 at 6:15:35 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Wizard
The "Bandit" license plate from that movie went on eBay about a year ago. I wrote about about it in a post. However, my bid was not that high because I was suspicious the movie makers made several sets of them, as they did go through several black Trans Ams. In the end, I didn't win.

If you watch carefully in the scene where he jumps the bridge there is no plate at all on the car. Probably a movie goof as back then studios seem to have given the audience less credit that they do now (mostly) what with rabid fans taking a film apart frame by frame seeing every detail.

Has anyone seen the BAN-ONE plate on the car in the movie? Been awhile but I can't remember it being on the car on camera.
The President is a fink.
April 14th, 2015 at 7:02:00 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine

Isn't it obvious? The De Lorean in Back to the Future. Not so much for the car, but the time machine in it. I could find a use for that :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 14th, 2015 at 1:06:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
BR is an idiot. He started out in TV, and then
became a big movie star. As his career fizzled
he could have gotten back on TV and might
have been on hit show where he would collect
residuals for the rest of his life. But his ego
told him he was too big for that, so now he's
about broke and too old and ugly to ever
work again. Genius..

He went bankrupt in the 90's and is about there
again. Hasn't made a house payment in 4 years.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 14th, 2015 at 1:44:54 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
BR is an idiot. He started out in TV, and then
became a big movie star. As his career fizzled
he could have gotten back on TV and might
have been on hit show where he would collect
residuals for the rest of his life. But his ego
told him he was too big for that, so now he's
about broke and too old and ugly to ever
work again. Genius..

He went bankrupt in the 90's and is about there
again. Hasn't made a house payment in 4 years.

Wasn't he on some TV show in the late 1980s or early 1990s? I forget exactly and never watched but I remember seeing him in commercials because he was often wearing a Steelers shirt of some kind.
The President is a fink.
April 14th, 2015 at 3:42:24 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I would love to own the Batmobile.

Others I would be happy to see on my driveway:

The 68 or 69 Camaro from "Better Off Dead"
The 71 Chevelle SS from "Faster"
The 70 Chevelle SS from "Jack Reacher"
The heavily modified 73 Ford XB GT Falcon Coupe from "Mad Max"

While not in a movie, I'd also like to have Speed Racer's Mach 5

Strike The Pose!
April 14th, 2015 at 4:42:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Well, I guess I better lay claim to the "day off" ride, before someone else mentions it. Complete with valets.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 1 of 212>