Hockey Talk

Page 1 of 51234>Last »
April 16th, 2015 at 4:02:12 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Damnable migraine caused me to lose a day. Didn't realize the playoffs had started until about 10p EDST.

From what (little) I seen, so far, so good. MON starts off with a win. CAL eeks one out over VAN (how in the hell did VAN not clear the zone in those last two minutes?!) And what a comeback by CHI, no? Weren't they down 3-0? Comeback and win it in the 2OT.

Reckon I'll be locked to NYR / PIT today. I want to make sure I'm there and watching when Cindy takes the digger that ends his career =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 16th, 2015 at 4:18:10 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I started out by watching the end of the OTT MTL game. I had just read that one of MTL's better players was ejected for slashing. OTT came out slightly ahead on the major penalty, scoring twice, but giving up one goal to shorthanded MTL. Disappointing. They ended up losing 4-3.

After watching an episode of The Big Bang Theory, I started watching the 2nd CBC game. I'm pretty sure I was asleep before the end of the 1st period, and remember nothing about the game.

Tonight, I'm deciding whether or not to watch the CBC game, or listen to the Red Wings on the radio.

I suppose I could look for a streaming source.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 16th, 2015 at 4:22:07 PM permalink
Calder
Threads: 0
The Preds are killing me. Chicago was a good first round draw, with a rusty Kane and an out-of-sorts Corey Crawford, but couldn't seal the deal. Just too much playoff experience on the Blackhawks roster, I fear.

And to add injury to insult, Mike Fisher was hurt.
April 16th, 2015 at 6:19:37 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Dalex64
I started out by watching the end of the OTT MTL game. I had just read that one of MTL's better players was ejected for slashing. OTT came out slightly ahead on the major penalty, scoring twice, but giving up one goal to shorthanded MTL. Disappointing. They ended up losing 4-3.

For slashing one of Ottawa's better players. Looked like a cheap move to me.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 17th, 2015 at 12:09:50 PM permalink
Face
Quote: TheCesspit
For slashing one of Ottawa's better players. Looked like a cheap move to me.

That was a horses#$% call. And now I get to practice my rulings...

It was absolutely a slash, no doubt. What's #$%^ed is the rule book. It states that a Major may be issued based on severity, and must be issued in the event of an injury. It also states that should a Major be issued, a Game Misconduct is mandatory.

How many million times have you seen someone get slashed and hurt and the offender goes off for two? It happens, well, about as often as "holding" happens in the NFL. Chop an ankle, break a finger, there's a scrum, you go off for two. The only time, the only time, you see a slash rise to a Misconduct level is when the stick is used as a bat and swung with force with the intention to injure. McSorely's famous strike on Brashear, or more recently, Kessel's hack at tough guy Jon Scott. These men swung like axes with the intent to injure.

PK did not. He looked, locked on target, and swung what was by all means a slash. But he wasn't even looking at the player when contact was made. The swing was all arms; he didn't drive hips or shoulders into the swing. What happened, because I've been the deliverer and recipient a number of times, is he got that 1.5" patch between elbow pads and gloves and whacked the guy right on the bare wrist, which hurts like a motherf$%^er. Hit the pad and that strike would have been enough to get one's attention with no pain inflicted whatsoever, which, as a defender, is what you're supposed to do. Make him pay attention and worry about you so he misses the puck. He happened to hit him in the soft spot, which whether he did or didn't was still a penalty. But an ejection? An ejection where the guy carried right on playing? In the bleeding Stanley Cup Playoffs?

Terrible call.
April 17th, 2015 at 12:42:56 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Stone tried to keep on playing, and now is out for the next few games... he probably tried to keep playing because it's the Stanley bleeding Cup playoffs.

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/nhl/senators-extra/subban-wont-face-suspension

I'm not bothered if he's suspended or not, mind. I am never too bothered if players do something dumb and dangerous, and gets ejected or penalized. Don't like the penalty, as it's too harsh? Don't be a dumb arse and throw your stick around of the puck.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 17th, 2015 at 12:44:18 PM permalink
TheCesspit
In other news, how about those Wings... outshot 44-14, won the game 3-2... first team to win being outshot by 30 in the playoffs for donkey's years.

(This bodes badly for the rest of the series, to be honest... Tampa will probably take it in 5).
April 17th, 2015 at 12:54:53 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Stone is not out for a few games and I am sure will play tonight. The coach says he will play if cleared by staff tonight. It is all a game to cover up the dive he took. Face is absolutely right 2 minutes for slashing end of story. I would have given Stone a diving call for his performance.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 17th, 2015 at 12:57:41 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: kenarman
Stone is not out for a few games and I am sure will play tonight. The coach says he will play if cleared by staff tonight. It is all a game to cover up the dive he took. Face is absolutely right 2 minutes for slashing end of story. I would have given Stone a diving call for his performance.

Last I'd heard he was out for the series... now he's potential for tonight... fair point.
April 17th, 2015 at 1:10:18 PM permalink
Face
I get what you're saying about "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime". But forget it's their star player, forget that it's the Cup Playoffs. When's the last time you saw someone ejected for a penalty, and what were the circumstances? I honestly don't follow hockey all that intently, but I remember tosses I've seen before. Every one was egregious, like Kessel's hack on Scott. You see intent, malice, purpose, it's not a question that Kessel's was more "assault" than "infraction". PK was stupid, you never chop wood. It's an instant penalty, and you can hack just as good from a more inconspicuous angle. But I see nothing whatsoever that brings that to even the level of a double-minor. It was a hack that caught him between the pads, a hack that happens every single time a winger is in that position. He wasn't even looking at him when he connected! If that's a misconduct, then I'm Doug Bodger.

Looks like Niel will replace Stone if he remains out. This series is going to be amazing =D
Page 1 of 51234>Last »