Hockey Talk

Page 2 of 5<12345>
April 17th, 2015 at 1:23:15 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I guess I've seen ejections in the Juniors a fair amount. But your right, not seen something like that as an ejection before.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 17th, 2015 at 2:23:40 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: TheCesspit
In other news, how about those Wings... outshot 44-14, won the game 3-2... first team to win being outshot by 30 in the playoffs for donkey's years.

(This bodes badly for the rest of the series, to be honest... Tampa will probably take it in 5).

Those sorts of things, it seems to me, are usually or used to be reversed on the wings. A ton of shots, no goals.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 17th, 2015 at 3:53:02 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Face
That was a horses#$% call. And now I get to practice my rulings...

It was absolutely a slash, no doubt. What's #$%^ed is the rule book. It states that a Major may be issued based on severity, and must be issued in the event of an injury. It also states that should a Major be issued, a Game Misconduct is mandatory.

How many million times have you seen someone get slashed and hurt and the offender goes off for two? It happens, well, about as often as "holding" happens in the NFL. Chop an ankle, break a finger, there's a scrum, you go off for two. The only time, the only time, you see a slash rise to a Misconduct level is when the stick is used as a bat and swung with force with the intention to injure. McSorely's famous strike on Brashear, or more recently, Kessel's hack at tough guy Jon Scott. These men swung like axes with the intent to injure.

PK did not. He looked, locked on target, and swung what was by all means a slash. But he wasn't even looking at the player when contact was made. The swing was all arms; he didn't drive hips or shoulders into the swing. What happened, because I've been the deliverer and recipient a number of times, is he got that 1.5" patch between elbow pads and gloves and whacked the guy right on the bare wrist, which hurts like a motherf$%^er. Hit the pad and that strike would have been enough to get one's attention with no pain inflicted whatsoever, which, as a defender, is what you're supposed to do. Make him pay attention and worry about you so he misses the puck. He happened to hit him in the soft spot, which whether he did or didn't was still a penalty. But an ejection? An ejection where the guy carried right on playing? In the bleeding Stanley Cup Playoffs?

Terrible call.

I don't think the call was all that bad. I've played enough hockey to know that there is worse, but you shouldn't be stupid enough to swing the stick like that. Hockey's a tough sport, but that kind of play is always horsecrap in my book. The way he swung, in spite of him not putting his whole body into it, was negligent. Five and a game. Probably not a suspension, in my book.
April 17th, 2015 at 3:54:24 PM permalink
RonC
Quote: TheCesspit
I guess I've seen ejections in the Juniors a fair amount. But your right, not seen something like that as an ejection before.

When the stick becomes a weapon, I'd like to see more fives and a toss. Hit hard. Work hard. Use the stick as a means to help but not as weapon.
April 17th, 2015 at 3:58:57 PM permalink
RonC
“The ref made the right call. When you see a player down on the ice rolling around like that, there’s one call to be made. He made the right call. If I was in that position, I’d probably do the same thing,” admitted Subban, who was ejected at the 8:23 mark of the second period after laying a two-handed slash across Stone’s right wrist as the right-winger attempted to establish body position in front of the Canadiens’ goal. “I paid the price for taking that penalty. The right decisions were made on the ice. Obviously, I don’t want to be out five minutes and I don’t want to be out of the game. But, when a player is hurt like that, that’s what happens.”

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=763696

I wasn't actually looking for that...I was trying to find out where Jared Tinordi was playing these days; I am hoping he soon breaks out of the minors for good. He played defense on a team I coached when he was about 7. It is fun to see him playing when he has the Canadiens sweater on!
April 17th, 2015 at 4:31:37 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: RonC
When the stick becomes a weapon, I'd like to see more fives and a toss. Hit hard. Work hard. Use the stick as a means to help but not as weapon.

If we can't use the stick as a weapon, I'd have to quit smoking and actually play. F#$% that. You're killing me, RonC ;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 17th, 2015 at 5:21:02 PM permalink
RonC
Quote: Face
If we can't use the stick as a weapon, I'd have to quit smoking and actually play. F#$% that. You're killing me, RonC ;)

Hey, Face...there is a difference between a "weapon" and a "tool"...I'm all for using every necessary undetected means to hinder the progress of a faster opponent (or one that just got a step on me (that would be pretty much everyone) just not spearing, butt-ending, and attempts at criminal behavior!

Do you you referee at all? That was a great way to get paid to skate...perhaps the best besides the $500 I made skating and working the Portland Pirates summer camp in 2003 or so...
April 17th, 2015 at 6:33:08 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I don't, but am signing up this Fall. I was going to do it last year, but missed the cutoff date, and apparently they only open it once a year and don't do mid-season apps.

Paid to skate? Pfft. Best money ever =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 17th, 2015 at 7:22:16 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
It was pure embelishment by Stone followed up by the front office trying to get a suspension for PK. Stone played 18 minutes and had 2 assists tonight. You don't do that with a damaged wrist.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 18th, 2015 at 2:48:53 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: kenarman
It was pure embelishment by Stone followed up by the front office trying to get a suspension for PK. Stone played 18 minutes and had 2 assists tonight. You don't do that with a damaged wrist.

If the stick isn't swung like you are chopping down a tree, it wouldn't have mattered as much. I know Face argues about the amount of force of the blow, but the player was injured and left the ice.

Major Penalty
- A major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee
based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player
who slashes an opponent. When injury occurs, a major penalty must
be assessed under this rule

Interestingly, the NHL rulebook does not appear to have a double minor option for slashing...
Page 2 of 5<12345>