What do you do about bombs?

Page 1 of 212>
April 18th, 2015 at 12:54:11 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Another headline "33 killed". Happens all the time. The numbers and places change.

Bombs are the equalizer between the masses and the much fewer extremists.

If you have 50 people against you, killing a large number certainly puts you in a better position over time if you can do it enough.

Is it something to be concerned about, or is there really overall parity?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 18th, 2015 at 2:56:57 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Weapon of mass destruction or mass disruption?
How about a gas leak? Someone is going to come along and ring a doorbell or have an alarm clock go off....if 50 people die do you feel the same about it and 50 killed so someone could get their "Ex".
The masses mean nothing as long as the blasts happen somewhere else. Remember: A dogfight in Brooklyn is more important to the masses than civil war in China.
April 18th, 2015 at 4:54:34 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
People are going to kill people no matter what you do. I don't live my life worrying about bombs. Despite what you see, it is not as easy to make a good bomb people think. Then when you make it right you have to deliver it. Delivery must be at a time and place to cause major damage. Each of these areas is a potential failure point.

To use a bomb in more traditional combat is even harder. While a terror bomb can just have a literal or figurative nice long fuse, in combat the bomb must have detonation timed to the second.

Worry? Nope.
The President is a fink.
April 18th, 2015 at 9:58:10 AM permalink
rxwine
I wasn't so much interested from the terror sense, as a method to tip demographics in the favor of the bombers.
30-1
30-1
30-1
and so forth.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 18th, 2015 at 10:37:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
I wasn't so much interested from the terror sense, as a method to tip demographics in the favor of the bombers.
30-1
30-1
30-1
and so forth.

I don't quite get what you are asking. 30-1 on what? My chances of ever being in a bombing?

FWIW I have been in at least 6 bomb-threat evacuations, none was serious.
The President is a fink.
April 18th, 2015 at 11:22:59 AM permalink
rxwine
Hah. Sorry.

I was referencing 1 person dies to 30 dying on the other side. That's how you might skew the political landscape in a country.

Do extremists need to kill everyone to affect the demographic of the politics? Probably not.
April 18th, 2015 at 1:36:12 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Hah. Sorry.

I was referencing 1 person dies to 30 dying on the other side. That's how you might skew the political landscape in a country.

Do extremists need to kill everyone to affect the demographic of the politics? Probably not.

Well, again, bombs are hard. The only two big ones I can think that killed more than just a few people and had a big effect are Oklahoma City and the Marine Barracks in Beirut. So a bombing is not easy if you are not a nation state.

Next thing is, many bombings kill the bomb maker or delivery person. If not killed, they often get caught and taken out of play. Then it must be remembered that materials to make bombs are not available on every corner store. The less human intervention to deliver it the harder the materials will be to get.

But terrorism and even conventional battle is not about logic. In 2015 USA all you would need to do is kill 50 people randomly in one instance and 40% of the population would be begging to have their freedoms taken away so they could "feel safe." Maybe 1 in 5 would call it a random event not worth being so worried about, but we would be shouted down.

Kill 50 in Times Square on NYE then another 50 at the Superbowl a month later, not even at the game, in the festivities before, and they cry to "DO SOMETHING" would be deafening. By the 4th of July you would potentially have "checkpoints" everywhere, parades being canceled, and the lot.

Bombs work, but they are hard.
The President is a fink.
April 18th, 2015 at 4:09:24 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
747's worked well as bombs and it only took one day of them to change the face of the USA.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 18th, 2015 at 7:43:22 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: kenarman
747's worked well as bombs and it only took one day of them to change the face of the USA.

Was any one of the planes a 747?

They were used more as missiles than bombs as well.
The President is a fink.
April 18th, 2015 at 8:46:20 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
The two that hit the WTC were 767's the other two were 757's. I was being lazy with my first post. I guess they were actually manned missles.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
Page 1 of 212>