What's on your reading/listening list?

Page 2 of 13<12345>Last »
June 11th, 2015 at 7:53:38 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I'm under an hour away from finishing the lectures on the Industrial Revolution. The cool thing in this course was the presentation of other industries besides the usual ones (textiles, coal and steel) driving industrialization. The lecturer goes into things like pottery, woodworking, and most important transportation. The course also covers the XX and a tiny bit of the XXI centuries.

I've no idea what I'll get next. Maybe I'll give Audible a break while I try to catch up with many podcasts.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 15th, 2015 at 6:00:22 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Love Michael Connelly, terapined! Read 'em all several times. Have you read his several collections published as ebooks only? Think there are at least 3 books of 3 shorts each; very worthwhile.

Everybody counts. Or nobody counts. I might come back as Eleanor Wish in my next life, though hers was a very rough road.

Currently reading all of Jojo Moyes; on my 3rd one. I'm not a romance reader ordinarily, but these are not ordinary stories, either how they're written or the stories they tell. Highly recommend.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
June 15th, 2015 at 9:14:06 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: beachbumbabs
Love Michael Connelly, terapined! Read 'em all several times. Have you read his several collections published as ebooks only? Think there are at least 3 books of 3 shorts each; very worthwhile.

Everybody counts. Or nobody counts. I might come back as Eleanor Wish in my next life, though hers was a very rough road.

Currently reading all of Jojo Moyes; on my 3rd one. I'm not a romance reader ordinarily, but these are not ordinary stories, either how they're written or the stories they tell. Highly recommend.

Just finished Gods of Guilt last week.
Pretty good. Connelly originally wrote a pretty violent ending with a shootout in a courtroom.
He then changed the ending.
This particular book, he included the alternate violent ending as a bonus chapter :-)

Just loaded an interesting book onto my kindle that I have not gotten to read yet.
Red Eye - Patrick Kenzie vs Harry Bosch - Dennis Lehane vs Michael Connelly.

Interesting concept, 2 writers getting together to write a short book regarding their most famous charachters getting together for a case.
This is part of the Faceoff anthology serries of different authors getting together
http://thrillerfest.com/faceoff/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 16th, 2015 at 7:22:19 AM permalink
Nareed
I finished "Red Land Black Land." I'll read next the other non-fiction book by Dr. Mertz, and then maybe delve into her recommended reading list. I may even get a free copy of "The Book of the Dead," assuming the copyright has expired (it's only a few millennia old, so who knows <w>).

For audible, I'm onto general histories or modern ones for now. After that, I should really try more Middle Ages lectures, as it remains the period I'm least acquainted with in western history. After that I may turn East for a while. Recently I read a bit of Chinese diplomatic mail from around 250 CE regarding Rome and Parthia (Persia). It piqued my curiosity.
June 22nd, 2015 at 5:28:56 PM permalink
Nareed
I got Dr. Mertz's "Tombs, Temples and Hieroglyphs." She's very entertaining while she's being informative. Though I must confess I got lost in her explanation of how Sir Petrie developed a relative chronology for early (ie pre-dynastic) Egypt.

On audio I couldn't make up my mind, therefore I decide to re-listen to a 48-hour history of the US. For some reason I'm finding it more interesting on the second go-round.
June 22nd, 2015 at 5:46:22 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Nareed

On audio I couldn't make up my mind, therefore I decide to re-listen to a 48-hour history of the US. For some reason I'm finding it more interesting on the second go-round.

If something entertains me, I'll often watch/read/listen to it many times over. I find that things which entertain me make me think, and if I hear something that provokes thought, I'll go off on my own little thought journey for a bit and information passes me by whilst I'm gone. Another go around often reveals stuff I missed, and that stuff is usually good, too.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 23rd, 2015 at 6:41:18 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
If something entertains me, I'll often watch/read/listen to it many times over.

Oh, I re-read and re-re-read pretty much all the books I like. I've broken paperbacks by re-reading them too many times. I say a book that can only be read once is poor (except 1984).

Quote:
I find that things which entertain me make me think, and if I hear something that provokes thought, I'll go off on my own little thought journey for a bit and information passes me by whilst I'm gone. Another go around often reveals stuff I missed, and that stuff is usually good, too.

What else are you supposed to do? Often I have to rewind a podcast or audiobook for just such reasons.
July 7th, 2015 at 7:08:56 AM permalink
Nareed
I'm close to finishing both "Tombs Temples and Hieroglyphs" and the long lecture series on US History (we're at the fin de siècle era already). I don't know what to get next. Good thing Audible stashes the monthly credits....
July 23rd, 2015 at 7:43:24 AM permalink
Nareed
I found "The Heritage Podcast," subtitled "A complete Liberal Arts education in podcast form."

I take the subtitle with a grain of salt, though the host has posted an extensive reading list and some links, but it's proving to be a very wide overview of the humanities and history.
July 23rd, 2015 at 9:54:12 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Reading White Fire by Preston & Child
It involves my favorite fictional detective, FBI special agent Penderghast.
This the latest book in the Penderghast series of books.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 2 of 13<12345>Last »