Miapolis for $22 billion

Page 1 of 51234>Last »
April 20th, 2015 at 9:32:45 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Have you see this plan for Miapolis? A $22 billion project with a 3000' tower that will be a vertical city, tourist, and entertainment complex.

Both the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) have a regulation that no one can build any antennae or structure over 2,000 ft above ground level. This is to prevent those structures from being a hazard to air navigation. In North Dakota the KVLY Television Tower is 2,063' tall and was built in 1963. It's construction motivated the height restriction which no one has ever tried to break.
April 21st, 2015 at 2:20:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Looks like one of those self-contained units they used to have in SimCity 2000.

I don't know that I see success. If it gets built you could be sure all the people working in those bistros will not be able to afford to live there. Then there is the density thing. How many people have to buy in to this? 50,000 Inside at any time? Thinking of condos alone, how many will be able to have an outside window? Will people buy the ones without?
The President is a fink.
April 21st, 2015 at 5:13:53 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AZDuffman
How many people have to buy in to this? 50,000 Inside at any time? Thinking of condos alone, how many will be able to have an outside window? Will people buy the ones without?

An amusement park, a trade center, an observatory, rotating sky-lounge, a shopping mall, restaurants, condominiums, office space, a hotel and a marina, to be built on a 28-acre site. The proposal plans call for 1,000 housing units and up to 46,000 construction jobs over the construction period and to bring 35,000 permanent jobs to Miami.

Watson Island is presently the site of Jungle Island since 2003.
http://www.jungleisland.com/index.cfm

Developments costing between $280 million and $1 billion have been proposed for this island for the last decade. They have all fallen through largely because of traffic concerns. A $22 billion project with a 3000' tower means that the FAA will have to break their 50 year height restriction for the maximum height of buildings for a location only 6 miles from Miami airport.
April 21st, 2015 at 12:06:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
When it's done and only 1/4 full because it's
too expensive to live there, it will be another
Revel. I wouldn't live in a place like this if it
were free. Like living in a ant farm.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 21st, 2015 at 3:03:31 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
When it's done and only 1/4 full because it's
too expensive to live there, it will be another
Revel. I wouldn't live in a place like this if it
were free. Like living in a ant farm.

Happens all the time. People are shown an idealized view of the finished place and are all up for moving in. When the reality hits they are not so hot. In this case your car is going to be a quarter mile away from your unit and a good 15-20 minutes to get to it and out of the complex. Look at the layout, some condos will probably not even have windows to the outside. The ones that do will be unopenable and give the feeling of being in a fishbowl. The HOA fees and rules will be a killer. It will be like living in the Wynn, never able to leave.

Then there are the restaurants. Really, will enough tourists come by? I doubt it, getting inside will be a huge hassle. All to go inside some kind of super mall/office complex?

One place I saw that made this concept work is Crystal City near D.C. But that is a very dense metro area that gets terrible weather.
The President is a fink.
April 21st, 2015 at 3:18:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Miami is Hades in the summer, air will
be killer expensive. To me it would be
like living on a big cruise ship. Who
would want to do that. You're right
about the cars. I think they're hoping
most who live there will work there.
But you'll have thousands of menial
workers who can't afford to live there,
so they'll have to park their cars somewhere.

Wait till the first cat 4 hurricane. I'm sure
that's why the tower has splits in it, so
the wind can pass thru. Even so, I would
get as far away as possible.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 21st, 2015 at 3:35:45 PM permalink
Pacomartin

I don't know if anyone else remembers the "World Inside" 1970-71, where the population of earth has reached 75 billion and everyone lived in standardized 1000 floor skyscrapers. The world is entirely about power and sexual conquest, and no one went outside anymore.

Very influential on me at age of 13. When I met someone who lived in Manhattan, I just assumed elementary schools were on a floor in the apartment buildings. They just laughed at me. It wasn't until 40 years later that someone built an elementary school right into an apartment building.

At the time in Manhattan there was one apartment building with it's own zip code (10162 ) with about 950 apartments. Since there was 200 kids in my elementary school, I figured that was about right. I didn't realize how unusual it was to have that many apartments in a building, and that the NYC school district would have gigantic elementary schools.
April 21st, 2015 at 4:32:14 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
There exists a single building town in Alaska : http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/whittier-alaska-most-of-town-s-residents-live-in-1-apartment-building-1.2935295
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 21st, 2015 at 4:43:22 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
I don't know if anyone else remembers the "World Inside" 1970-71,

Present.

Quote:
The world is entirely about power and sexual conquest, and no one went outside anymore.

I've read few worse dystopias, always excluding 1984.

Niven likes the idea of arcologies as well. His stories about Gil Hamilton mention various types of buildings for crowding people together separately.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 21st, 2015 at 5:06:22 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
I've read few worse dystopias

Well I was very young, but I didn't know it was a dystopia. A "Canticle for Leibowitz" was my idea of a dystopia. If the world had kept on increasing like it did in the 1950's, we would be over 9 billion already, and we would have reached 75 billion in just over a century. I thought "A World Inside" was kind of a future projection.

The idea of population collapse or geriatric populations was not widely discussed in 1970.
Page 1 of 51234>Last »