august 22nd....national honey bee day.
August 27th, 2015 at 5:21:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
August 30th, 2015 at 6:04:09 PM permalink
AZDuffman
LATE SUMMER UPDATE

Been a month since I opened the hive to see how the ladies are doing. I freely admit that I am currently a "bee haver" not yet a "beekeeper." But at the least I am getting confidence and getting myself ready to do far better next season. Meanwhile some things to share.

SMOKE GETS IN YOUR EYES

The humble smoker. As crazy as it sounds, getting it working right took several tries over the season. Anyone can light a fire, but to get lots of smoke is harder. This fall I need to get into the woods and get some pine needles and try them out, they are the most suggested fuel. Hard as it is to believe, I walked a mile on the rail-trail here and not one pine tree! I will look when I visit my parent's house or at another local park, then test the fuel. Some beekeepers do not even use smoke much if at all, and I can sort of see why. The effect is momentary. Still, I am going to have to get even better and making a lot more of it in the smoker.

DRAWING COMB

Look at these two pics close. The first is a "foundation." In nature, they would not have this and would have to build comb from scratch. This gives them a start. Here is the weird part--the foundation has a base for the comb, and it is exactly the same dimension. So the bees happily build right on top of it. But they are bees, not skilled, union, bricklayers. When they build, it is not like watching a wall go up, nice and even. It looks really "wavy" which you can slightly see in the first pic, but the pic really does not do justice to the "relief" which really freaked me out the first few times, until I figured out what was happening.

The next pic is capped honey. Note that not all cells are filled. Also note the "relief" in the upper right hand corner vs. the untouched lower right hand corner foundation. This pic is the opposite side of the frame in the other pic.

I am a bit worried as it does not appear there is nearly enough honey for winter. I have resumed feeding them sugar water and will feed like crazy until early fall. Hoping for the best. Either way I plan to order a second hive and package next spring just in case they do not survive. With my luck they will and I will be ready for a "split" but no home for the split colony. Cross that bridge when I come to it.
The President is a fink.
August 30th, 2015 at 8:56:04 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
The humble smoker. As crazy as it sounds, getting it working right took several tries over the season. Anyone can light a fire, but to get lots of smoke is harder. This fall I need to get into the woods and get some pine needles and try them out, they are the most suggested fuel. Hard as it is to believe, I walked a mile on the rail-trail here and not one pine tree! I will look when I visit my parent's house or at another local park, then test the fuel. Some beekeepers do not even use smoke much if at all, and I can sort of see why. The effect is momentary. Still, I am going to have to get even better and making a lot more of it in the smoker.
Somebody may as well mention it. I wonder if the clippings from someones MJ grow would be perfect? I think so. It may extend the time effect of the smoke. I'm sure of it, but that doesn't mean I'm right.

I know you don't use, but the idea is sound. There is a possibility of helping bee keepers around the globe. Would one of those "vape" pens work? Sounds easy enough and no smoke in the little bee's lungs? Happy bees are productive bees, keeps 'em buzzed. It borders on yet another epiphany.

Surely someone has tried ganja already, haven't they?

When I was young, I had an "electric pipe", it was made of brass, threaded and at the bowl end it had two fittings and little valves. One of the valve ports was connected to an air pump from a fish tank [this may help you?] with clear appropriately sized hose. The other was an inlet port? I don't remember all the mechanics of it, it was simple, and it put out some serious smoke, hands free. You have skills to adapt the air pump to your smoke tank there?

Great thread, AZ.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 30th, 2015 at 9:25:08 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: petroglyph
Would one of those "vape" pens work?

That's interesting -- those things can blow quite a haze.

But I don't think I'd try it without knowing whether it would harm the bees first.

Conceivably, you could use several at once I suppose. I'd just be afraid of killing bees, without knowing for sure how'd they react.

Nicotine is suppose to kill frogs by heart attack (I think)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 31st, 2015 at 4:29:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine

Nicotine is suppose to kill frogs by heart attack (I think)

Nicotine is very bad for various insects. When I was a PCO we had a termite control system and always had to warn the smokers to wash their hands well before they used it as the nicotine negatively affected system performance. Of course, typical smokers they said "meh" before the word had been invented.
The President is a fink.
August 31st, 2015 at 5:24:53 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
what was it bob hope and bing crosby sang to dorothy Lamour?

Hookah, Hookah, Hookah, ... a nicotine bazooka?

any azealeas in the area? Honey will poisonous if there are.
September 2nd, 2015 at 5:51:10 PM permalink
AZDuffman
MINI UPDATE

I should have started feeding earlier. Three ponds of sugar gone in less than a week, just put five more in. Have to start buying, sadly missed a local sale. By spring I need 50-75lbs in stock.

With still a month or so of fair weather, I am hoping still enough time to get honey production up. Next year I will feed longer in spring. I really do not see a lot of nectar flow nearby, so feeding I think will be key. Live and learn.
The President is a fink.
September 2nd, 2015 at 6:59:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: AZDuffman
MINI UPDATE

I should have started feeding earlier. Three ponds of sugar gone in less than a week, just put five more in. Have to start buying, sadly missed a local sale. By spring I need 50-75lbs in stock.

Have you looked into trying to grow sugarcane in your backyard?

: )
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?