April 24th, 2016 at 12:16:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Face
As an aside, if anyone needs wasps, I got a metric ton =p

Always ready to help! Found this:

Quote:
If it has more than 6 legs DONT EAT IT.

If it has a stinger, remove and BOIL IT to neutralize the poison, but even then some still have reactions.

Remove anything that can poke or cut... so legs and wings should go.. remember it's the "juicy stuff" inside that you are really after.. not the puny legs.

It's too easy to find other bugs.. best to stick to them.

You can eat bugs individually, but they are easier to eat and usually taste better if you throw them in to a soup or stew.. Maggots cook up just like rice.. you'll never notice the difference.... Add some roots and you'll think it's store bought stew.

Easier than bugs.. try worms... boiled earthworms are just like pasta noodles, and pretty east to dig, high in protein, and taste good once cooked. remember to "milk" them by squeezing out the poop.

Bon Appétit!
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 24th, 2016 at 1:09:24 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Are you positive it's dead? I thought there was a natural cycle to queens coming and going, and in a disaster, more can be made?

Sucks if it's so, but good for you for jumping right back in. Sorting it out is half the fun =)

It's gone. I will get some pics sometime this spring to show, there is no larve at all. This summer I will build a better stand and be set up for next year, cash just a hair too tight this year plus may re-purpose that part of the garden first.
The President is a fink.
April 24th, 2016 at 1:35:59 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
As an aside, if anyone needs wasps, I got a metric ton =p
A wasp-hound nose only requires five wasps who've been trained to swarm at detecting some selected specific chemical .... I don't know of any commercial use of wasps by the ton except perhaps in the Emerald Triangle when the eradication cops show up.
April 24th, 2016 at 8:44:29 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I think there's a market for wasp "royal jelly" as an energy supplement.

Edit: Added this image:
April 25th, 2016 at 11:13:53 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: AZDuffman
It's gone. I will get some pics sometime this spring to show, there is no larve at all. This summer I will build a better stand and be set up for next year, cash just a hair too tight this year plus may re-purpose that part of the garden first.

According to this article, as long as there are eggs, there is a chance the hive can transform one of them into a new queen. it also outlines a procedure for introducing a "mail order bride" to take over egg laying duties.
April 25th, 2016 at 11:32:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Ayecarumba
According to this article, as long as there are eggs, there is a chance the hive can transform one of them into a new queen. it also outlines a procedure for introducing a "mail order bride" to take over egg laying duties.

Thats the thing. No eggs. She must have died in winter.
The President is a fink.
April 26th, 2016 at 5:24:47 AM permalink
Fleastiff
>>>> Remember to 'milk' them by squeezing out the poop.
Is that similar to 'deveining' shrimp when it ain't no vein at all?

I'm not sure I'd be up to the task of milking worms.

Now you beekeepers had better stick to your guns.... you may soon be among the very wealthy as purveyors of the magic elixir that saves the world from the zombie virus in some Walking Dead situation. There are only nine pheromones emitted by the Queen...and one of them is worth billions once we finally achieve the SuperBug situation everyone is predicting. Paco is probably buying up shares already in some firm that can incorporate the pheromone into the inner diameter of an IV tube so nosocomial infections can't take hold.
May 10th, 2016 at 11:36:54 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote: Ayecarumba

Thats the thing. No eggs. She must have died in winter.

According to beeinformed.org, 44% of the nation's bees in commercial hives were lost in the 2015-16 season. Depressingly, the summer death rate was as high as the winter's.

The article notes that mites are the cause of a lot of the loss. The author mentions bees from untreated amateur hives spreading the mites and accompanying viruses to treated commercial hives after their own colony gets crippled. Scary. Sounds like an STD.
May 10th, 2016 at 12:10:43 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Mites, mite-born virus, insecticide, insecticide-induced addiction...... everyone has a theory.
May 10th, 2016 at 1:32:33 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote:
If it has more than 6 legs DONT EAT IT.

Those survivalist guys frequently eat scorpions, so that one is not an absolute. In fact, scorpion I'd try, the rest ...
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]